General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Was In A Car Crash...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:19 AM
Skiman
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was In A Car Crash...

First car crash ive ever been in...absolutely crazy, here is the story (if you could be arsed reading this late at night)

My mate was driving, Yaris T sport, on our way to work as we both dj at a nightclub. Were driving for about 10mins in absolutely awful conditions...like we are talkin wipers on full steam and you can still barely see...we knew the conditions were bad so we were taking it easy, well easier than usual...

Got to a bend, we were doing 60mph on a dual carriageway/main road we saw the HUGE puddle ahead, i said watch that, so he let off and touched the brake, BIG MISTAKE!!!! Back end instantly stepped out, lost control of the car, a grass bank of about 10feet seperates the two sets of traffic, we went straight across that, missed all the oncoming traffic, fuck knows how and smashed into the barrier at around 50/60mph.. Funny thing was tho, as he lost control of the car he shouted, and this is EXACTLY what he said,

"Fuck Ryan, im sorry mate, we are gonna die."

I was in the passenger seat and the point of impact was right where i was sitting...you know the way people say your life flashes before your eyes, thats absolute BOLLOCKS!!!! As we were spinning and when i knew we were hitting the barrier, the only thing i thought of was, right fuck we are gonna hit this, lets make it as painless as possible...so i pushed up against the door and wedged myself against the door and dash, spreadin my legs like a mofo...absolutely cracked the barrier...both of us sat there for about 10seconds, didnt say a word, then we both hopped outta the car..as its a mate im not gonna claim for any sort of personal injury or anything like that...

was pretty crazy tho..the police arrived and were really pretty sound about the whole thing, they werent arseholes at all which suprised me..

Starting to feel a little bit of pain now tho..havnt been to the hospital yet, tho if im in pain 2moro i think a trip to the doc may be needed...

Both of us walked away with minor scratches etc..but the car we think is a writeoff...dunno how the fuck we missed oncoming traffic and how we both managed to walk away from it...scariest thing thats ever happened to me anyways...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:22 AM
RSTurboPaul

lucky lucky bastards!

Can't judge as wasn't there but I think keeping his foot in might have been a better idea

Glad you're alright though m8 - hope tomorrow isn't too painful.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:41 AM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

your both very lucky, i have been in the exact same situation apart from we did a full 360, tryed to get it back but couldnt, next thing we bounced off the barrier, the stereo shot out of the dash and whacked me in the chest and then wrapped the car round a lamp post in a Renault 19 16v.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:42 AM
Skiman

See what do you do in a situation like this...???

Do i claim or do i not? im not really in that much pain, i have sore ribs, and a sore back but thats about it..he is a mate and i would hate to lose a mate jus over a few 1000...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:44 AM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

have a word with him, my mate asked me to claim and i gave him half toward fixing his car so we both won.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

You lads are lucky! Glad your both ok mate it could have been alot worse!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:45 AM
RSTurboPaul

Well, his insurance will be paying out for a new car anyway so, if it really does hurt or stop you from doing stuff (working?), then consider claiming as that's what insurance is for I reckon.

His renewal will be shocking now next year anyway...

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Lucky, with the oncoming traffic etc.

Hit standing water at anything above 40 - 45mph and your gonna start aquaplaning. Your tyres have NO contact with the road surface whatsoever, as they can't shift the water quick enough.

Golden rule is NO brakes and keep the steering wheel solidly pointed in the direction you want to exit.

You'll be stiff in the morning as the bruises come out, take it steady
Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 AM
RSTurboPaul

Originally Posted by NUTS RuS
Golden rule is NO brakes and keep the steering wheel locked solid in the direction you want to exit.
Excellent, my ham-fisted driving has been half right all these years
Old 08-01-2005, 02:52 AM
Skiman

Cheers boys... im glad we are both alrite...you canthelp but think about the "what ifs"

Dunno about the whole claiming thing, i guess we will jus hav to see...scary tho..
Old 08-01-2005, 04:43 AM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lucky people!
Get a claim in,he won't be paying for it so why would you lose a mate? Thats what insurance is for. Every fooker else does these days for a lot less then you've just done.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:49 AM
AJ Escos
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

his ins is gonna take a beating anyway, so IMO claim and use the money for a proper lads weekend (and dont forget, what happens away stays away ) that should cushion the blow
Old 08-01-2005, 06:26 AM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just my opinion but i hate people claiming just for the sake of it. fair enough if your injuries stop you from working then seek compensation. thats is what the system is there for. but pisses me off when people make whiplash complaints when they not hurt at all. a lot of mates have and between three of them have made near enough 10k!

making everyone elses premiums go up as a result! its the whole attitiude of get as much as we can, taking advantage of benefits, etc, etc! grrr!

rant over!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:30 AM
RobS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

glad you both ok
Old 08-01-2005, 08:20 AM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by NUTS RuS

Hit standing water at anything above 40 - 45mph and your gonna start aquaplaning. Your tyres have NO contact with the road surface whatsoever, as they can't shift the water quick enough.

Golden rule is NO brakes and keep the steering wheel solidly pointed in the direction you want to exit.
SOunds like you should have bought a lottery ticket after missing that oncoming traffic

Theres a stretch of road near me that when it rains the water runs across the road (dual carriageway and down hill 70 mph limit) and as soon as people drive down there @ 70 mph and see the water running across the road they slam the brakes on A woman was killed on this water running across the road, she hit the brakes, car spun and ended up hitting the bank and tree's if people just keep a gap ahead of them and just drive over this water the car behaves fine
Old 08-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

thats lucky mate

glad u both ok

what vehicle was it?

Old 08-01-2005, 09:23 AM
JimRS

Iv been in a near accident. doing 70mph on the motorway driving a Peugeot 405 estate. it was rush hour 5pm.

