General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mobile phones, Android V Windows

Search this Thread

Old 27-02-2010, 03:15 PM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mobile phones, Android V Windows

I am in the market for a new contract phone. I am very tight so rule out the Iphone.

I do not talk that much, so a few hundred minutes is ideal, I have seen a HTC touch2 for £15 a month which I am leaning towards. (300 mins, 300 texts, unlimited net, free land line numbers on a 2 year deal)

I just want something I can smurf the net on occasionally and also a built in Sat nav whatsit would be good.

Anyway, in easy to understand terms for an idiot like me, what are the main differences between the two operating systems?
Old 27-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

what are the main differences between the two operating systems?
None really they are just that operating systems, ive had windows phones for years and also have an android one ( not used as its not as good as windows IMO )

the android on the face of it, is basic and simple to use, windows has a bit more too it, a little more complex, and can get real complex when going into it fully, but the HTC phones have there own easyier to use plug in on top of windows that does the everyday tasks.

get on www.xda-developers.com/forum and start reading up on the phones your interested in.

That touch2, has built in GPS so can put tomtom or something else on it, easy. And will come with opear web brouser which is one of the best brousers ive used.
Old 27-02-2010, 04:32 PM
arch

Cheers! Will get reading.
Old 27-02-2010, 04:46 PM
cjwood555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Touch Pro 2 on Vodafone and it's a complete bag of shite. Ridiculously slow, quite frequently either crashes, stops responding or fails to connect on calls/net and needs a reboot. I had Tom Tom on it and that never worked either - quite frequently failed to talk to the GPS properly and needed a reboot, and even more frequently would loose signal/comms half way through a journey and not inform TomTom, so it would think you'd stopped and therefore stop giving directions. Couple that to poor reception, flaky wifi implementation, generally buggy software and it's NOT a good deal. One of my particular bug-bears is that depending on which way you go to save a number, you get 3 different interfaces. Two of which let you add to an existing contact, and the other not. Also the messaging interface is poo - under 'Touch Flo', you can't select/delete individual messages, only entire threads, and you can't select the senders number to save/call - you can only do that in the normal windows interface. Mozilla is pants, only supports two tabs, quite frequently fails to recognise you tapping a link, jumps and scrolls around the pages without any relationship to what you're asking it to do, and crashes on some web pages. The camera is terrible. You can't send files/photos by bluetooth from the file explorer / photo album - you have to go to the bluetooth menu then find the file manually, with no thumbnails/previews. The 'noise cancelling speakerphone' is absolutely rubbish. There's no voice dialing. The light-sensor that turns the screen off when you're on the phone is completely unpredictable, and when the screen comes back on it goes back to the home screen, so the only way to operate 'press this number...' systems is via speakerphone. But making lots of calls in succession on speaker phone seems to result in speakerphone sticking on, or not but the earpiece making no sound, and the touchscreen not responding, which means you can't turn it off so have to pull the cover off and reset.

Seriously, don't get one.

Chris
Old 27-02-2010, 04:52 PM
cjwood555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christ...that ended up a long list!!!

Oh and I forgot that whilst TouchFlo may look nice, it only covers the first couple of layers of the UI, beyond which you're back to standard windows shit, which is impossible to use on a touchscreen.

Oh and you can't use your normal music files as ring tones, you have to copy them to the 'Ringtones' folder, wasting memory.

Oh and HTC have disabled the windows VoIP phone.

Oh and the email integration is rubbish - IMAP connections only display emails in the inbox, not any other folders. It won't delete emails via IMAP either, and somehow manages to stop googlemail from saving the sent items, which works fine on any other client.

Sorry...

There was a review of the iPod touch in what hifi this month and something they said registered with me: (to paraphrase) "there's no point having brilliantly capable kit if every time you use it, it brings you to tears". That is what this phone is like.

Chris

But if you really really want one, still, you can buy mine of me or swap it for a decent Sony Ericsson.
Old 27-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

cjwood555, thats the phone ive got, i take it your still running it with the vodafone supplied ROM? if so you soo need to flash it with a better one. and a radio aswell

tomtom runs well on mine

Only thing ill agree with is the cameras not up to much

Its the best phone ive ever used, tho i like my mates HD2
Old 27-02-2010, 05:59 PM
arch

Originally Posted by cjwood555
Christ...that ended up a long list!!!

Oh and I forgot that whilst TouchFlo may look nice, it only covers the first couple of layers of the UI, beyond which you're back to standard windows shit, which is impossible to use on a touchscreen.

Oh and you can't use your normal music files as ring tones, you have to copy them to the 'Ringtones' folder, wasting memory.

Oh and HTC have disabled the windows VoIP phone.

Oh and the email integration is rubbish - IMAP connections only display emails in the inbox, not any other folders. It won't delete emails via IMAP either, and somehow manages to stop googlemail from saving the sent items, which works fine on any other client.

Sorry...

There was a review of the iPod touch in what hifi this month and something they said registered with me: (to paraphrase) "there's no point having brilliantly capable kit if every time you use it, it brings you to tears". That is what this phone is like.

Chris

But if you really really want one, still, you can buy mine of me or swap it for a decent Sony Ericsson.

You not keen on it then

I only understood about a quarter of what you just wrote mate, I think a great piece of techno would be wasted on me.

Any other opinions for the cheaper end of the market? I want something with a good camera, how about the Nokia X6?

I've got a K850i which is ok, but not very bling:

Last edited by arch; 27-02-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 27-02-2010, 06:03 PM
arch

Originally Posted by Fil
cjwood555, thats the phone ive got, i take it your still running it with the vodafone supplied ROM? if so you soo need to flash it with a better one. and a radio aswell

tomtom runs well on mine

Only thing ill agree with is the cameras not up to much

Its the best phone ive ever used, tho i like my mates HD2
Sounds complicated this flash whatsit, will it need doing?
Old 28-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Originally Posted by arch
Sounds complicated this flash whatsit, will it need doing?

pretty straigt forward the guides are on the xda-dev site, to behonest i think any phone that has been messed with the network needs flashing, the misses has a nokia E72 from T-mobile and they had altered that, a quick flash with nokias latest firmware when she got it ironed out some issues!