General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any plasterers in the house?

Search this Thread

Old 17-02-2010, 04:13 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

If its that old it may well have asbestos in it, you need to get it tested before a plasterer tries to grind the high points off or remove it
Old 17-02-2010, 04:41 PM
bad boy rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont gaurentee it will stick if i over skim artex, dont get me wrong done loads that have been fine but so much better job if you tack over with board then skim
Old 17-02-2010, 06:17 PM
ben_frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tbh without looking at the job its hard to know i skim over artex but never garantee it as the house is a 19cent building id would expect it to to have been re boarded by now lol but if its still a larved ceiling and it was artexed around the 60s i would say its a safe bet that its got lime wash or destemper under the artex (the artex also may contain asbestos)

scraping a larved ceiling is abit of a no no in my book as the scraping you should give it would 99% break the plaster between the larves and in time it will sag/crack

if you dont want the mess of taking it down and are keen on a good but cheap just board it and get someone to skim it

if your really keen board it yourself just find the joists and use 9.5mm ceiling boards you can now get them as a half board so there nice and light and its low so deffo a diyable

skim it would work out from me about Ł7 p sqr mtr thats including materials reskim is about Ł10 p mtr (dependant on the job and area) just to give you an idea what to pay

feel free to pm me on advise if you diy board it i can explain in detail how to go about it

Ben

Last edited by ben_frst; 17-02-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 17-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back Dave you caaaant...

Erm...

I had the artex plastered in the front bedroom of my house and it fell down after a few days.

Before the guys re did it I mixed a thicker solution of pva and left it to completely go off - ie the day before - before it was re done and its stayed up this time.

I'm taking no chances down stairs and over boarding the ceiling to plaster on top of that.
Old 17-02-2010, 06:31 PM
leers85
Part of the Furniture

im a plasterer mate and id overboard then skim it . you might get away with skimin over the artex but then you might not. best do it right 1st time. have you got any pics.
Old 17-02-2010, 07:42 PM
thebigyin
BANNED
BANNED

ive had loads of plaster work done over the years and ive never had a single prob with skimming over artex, all the various guys did was just scrape the high points off first and apply pva.
Old 17-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Turbo Pez

if its as old as you say, i'd overboard it and skim!!
Old 17-02-2010, 09:06 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

boarding over ceilings is a no no. Its low enough as it is. Im not compromising the height any more
Old 17-02-2010, 09:09 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
boarding over ceilings is a no no. Its low enough as it is. Im not compromising the height any more
Its 9mm you girl. take yer fooking shoes off and you'd never know LOL.

Board it and you know you will never have a problem.
Old 17-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
I wouldnt skim over artex if it were me, unless its really shallow. It will come off eventually
Who on earth has filed your head with that rubbish mate? Thats a job done badly! Never come across that !

Dave, come on, pic war needed, its been a while, see if you can get banned before the nights up

Last edited by Lee Reynolds; 17-02-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 17-02-2010, 09:15 PM
RS 500,
PassionFord Regular

you need to check the ceilings.. if a very old house like you say.. it will most definitely. be slat ceiling.. likely hood of it being old horse hair and lime.behind the artex.

if the ceiling is strong still... pva night before, and once before you start skimming allow to go sticky before you put multi finish on and always use thistle.

dont get monkeys to do it,, ask if they can do all types of plastering.. ie. sand and cement .finish. screeding.. a good spread will be able to do it all..

i would expect to pay Ł300 inc materials
Old 17-02-2010, 09:29 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Who on earth has filed your head with that rubbish mate? Thats a job done badly! Never come across that !

Dave, come on, pic war needed, its been a while, see if you can get banned before the nights up
my house WAS full of skimmed artex ceilings, all bonded and skimmed, all of which was coming away, spoke to several plasterers and none of them would guarantee a skim on artex, two of them in the trade for over 40 years. It may be fine on newer stuff but my older ceilings wouldn't take the weight of the skim........ I wouldn't ever skim artex personally altho as said I've seen good and bad results.
Old 17-02-2010, 09:31 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

maybe we have different plaster up here? cause i was thinking the same
Old 17-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

my house WAS full of skimmed artex ceilings, all bonded and skimmed, all of which was coming away, spoke to several plasterers and none of them would guarantee a skim on artex, two of them in the trade for over 40 years. It may be fine on newer stuff but my older ceilings wouldn't take the weight of the skim........ I wouldn't ever skim artex personally altho as said I've seen good and bad results.
Was it lath and plaster ceilings?
Old 17-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by danneth
Ive never come across it, nor have i heard any horror stories over it! I guess ive worked with and now use only the best
Old 17-02-2010, 09:48 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Judging by how good he is at building workshops you should get Chip and his lacky Shadrag to do it. He always seems keen to fill his week nights and meet new men off here by going to help them for nothing too.
Old 17-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incidently...

Mine was Lathe and Plaster ceilings and there was a possibility the plaster was on its last legs as close to its sell by date- hence maybe why it fell off.

