General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Heated front screen switch and relay 1990 Saff

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Heated front screen switch and relay 1990 Saff

looking for the switch and relay.. Do ford still make these or have i gotta trundle through here and ebay?

If anyone has purchased one of late where did u get it and how much did you pay?

Cheers, Smit.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

irrc the relay is a boggo std part, the front screen timer is seperate, so should have no probs with the relay, sw I can't help with though.
tabetha
Old 07-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Smit
looking for the switch and relay.. Do ford still make these or have i gotta trundle through here and ebay?

If anyone has purchased one of late where did u get it and how much did you pay?

Cheers, Smit.
I have two Sierra that I'm breaking right now that are equiped with heated front screens so let me know what you need exactly ...

Originally Posted by tabetha
irrc the relay is a boggo std part, the front screen timer is seperate, so should have no probs with the relay, sw I can't help with though.
tabetha
The relay is a similar size to a 40a relay but I'm sure its a monster uprated higher ampage version.

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 07-02-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You can still get switches mark but one of the timers is obsolete now.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:39 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Easy to make a timer, adjustable one that is for around £5 if needed.
tabetha
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin-Reyland
I have two Sierra that I'm breaking right now that are equiped with heated front screens so let me know what you need exactly ...
Cheers Mr H - I've sent you a message
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to sidetrack your post Smit ( if nothing else it bumps it though! ) but how is the wiring set-up on the modern Fords with heated front screens? Can any of those wiring relays be adapted so you can use a modern relay and timer and use the OE Sierra switch? Apologies if this is nonsense and it's all CANBUS integrated or similar. The other thing I thought of is that they sell heated windscreens for lots of differen tcars for rallying use - do the people that sell those have any wiring suggestions for the hard to find parts?

Trending Topics

Old 08-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by Mike1
Sorry to sidetrack your post Smit ( if nothing else it bumps it though! ) but how is the wiring set-up on the modern Fords with heated front screens? Can any of those wiring relays be adapted so you can use a modern relay and timer and use the OE Sierra switch? Apologies if this is nonsense and it's all CANBUS integrated or similar. The other thing I thought of is that they sell heated windscreens for lots of differen tcars for rallying use - do the people that sell those have any wiring suggestions for the hard to find parts?

You could use the Sierra loom on just about anything that has a heated screen, I used the Sapphire loom on a 909 3dr screen and it all worked fine.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin-Reyland
You could use the Sierra loom on just about anything that has a heated screen, I used the Sapphire loom on a 909 3dr screen and it all worked fine.
Ah, what I sort of meant Martin was would the relay/timer off a more modern Ford ( such as a Mondeo/Focus ) with a heated screen work in conjunction with the Sierra switch if the original Sierra relay/timer were proving hard to find?
Presumably the more modern relay/timer would still be available at Ford? Or do they operate differently?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Ah, what I sort of meant Martin was would the relay/timer off a more modern Ford ( such as a Mondeo/Focus ) with a heated screen work in conjunction with the Sierra switch if the original Sierra relay/timer were proving hard to find?
Presumably the more modern relay/timer would still be available at Ford? Or do they operate differently?
Who knows but the Sierra one's aren't hard to find secondhand though.

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 08-02-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

More modern ones will work fine, so long as the switch used with them is the same (momentary) type as the cossie, ie once turne don you can't turn off by pressing again, as it has entered the time cycle, but will drop out once powered off by ignition.
Very easy to make your own loom up for any heated screen as well, with adjustable timer, or straight on off whatever you want.
tabetha
Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 PM
LINCOLN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tabetha. What is the point of timer - can you explain please. Should the screen not be powered all the time? What about the passenger and driver circuits?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:11 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The point of the timer, is no doubt economy/emissions led, the front screen in particular uses a hefty amount of current, the timer is set such that by the time it goes off the screen will be totally clear, saves burning extra fuel for those that forget(me!!).
I noticed the timers today for £9.60, 10 minute timers, very easy to hook up with a momentary switch, ie non latching only closed contacts whilst pressed, this will start the 10 min cycle, then go off automatically, but as indicated easy to make adjustable timer from 1 sec to 1 week if you want.
tabetha