General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I Phone Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:16 PM
RS Bowk
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Phone Help

Im about to buy an I phone. The problem ive got is i dont knwo whether to go for the 3G or 3GS. I know the 3GS is obviously the better model but will i really notice the difference in speed compared to the 3G. Basicly i can have the 3G for free and it will be almost 100 nicker for me to have the 3GS. I dont want to shell out if there is not that much difference.

Your input would be gratefully received.

cheers
Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

get the 3gs as it is meant to be alot better for net speed etc,

but wait another 5 months for the 4g ???
Old 12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
adam151082
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by M K
get the 3gs as it is meant to be alot better for net speed etc,

but wait another 5 months for the 4g ???
thought the 4g was a mith?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

I'm due an upgrade, currently have the 3g. I'm waiting until the summer. 4g is not confirmed or denied, but I'm sure by August time we will have some information either way!!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:21 PM
RS Bowk

Ive defo rulled out waiting for the 4G as they will porbably want a lot of money for it when it does come out and cant wait. just unsure whether there is that BIG a difference in the 3G and 3GS.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:27 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

basically the 3gs is quicker processer wise. plus has video camera.

I'm very happy with my 3g, but if you ran them side by side there is a difference.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS Bowk
Ive defo rulled out waiting for the 4G as they will porbably want a lot of money for it when it does come out and cant wait. just unsure whether there is that BIG a difference in the 3G and 3GS.
like they dont already

Im due an upgrade on my 3g but am waiting as i heard a *rumour* from o2 on 3 occasions now that there should be a 4g about July/August
Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If you've never tried a 3GS, you'll be more than happy with a 3G, but if you then come across someone with an 'S' you'll wish you'd have gone for one.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:40 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

its not even a question IMO

Once you've tried a 3gs you'll kick yourself if you went for the 3g
Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Len
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Mark, I have the 3gs it's an excellant phone, did not try the 3g.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
RS Bowk

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
its not even a question IMO

Once you've tried a 3gs you'll kick yourself if you went for the 3g
Thats exactly what im worried about. Think its the 3GS then. Looks like im guna be putting my hand in my pocket. lol

Thanks people for your advice.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 PM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Len
Hi Mark, I have the 3gs it's an excellant phone, did not try the 3g.
Same^^ I fucking love mine. God knows why people call them a "posers phone"? People always have them out cause they're so fucking useful!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 PM
rs-tuner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayCC
Same^^ I fucking love mine. God knows why people call them a "posers phone"? People always have them out cause they're so fucking useful!
Agreed I have a 3gs all my mates took the piss for paying for a phone now they all want one. the best thing I have ever bought.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have got a 3G and my sister has got a 3GS, the differance in speed is next to nothing, also you can have video on the 3G
Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 PM
RS Bowk

Originally Posted by Twellsie
I have got a 3G and my sister has got a 3GS, the differance in speed is next to nothing, also you can have video on the 3G

So what u saying? Not worth the extra 100 nicker?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:53 PM
polly_x

Start to load a 3G up with some apps and data and you will wish you got the 3GS.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
RS Bowk

Hiya Stu long time no speak. Im kinda swayed to the 3GS but i will kick myself if its not worth the extra money.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 PM
polly_x

Hiya Stu long time no speak. Im kinda swayed to the 3GS but i will kick myself if its not worth the extra money.
Hi Mark, ive used both side by side loaded up with apps and data and the 3G is so much slower.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
RS Bowk

Good stuff, thanks. I will give you a shout soon RE bringing your car to Combe on the 3rd of july. Keep a space in your diary this year. lol
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

If you do buy an iphone dont forget to buy some 3 in 1 oil for your squeeky hinges you consumer robot.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 PM
polly_x

Good stuff, thanks. I will give you a shout soon RE bringing your car to Combe on the 3rd of july. Keep a space in your diary this year. lol
Its in the diary already Mark!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 PM
tejy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they'll defo make a new model... for those who havent seen the new iPad chek the link out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwjJ4Y566vI

get the 3gs...technology is always getting newer if u wait a then get the new 1 of watever they release next then u can be the 1st person to get that whiile everyone stuck with their 3gs's
Old 12-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The ipad! lol
Old 13-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought a 3G for my Mrs as a xmas pressy and it cost £330 (no contract)

The guy in the shop tryed to sell me the 3GS for and extra £105.