Worth noting my guys used a spade to take the high points in the artex off and didn't fuck about doing it lol
Old 17-02-2010, 09:54 PM
It's Czech Mate

Was it lath and plaster ceilings?
it was artexed in the 60's and It was that lime and hair stuff underneath

I'm not here for a row, just speaking from experince and the plasterers I spoke to, and I spoke to a lot lol. It seems as though i'm not the only one judging from other replies, so you've heard of more than one case now.

Like I said, newer stuff 'probably' wouldnt give any problems.
Old 17-02-2010, 09:56 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by danneth
Fuck off you clitoris........unless you have anything worthwhile to add

Its not just me if you read the thread, theres both other customers and plasterers who say they wouldnt guarantee a skim over artex.
Old 17-02-2010, 10:24 PM
ben_frst

just setting the record straight you CAN skim over artex i did 2 just last friday about 25sqr mtrs of stipple an a boarded ceilng with vinyl silk paint on it i just gave it a good scrape one coat of pva and skimned it but that was in a mid-late 70s house not a 200year old building

i have skimmed a known destempered+artex celing and it stayed up i gave it all a 5-1 pva the day before then a thick 2-1 on the same day and it stayed up and the guys still in the house and ive been back a year or so on and it was still fine

its all down to judgement find a good plasterer and they make the judgement for you i would have a look but i dont really travel for work as my local clients keep me busy enough these days lol

out of interest what size are the ceilings? it would be nice to know what it cost you and how you get on for my pricing lol i always ask ppl who have had other plasterers in just to keep my prices inline

Ben
Old 17-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

it was artexed in the 60's and It was that lime and hair stuff underneath

I'm not here for a row, just speaking from experince and the plasterers I spoke to, and I spoke to a lot lol. It seems as though i'm not the only one judging from other replies, so you've heard of more than one case now.

Like I said, newer stuff 'probably' wouldnt give any problems.
LOL im not here for a row Mate. Its just building is one of the only things im clued up on so ill argue till the cows come home over it LOL!

Im not saying its never happened, ive just never come accross it! Our plaster scrapes it, scratches it, then bonds it.
Old 17-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by ben_frst
just setting the record straight you CAN skim over artex i did 2 just last friday about 25sqr mtrs of stipple an a boarded ceilng with vinyl silk paint on it i just gave it a good scrape one coat of pva and skimned it but that was in a mid-late 70s house not a 200year old building
What does it matter how old the house is though? Artex is artex. What some are saying is that it doesnt bond to the artex properly and falls off....to me that means it is irrelivant wether it is artex over gyproc board or lath and lime plaster.
Old 17-02-2010, 10:45 PM
ben_frst

Ive never come across it, nor have i heard any horror stories over it! I guess ive worked with and now use only the best
i have a good one for you old customs house in portsmouth gunwarf the guy i do work for had the main plastering contract and its a heritage building so it had to be larved and plastered sand/lime/horse hair/lime setting now the method is to render the larves trowl flat and prick it up for the lime skimming obviously using lime instead of cement can take anything up to 2 weeks in the cold to set properly (and is still pretty soft for some time after) to take the finish they did the main dining area applied the finish, the next day he goes in and the chippy is in the room above ripping up turning over and re nailing down the floor boards Mo (my mate) runs in screaming at the bloke asking him wtf he thinks hes doing lol and explains unless he want to be counter charged then to stop what hes going

so a row breaks out the site agent sides with the chippy to continue so Mo then gets the site agent to sign the paperwork stating that he is no longer resposible for the ceiling and the site agent laughs it off a few months after opening an old biddy is eating har dinner in ther when wham she get lumped with a big sheet of lime mortor

he was so glad when he read it in the paper i thought he would have framed it lol
Old 17-02-2010, 10:57 PM
ben_frst

What does it matter how old the house is though? Artex is artex. What some are saying is that it doesnt bond to the artex properly and falls off....to me that means it is irrelivant wether it is artex over gyproc board or lath and lime plaster.
the scraping of the artex on a larved ceiling can cause the plaster to break between the larves but like i said its judgment

it bonds to the artex its just if the artex has destemper cirefite or lime wash beneith it the mosture travels though the artex even when pva'd as the moisture is sat there for 2 hours + and breaks whatevers behind it down the problem with these old lime based finishes is they had no setting agent in the like gypsum based product now so at any time you can break it back down with water and retrowl it lol

portsmouth has one of the best plastering colleges in the country and when you train there as i did you use all lime base mortors for rendering and screeding so when your done it can be recycled by putting it back through a big drum forced action mixer and reused

