General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Electronic dog training collars.....

Search this Thread

Old 25-02-2010, 08:38 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electronic dog training collars.....

Has anyone used these devices to train their dogs? At the moment Trevor our Lhasa Apso is starting to bark more and more, we are having trouble getting him to do as he is told etc (ie - come in from the garden etc). He's 8 months old now, pretty much toilet trained (although sometimes he will go indoors on purpose!!), will sit when we ask him to, just that sometimes he will bark for no reason at all, barks constantly for no reason and when we take him out for a walk he takes no notice of us whatsoever (always on his lead), plus he is pulling on his lead more. He's fine during the night, he never barks.

He gets plenty of exercise, we never neglect him but still a naughty stubborn shite!!!!!

Will one of these collars help or any other alternatives?

Chris
Old 25-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe he just hates his name?

Why not give him a dog name instead of a people name?
Old 25-02-2010, 09:00 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Mac

That will help train him better by calling him a dog type name LOL. My two bulldogs are called Alfie and Rose so that theory is out the window haha.

Can't comment on the collar never used one just trained them myself, though i know how difficult some dogs can be.
Old 25-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

just give him abit longer mate as 8months old he`s still a kiddy. ive used electric collars in the past but ive only ever trained springers and pointers.
Old 25-02-2010, 09:03 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Iain Mac

He loves his name mate, nothing to do with it really is it what i call him!!! Although cnut has been used a few times!!!!

rsmat - true he's still only young but he's got worse over the last month or so!
Old 25-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

have you ever watched me or the dog?? the woman that does that is very good! usually on sky in the day times
she uses noise sometimes to take the dogs mind of what he is doing, like stones in a bottle and rattles it hard which usually stops the dog being a pain.
she does use alot of treats for the dogs
Old 25-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by cfoster
He loves his name mate, nothing to do with it really is it what i call him!!! Although cnut has been used a few times!!!!

rsmat - true he's still only young but he's got worse over the last month or so!
thats what dogs do mate as they grow up they get better then worse then better..you should see the 8 month pointer i have..i use her to flush game for my lanner falcon....she does all the ranging correctly and points and then flushes on command... then the bird will come down from 1000ft and wallop the partridge the dog will sit at the side of the bird and his great....BUT once i get her home she like she`s had 50 E`s lol...she dont listen atall..but thats just the kid in her hopefully it will iron out with age and a good crack every now and then.
Old 25-02-2010, 09:12 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

kick him in the balls
Old 25-02-2010, 09:25 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

a lad i worked with used one of these on his chinese shar pei (sp)..he said it twigged after a couple of hours..he had to keep some sort of collar on it because it knew it wouldnt get a shock if not..careful which one you pick if you do because some give a nasty old shock
Old 26-02-2010, 06:23 AM
rich123
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

use water to spray him when he's barking alot that normaly sorts things out,and as for walking him take him somewere he does'nt know and see how he behaves there,
Old 26-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Pushrod
Former Sponsor

No need for an electronic collar.
The dogs just playing up because you're not training it properly.
The barking during the day is totally playing up. He needs to know where the boundaries are and will push as hard as he can to find them.
Get a book specific to your breed.
All dogs are different, I'm more in collies but for them when he barked he got put outside and tied up.
When he was quiet and setteled he got to come in again.
One week of hard work and bingo, job done.
With training a dog you really have to put the effort it. It is not easy but pays rewards.
Electronic collars are only for lazy useless turds who would rather cause the dog suffering as to getting off their arse and putting some effort in.