When I asked him what the difference was he said quicker to load apps, the 3G hardly takes a lifetime anyway....

and that some apps are not compatable with 3G, so for an extra £105 was it really worth it? and he said 'no'

job done then, save the £105 and buy 6 months road tax for your cossy!

Last edited by Cossy Mike; 13-02-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 13-02-2010, 08:42 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chopshop85
If you do buy an iphone dont forget to buy some 3 in 1 oil for your squeeky hinges you consumer robot.
Or maybe he just wants a really good phone. You stick to your Nokia 3210
Old 13-02-2010, 08:59 AM
rslove

3gs are ok but watch out for white screen of death back to apple for mine....got it back within 1 hour dropped in (whilst working on s2) smashed screen

b*llocks
Old 13-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Or maybe he just wants a really good phone. You stick to your Nokia 3210
The iphone is a techno babble penis extension that you can flash around in public to show the world that you dont mind paying £1000 for a 2 year contract (which still limits your calls a text to a certain usage a month) to have your life dominated by pointless apps that tell you were the nearest public toilet is (which you might have to pay a stupid ammount of money for like 90% of the apps available).

mobile phones are about calls and texts. Not about stupid motion sensor fishing games.

Like someone saying "you'll be more than happy with a 3G, but if you then come across someone with an 'S' you'll wish you'd have gone for one." because they will undoubtably be cooler than you in the eyes of all the cool kids around that have to have the latest pointless gizmo. Which means regardless of which one you choose, it will soon be out of date and the people that dont care about iphones wont notice, but the people that do care (people with your similar attitude towards mobile tech) will laugh at you for having a phone thats a few months old.
Old 13-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

3G has a 412Mhz processor, 3Gs has 600Mhz
3G has 2mp (still) camera, 3GS has 3mp with video support
3G has (theoretical) network speed of 3.6Mbps, 3GS can lock onto HSDPA @ 7.2Mbps
3G uses OpenGL 1.1 graphics, 3GS uses OpenGL ES 2.0 (faster graphics draw)
3GS also has voice control and an embedded magnetic compass
"Alledgedly" the 3GS also has longer battery life

On paper the 3GS is a better gadget. In use, it's barely no different. You won't see 3.6Mbps speed on a 3G and you won't see 7.2Mbps on a 3GS; the internet browsing speed/youtube buffer speed is negligable at best. The difference between the 2G network speed and the 3G is lightyears, but the same cannot be said for 3G > 3GS.

Basically, if you want a (slightly) better camera, video support, voice control and a compass (why? lol) then get the 3GS. If not, get the 3G...

As for Chop Shop's "informative and accurate" reply;

I don't perceive my iPhone as "flashy"
My contract is 12mths (actually thats not strictly true, it's a monthly rolling contract"
Which costs £22.50 a month for no limit on calls, texts, and unlimited internet
I've never seen a "toilet direction" app. Apps are pointless to the user that doesn't need them - to those that do, they are invaluable. As for cost, more than half the apps on the iPhone are free, and of those that cost, the vast majority are less than a pound (the majority are less than a single MP3 from iTunes)
Unless you go into the settings app to look at the phone information, it is imnpossible to tell a 3GS from a 3G, so being "cooler in the eyes of the cool kids" would be hard
I don't know anyone that is so pathetic to "laugh at someone for having an out of date phone", nor do I know anyone pathetic enough to actually care if they did! You seem to be pretty worried about it tho? My 2G iphone was out of date by 2yrs when I changed it, but never in that time was I ever "embarrassed" to take it out of my pocket in front of anyone for fear of being laughed at
Old 13-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

The ipad! lol
Firstly, I like how you've taken the Jobs quote COMPLETELY out of context. What he said was "Netbooks are better at ANYTHING...compared to laptops"

We've seen all this when the iPhone's came out originally. I guess you are one of the "I think I look cool if I demonstrate I hate Apple" crowed?