Last edited by ben_frst; 17-02-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 17-02-2010, 11:03 PM
ben_frst

you dont even know its happering until you give it its 1st trowel and you get little blisters it the plaster i have had this happen on one or two jobs in the last 7 years but nothing to serious just cut the blisters out and applied some more plaster
Old 17-02-2010, 11:22 PM
ben_frst

theres so many mixed views but ive plastered over tiles which in the white book (british gypsum plastering code of conducts) says you can but just by applying a cleaner and a neat coat of pva to provide the key (no suction to kill off) and some guys wont touch it

theres alot of hear say in this trade but i passed the course and thats a full time nvq 2 years covering all plastering,rendering ,screeding, mouldings, tileing(originally a plasterers trade) and have always stuck by the book and keep up to date on new products and methods

i now also projection plaster (spray on with a machine) with one company i work with

and also use special finishes such as k rend sto ect yet im still awaiting my sto certification but theres still so much out there so many foreign products the as soon as i get asked about a new product i reserch it i actually have a contact who runs all the courses on the products he sells
Old 17-02-2010, 11:32 PM
ben_frst

http://www.diy-extra.co.uk/distemper.html i thought id just post this up as you seem genuinly interested this goes to show that distemper is know to be a paing they tlk about it making wall paper come back off now just imagine that but under artex on a 10sqr mtr ceiling with a wet 50kgs plaster pulling down on it

oh Dave you can also get an artex remover but i dont know how good it is i havnt tried it yet you could always try that then use an oil based sealer on the ceilings and skim

ive use oil based sealers in the past with great resaults
Old 18-02-2010, 06:45 AM
bad boy rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ben_frst
you dont even know its happering until you give it its 1st trowel and you get little blisters it the plaster i have had this happen on one or two jobs in the last 7 years but nothing to serious just cut the blisters out and applied some more plaster
Old 18-02-2010, 08:25 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Ben, thanks mate. Appreciate the help / advice. Fancy a trip to kent for a couple of days work!!? will put you up for the night! sounds like you know your stuff!

Here are a few pictures of the main bedroom so you have some idea of what im working with here. I forgot to get the measurements of the room.. ill do that tonight.

Remember, its an 1880's cottage and I have stripped the room back as much as I dare

Here is the ceiling. This is the kind of artex I want skimmed over. Its like this in the main bedroom. The hallway and the 2nd bedroom are the same. I also have a 3rd bedroom on a 3rd floor.. that also could do with the same treatment.

Old 18-02-2010, 08:43 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Also, Ben.. or even Mr Lee Reynolds.. (glad you are on this thread!)

In the same room as the ceiling I am talking about... The wall that divides the bedroom to the rest of the upstairs, I removed a lot of shit wallpaper from it. This also took away bits of plaster on the wall. The wall has always felt a bit spongy when pushed on. So I removed all the brittle / loose plaster on a few sections and revealed this as the structure of the wall.

Im assuming these bits of wood are the laths.

What is the general procedure in a case like this?

1) Pull all the plaster of the wall, leaving just the laths remaining and replaster?

2) Just remove sections of loose plaster and patch up?

3) easier to remove all the laths / plaster and put up plasterboard?? will this detract the character value from the house?

4) would the ceiling be made using the same process? laths?

Pics here

Old 18-02-2010, 11:32 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

This is the room in question. Want to get it all done asap as we are having all new furniture made and is due to be delivered soon (www.eatsleeplive.co.uk)

Old 18-02-2010, 12:25 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dave,

we had the same shit in our house, the only option was to overboard and skim.

must admit one room was so wank it needed a new ceiling.
Old 18-02-2010, 04:20 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

any pics of the process mate?
Old 18-02-2010, 05:29 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dave,

What the boarding and skimming?

sorry mean't to take the camera loads of times just never got round to it, they just seemed to cut long plaster board lengths and screw the to them in, then a good skim.

they had to rip it down in the front room though, all the work to 3 months, we were living at the mother-in-laws never again.
Old 18-02-2010, 07:10 PM
It's Czech Mate

Looks like it will be a nice house when done............have you noticed theres a fucking rabbit in your room ?
Old 18-02-2010, 07:30 PM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Maybe the rabbit was round to give him a quote
Old 18-02-2010, 07:39 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

A rabbit!?? where!?

dont be silly!
Old 18-02-2010, 08:15 PM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Beware of the Where Rabbit
Old 18-02-2010, 08:22 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This thread is going to degrade now!!!!!!!

What Rabbit
Old 18-02-2010, 09:21 PM
ben_frst

Dave

tbh im not interested in skimming over the ceiling and wouldnt really wanna put my name to it as you can see how brittle the plaster it on the walls the ceilings are the done using the same method just scraping that artex raises a load of issues with the asbestos which on confident it with contain and and the damage to the sand/lime tbh over boarding is the only way (bar removing) i would plaster any of it and im sure a few guys will say the same

as for the walls i would knock the plaster off and pull all the larves off and board that to just by looking at the pics i can see the lime /sand and lime base finish heres a quick test you can do lick your finger and rub the white finish and then look at you finger it will be white where the finish has broken down when you pva it the cirifite/distemper will absorb the water in the pva and will form a skin which will just peel

i would still strongly advise you to board the ceilng looking at the pics i can see that ceiling is far from straight so more than likley its blown in a few places with the buildings movement

if you think about how much ball ache it will save you in the end reskimming it would be a risk and if it paid of then great but they if it doesnt then you'll be pulling the lot off (whats left) and paying out all over again it could be a week or it could be 5 years but if you tack its perminant its your basicly using the board to clamp the sand and lime back up behind it

im always happy to advise especially another passionford member if you want to have ago on your own let me know and i'll get you on the right track

Quick Reply: Any plasterers in the house?