General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Focus TDCi - what diagnositic system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
rocky_robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus TDCi - what diagnositic system?

I've got a 53 reg Focus TDCI and it jumped onto limp home mode this morning. After I stopped it started fine and has been ever since.

I bought one of those RAC diagnostic readers from argos today, but it won't pick up the system.
It scans through 5 protocols but came up with an error each time, in other words, can't pick up the OBD system.

Has anyone got any ideas if this thing works on 53 reg Focus's??
Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 PM
thebigyin
BANNED
BANNED

it could be faulty?, as obd11 is the most used communication method surely, ive never tried one of these type of tools so i cant be of much help, if you were anywhere near me id nip round and plug in my snap on scanner and see what the script is, anyone near you with proper diag kit?
Old 04-03-2010, 06:39 AM
rocky_robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I've asked questions to the folk selling these kits on ebay, but all say that the 53 Focus is not OBDII compliant, even though they revised the Mk1 to Mk1.5 only 2 years before. All 2004 diesels had to be compliant, therefore can't really see Ford changing the system knowing that the Mk2 Focus was to be launched the year later. They would have made sure that OBD2 was installed on the Mk1.5 models, surely! Hmmmmmm..

It's not the machine as I put in on my 55 Mondy TD and it picked up the OBD is seconds and I was able to run through the menus adn read for any faults (zero).

I don't know anyone with a diagnositic machine, hence why I bought one myself, unless anyone reading this is up my way!?!?