The iPad, IMO, is pretty pointless. But to be fair to it, virtually everything on that check-list doesn't apply to it It was never meant to have a physical keyboard, USB slots or LAN port - why in the fuck would you want them on that? You might aswel buy a netbook!

But for people that DON'T WANT A NETBOOK or laptop; the people that don't want a "computer" sat on their knee when they are simply just browsing the web, or reading a few emails, or just playing a game for relaxation, or watching a few video clips, it's perfect. For that, you don't need an OS, you don't need a huge hard drive (which, I notice the capacity listed in the check-list to also be inaccurate), you don't need USB or LAN ports (and technically it does have USB seeing as it has a dock connector to connect to your mac or PC), and you don't need a physical keyboard.

It's not for me, I just don't need one. But for what it does, which is what it was designed for, it does it better than anything out there. Only a complete moron would actually try and compare it to a netbook or laptop, seeing as the iPad and netbook are two completely different things! It's comparing bread and milk

Last edited by Thrush; 13-02-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 13-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

And just to add, before I get labled with the "apple fanboi" label; the only two things I own that are apple is my long serving iPod, and my iPhone. My three (desktop, media centre and laptop) computers are all Windows. so I'm hardly an Apple fanboi.
Old 13-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So you should pay double the money for something that does pretty much absolutely nothing that you would want from a laptop sized computer.

So if its not meant to have any of those things its basically an a4 sized ipod touch. Which I fail to see any point in at all.
Old 13-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

You don't have to pay anything for it. But if you want one, then unless you steal it, you will have to pay for it yes.

As for doing nothing that you would want from a laptop sized computer - what do you want to do with a laptop sized computer? I'm sat on the sofa on my laptop now, and I wouldn't be using an iPad to surf and post on these forums. But then, thats probably not what I'd want an iPad for! It boils down to what you want from it. The iPad OS (much like the iPhone OS in many ways) is about simplicity. It makes looking at photo's, video's, music, web pages, emails, books, games, and other things to waste your time on, easy. It's not meant to be a "computer"! Much in the same way a digital photoframe is not meant to be a TV!
Old 13-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats just it though. Aside from people being to ponce around flashing off their big white tablet of pointlessness to build up geeks points with all the other apple fanbois. What is the point of it? Like you said, you are sat on your laptop now, where you can look at photo's, video's, music, web pages, emails, books, games with great ease can you not?. You also have the ability to write emails and text documents, have acces to any peice of software in the world and do everything else that a hulking great pc can do but with the comfort of your own sofa. You can even change your OS from windows to Linux depending on what you like. Also the term easy to use is a weak point as the generation that are using things like the ipod touch have been raised around pc's and navigating your way through an operating system is second nature to the masses. Simplifying it is just insulting.
Old 13-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Much in the same way a digital photoframe is not meant to be a TV!
But you wouldnt pay £1200 for a digital photoframe when you could get a 50" tv for £600.
Thats what im trying to get at. It is, pointless.
Old 13-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

No it's not. You just don't get it

Apple are not trying to "reinvent" the netbook. They simply sat down, and looked at their range. They have high end and high power corporate and business computers in the Mac Pro's. They have Home User computers in the iMac's. They have the "occasional" user computers in the MacMini. And they have the MacBook Pro and MacBook range for portable computers. What they don't have is a netbook. And for precisely that reason they didn't create a netbook - they just don't need one!

They looked at netbooks and thought "people mainly use these for looking at photo's, video's playing music and lightly browsing the net - so why bother with having a "full" laptop computer with keyboard, folding screen, etc etc to do something that could be done in a much nicer and more compact way, that doesn't need a full operating system like XP/Vista/7 or OS X. What we need is something like an iPod/iPhone, but bigger"

Which is what they've created! It's not meant to be a netbook. It's not meant to be a laptop. Creating something that would impact sales of MacBooks would be ludicrous!