Traffic ahead was slowing down and got the late reaction, relising traffic is closer and closer to me, JAMMED the brakes on, the Master Cylinder went. OHHHH FUCK!.... u know u get 3 lanes and between each lane theres a white line with a bit of gap on each side? well i managed 2 swerve through there. Just came 2 a rolling stop using my handbrake very gentley.

After i stop i stayed in the slow lane doing 20mph. brakes were totally gone.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:40 AM
cozzie4d

Damn you guys were lucky.
Good luck m8.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Skiman

It was a, Toyota Yaris T-Sport...

I still cant decide about the claim..
Old 08-01-2005, 01:54 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Glad everyone is ok. Hows the car?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:57 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

glad to hear your ok Ryan, mate of ours just rolled his 4x4 saph a few weeks ago, he thought that puttin nis foot down would straighten it out.............WRONG, shot across the central reservation missed every car passed two lamposts and tumbled down an embankment 60foot to the bottom and landed on its roof, everyone got out ok though
Old 08-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by Skiman
I still cant decide about the claim..
Whats to decide?
Can you still work?
Can you still do the things yo want to?

In that case dont.

Like the man said
Originally Posted by mattbibs
just my opinion but i hate people claiming just for the sake of it. fair enough if your injuries stop you from working then seek compensation. thats is what the system is there for. but pisses me off when people make whiplash complaints when they not hurt at all. a lot of mates have and between three of them have made near enough 10k!

making everyone elses premiums go up as a result! its the whole attitiude of get as much as we can, taking advantage of benefits, etc, etc! grrr!

rant over!
IF you CANT do certain things, then talk to your mate. Hes gonna get cained for the smack anyway. Its nothig personal at the end of the day. Just preserving your interests.

Would you claim if you'd been driving? Would you like you mate to claim if he was fine? What about if he wasnt fine?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Skiman

Cheers scott,

Car is a writeoff, totally wrecked....assessor is out next week to hav a look at it, its in a bad way, it was all due to that weather last nite, was a fookin nightmare...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Nik_W

Glad to hear you're ok, you're both very very lucky!

As for the claim, speak to your mate. At the end of the day if he has to claim for the car then his insurance hike should be the same whether you make a personal injury claim or not.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:04 PM
dannyblackpool
Boost Builder

never forget going down m6 on way home from kirby lonsdale when a golf vr6 past me going for gold in outside lane, started to give chase when he hit water streaming across from central reservation just as he was pulling into middle lane....................... fuck me 360 spin and into the inside lane and i thought oh shit and slammed on....................................

next thing hes driving along as if nothing happened it had gripped and ended up facing the right way perfectly in 1st lane doing about 60 i pulled up along side and looked over to see he was ok and he just kept starring ahead with both hands on the steering wheel white as a ghost unreal
Old 08-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Skiman

He is claiming for the car, he is telling me to make a personal injury claim,but i dont know if its one of those ones where he is telling me to make a claim but he actually doesnt want me to... Well i have a loss of work, couldnt dj last nite, cant dj 2nite as my back and ribs are killin me and i cant dj 2moro so lets jus say thats over Ł500 in 3 days ive lost
Old 08-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

sorry skiman, i'll open me eyes next time

Old 08-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Skiman

LOL its alrite bud
Old 08-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Adam Ash
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Claim then
Old 08-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Then claim. But dont take the piss.

Simple.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:54 PM
jonty

lucky fookers,i hit black ice in my works transit at 80 mph did a full 180 deg spin went bonett to bonett with a mondeo still at 80 mph,went up a grass verge thro some trees and into the farmers field all i did was ripped off the front bumper and smashed a back light
Old 08-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Skiman

Originally Posted by Rich_w

Simple.
what u mean by dont take the piss?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Phil
Jeebus

If you can't work and have a genuine injury then you should claim. Simple as that really!

For other people: If you don't have a real injury then don't fake one to claim that's what is putting insurance premiums sky high!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by Skiman
Originally Posted by Rich_w

Simple.
what u mean by dont take the piss?
Well. You reckon Ł500 down for this weekend. Then claim Ł500. If you cant work next weekend as well. Then claim a grand or so.

Dont try it on for 5-6 grand if you're only out of work for a few days. In this case Honesty is better. If your mate thinks your taking the mickl. Then he wont be a happy bunny will he.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Skiman

Oh i wouldnt go for anything near Ł5000, i will prob only claim for loss of earnings and thats it..
Old 08-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Gaaables
Advanced PassionFord User

glad to hear your ok mate

if you are gonna claim (and u might as well as he is) then you might as well go all the way with it, its his company you getting the cash from, not him
Old 08-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Lee R

what is there to claim for? it was an accident? accidents happen, its life

yeah, go on claim, fuck all our premuims up

I know what you mean about the life flashing before you being crap, when I binned my Saff, I just said out loud "this is gonna hurt", and pushed myself back into my seat and held myself rigid. Had a sore neck and back, but with no seat belt, could have been much worse, specially if i'd have gone 'through' the bridge I crashed in to

Which makes me thank fuck I was ok makes ya think doesnt it?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Chris Honeywell
Advanced PassionFord User

M8 you were well lucky
Could of been a lot worse
i would be glad to walk away from that
Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 PM
caprixpack

Default my nova

cool when i crashed my nova at 85 mph the only thing i thought was shit this is gonna hurt. i hit 2 barriers and a lamp post, and had to climb through the passenger door cos the driver door was masshed shut. took a 2 inch chunk out of the front 2 alloys front suspension on both sides had collapsed and the front bumper was in a hedge. it was a mess.

should have got some pictures of the front and other side because they were worse