General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I'm not sure what to do - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
To do the windscreens, or another role?

Trouble is, I can't go back to where I was before (Auto Windscreens), or even the place before that (Autoglass - tho I dearly dearly wish I could, as I know my life would be sorted again) so I've only got these two choices!
He was a normal AA patrol man, the windscreen side might be better but if it's the same shift system as the patrols it will probably be hateful.
Rich
Old 12-03-2010, 01:21 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Thrush, just take some time out, maybe a holiday in Southend?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I've had the last two weeks out, and I hate Southend
Old 12-03-2010, 01:57 PM
mark
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do job 2 matt and to make extra money fit screens on the side as you will be getting them cheep from where you work
Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

why not become an avon lady?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:11 PM
PeterD
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
why not become an avon lady?
Dave the lads in a tight spot, the nhs have a 4 year waiting list for an operation like that, and thats after the hormone treatment

Avon Ladyboy's probably acheivable in a couple of months though!

Thrush, feel your pain mate, I saved and took four years out to retrain working nights and weekends. All because of working donkey(ish) jobs I didn't like.

Worth it though!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

As someone has already said.. I too have a mate that went from being a BMW Technician to an AA Patrol man and he absolutely hates it and is trying his hardest to find alternative employment. I assume the windscreen side would be different from a standard AA patrol but if two members have said maybe a little more thinking is involved ?!?!?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Farmer Giles
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have only skimmed this thread so forgive me if someones suggested it already but why not take the the office job you prefer and then carry on looking around for something else. Having the office based role on your CV won't do you any harm and it may open up other doors for you 6 months down the line.

2p
Old 12-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

The windscreen side of the AA is different to the Patrol side, from speaking to people in the windscreen side anyway...

It's not going to be a hundred miles from what I've been doing anyway, just more independant (no branch, no "home" location or anything)

What my dilemma is, is if I take the office based one, I can't see my salary changing anytime soon. So pretending all my bills and mortgage etc don't increase over the next x years, I'll still be entirely broke and struggling. If, and is more likely, that bills will rise year on year, and at some point the mortgage rate is gonna hike up, I will be truly fucked.

If I take the AA job, and manage to hit bonus etc by doing call out (which I don't wanna do) then I can have at least a surplus of money per month to live on.

However, if I don't make bonus then I'm just as fucked as taking the office job.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:08 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

sell your house and buy something smaller/cheaper
Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

Do you have any complaints about being ugly?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Why cant you go back to AutoGlass or AutoWindscreens?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by Thrush
The windscreen side of the AA is different to the Patrol side, from speaking to people in the windscreen side anyway...

It's not going to be a hundred miles from what I've been doing anyway, just more independant (no branch, no "home" location or anything)

What my dilemma is, is if I take the office based one, I can't see my salary changing anytime soon. So pretending all my bills and mortgage etc don't increase over the next x years, I'll still be entirely broke and struggling. If, and is more likely, that bills will rise year on year, and at some point the mortgage rate is gonna hike up, I will be truly fucked.

If I take the AA job, and manage to hit bonus etc by doing call out (which I don't wanna do) then I can have at least a surplus of money per month to live on.

However, if I don't make bonus then I'm just as fucked as taking the office job.
Comparing basic to basic or top dollar to top dollar for both jobs, it would appear that you're gonna be fucked either way if your outgoings increase?! From the figures you're quoting there aint a massive difference between the two...
Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Adrian - Well I walked out of Auto Windscreens without any notice so I can't see them taking me back, and Autoglass told me to leave, so I can't see them taking me back either

Mike - I am gonna be fucked yes, but I have more scope at AA to earn more in bonus, where there isn't any bonus at the other job, just flat rate per annum...
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Mike C
The Special One

I thought you mentioned overtime though to boost it up.

But as said before, take the higher paid and look for something else from DAY ONE! Get another job of an evening, even if its only something crappy for a few nights a week. It'll keep you earning and not spending and can help fund re-training or something. HGV or All-Terrain FLT licences would both be tickets to something better paid
Old 12-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Mike, sorry; the second job does come with "compulsory" overtime taking the basic wage from £18,500 to £20k, but £20k is the top whack flat salary. Whereas the AA job comes in at £18,700 base, with productiviy and call out bonus expected of £300-£600 (realistic) per month (so in effect, £23-25k a year acheiveable OTE) SO yeah the basics match more or less, but the "add on's" are somewhat different. However, if I don't achieve any bonus etc then I could be MORE fucked in the AA job.

I'll defintely be looking to switch career's of course, but I think this time round I have to accept the job and go at it POSITIVELY which is something I didn't do when I made the switch to Auto Windscreens (the one I just walked out from) which is half the problem of being so miserable in it!