As for your other points, I've been raised navigating my way though computer OS's etc, yet the iPhone/iPod OS, which is completely different, is yet entirely intuative, and wasy to use. So I fail to see the problem!

Stop trying to compare an iPad to a computer - they are two entirely different things! You wouldn't compare a Skyline to a Smart Car - two different things, albeit on a similar basis...
Old 13-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

But you wouldnt pay £1200 for a digital photoframe when you could get a 50" tv for £600.
Thats what im trying to get at. It is, pointless.
If anyone ever paid £1200 for a photoframe they need shooting. But what if you didn't want a 50" TV? Or, and I know this is a ludicrous idea, but what if you wanted a photoframe, and not a TV?
Old 13-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Exactly. They have all of that and everything else is covered by other manafacturers. so its is pointless! lol

Its like a said. Its an a4 sized iphone that can make phone calls. So they have taken something, restricted it by taking away a key function, then made it bigger and more cumbersome.!!!

A skyline and a smart car both work though. only one gets you from A to B alot faster. But if it was made by apple, the smart car would be more expensive!
Old 13-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I also don't understand this obsession you have with people "flashing off their xxxx to geeks to look big" - I don't know anyone that does this, but I guess you encouter it a lot, or are worried about looking inferior? If so the problem is not in what you own/have, it's in who you choose to surround yourself with and how you perceive whats important.

My laptop is old. It has a 1.6Ghz processor, and isn't widescreen. But do you think I give a fuck if anything thinks it's shit? No of course I don't. Same as my car is a shonky 1998 Ford Escort 5 door with cracked bumbers, steel wheels, and no reverse lights. Do you think I worry if people with nicer cars think mines shit? Of course I don't! Why in the hell would I?

I don't have a desire to have all the latest clothing brands or the "new" Nike Airs or anything - it means nothing to me!
Old 13-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
If anyone ever paid £1200 for a photoframe they need shooting. But what if you didn't want a 50" TV? Or, and I know this is a ludicrous idea, but what if you wanted a photoframe, and not a TV?
Thats what I mean, Its like catering for a market of such tiny proportions. People that so desperatly want to be different that they will sit infront of a £1200 photoframe watching the cycle of pictures instead of enjoying the joys of a 50" plasma for half the price.

You have summed up the ipad in that metaphor. It is a ludacrous idea, why have a digital photoframe when you can have a 50" plasma for half the price.
Old 13-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Exactly. They have all of that and everything else is covered by other manafacturers. so its is pointless! lol

Its like a said. Its an a4 sized iphone that can make phone calls. So they have taken something, restricted it by taking away a key function, then made it bigger and more cumbersome.!!!

A skyline and a smart car both work though. only one gets you from A to B alot faster. But if it was made by apple, the smart car would be more expensive!
In your opinion it's pointless! It's pointless to you as it doesn't do what you want it to. In the same way a Skyline is pointless to Mr Smith as all he wants to do is drive from home to work through the London traffic at an average speed of 5mph. Why have a £50k car capable of 200mph when you can only do 5mph in traffic? He doesn't need or WANT it, therefore to him, the Skyline is pointless.

Now you're trying to compare an iPad to an iPhone - again, TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! You can't compare an iPad to ANYTHING cos there isn't anything to compare it to! It's not an iPhone, it's not an iPod, it's not a netbook, or a laptop, or a desktop computer, or a tablet computer, or a photoframe, or a TV, a car, a microwave or anything else!

I have no use for an iPad, but I can see that people might. So it's not pointless in FACT, but it can be pointless in OPINION

As for everything else being covered by other manufacturers - what? Apple are a business! They don't sit there and think "oh, Dell make one of these, so we don't need to!" Sony make mp3 players, as do Creative, and as do Apple. Just cos someone else makes something, doesn't mean you can't. What an astonishing comment to make!

Quick Reply: I Phone Help