General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mobile speed camera advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mobile speed camera advice

do mobile speed camera vans allow 10% tollerence?
ive heard conflicting stories.

does anyone actualy know for sure?

i was on the A40 near northolt traveling east towards london doing 55-56 ( vehicle is limited to 56mph ) in a 50mph zone.
i spotted a van on the bridge.

im not 100% sure it was a speed camera van, it was white with a police type stripe along the length of the van, the camera was mounted on a telescopic pole poking out the roof about 10 - 15ft in the air.

im thinking it may also be an ANPR van instead.

guess i know for sure in a few weeks.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the words police were on it it is not a camera van.
All that I have ever known had cameras inside the van pointed out the window usually side window, they then record everything they see, and it runs on a continuous loop type setting, it will only keep a image when the operator presses the save button, most are digital, a few older ones are still vhs cassette!!
They wouldn't have taken any notice of you at that speed.
To dispel the myth, there is NO such thing as an official allowance, each force has thier own criteria for "allowance", most are 10% +2 on a+b class road unless dual carriageway, where they range between 10% + 3mph to 10% + 7mph.
Stop worrying, the SECRET FOUR LETTERS will get you out of any points and conviction anyway, should the worst happen, but whatever you do if you receive a NIP, notice of intended prosecution DON'T ANSWER IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, only with 1 of the secret 4.
tabetha
Old 06-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so where can i find these secret 4 letters?
the vehichle isnt owned by me, its a company goods vehicle so the NIP would go to them
Old 06-03-2010, 05:38 PM
spinus
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mar_k
so where can i find these secret 4 letters?
the vehichle isnt owned by me, its a company goods vehicle so the NIP would go to them
i too would like to know the answer to that as when you trigger a speed camera in a works van they notify your employer and your employer informs them you were the driver. cant see a way outta that
Old 06-03-2010, 06:31 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a bit tricky when it is your employer, as he effectively drops you in it to prevent himself getting done, he can always say they are not sure, won't go anywhere near court if they can't prove who the driver was, it is not an ofence to have forgotten or not be sure.
I have copies of all 4 sercret letters, amazingly simple but effective, can buy them on net etc.
tabetha
Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the company has to keep a log of all vehicles they run which has to be very detailed.
drivers names and such much be logged in order to comply with the o licence so there is no 'forgetting' who was driving unfortunately