General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Aero Catches - hard to close?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:14 PM
S1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aero Catches - hard to close?

Ever since I fitted my Aero catches on the bonnet one was always a bitch to clsoe but I put it down to the pin being slightly out of line. Today I took them off to fit another bonnet and found even with it not fitted it still was a bitch to close. One is sort of ok but the other one needs a proper wallop to close. I looked at the mechanism and found if you pull the pin forward it works ok, it looks like its going over-centre so jams up. They've had hardly any use so its not wear and tear. Any one else having problems?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

A friend of mine has them, took a while to get them lined up and working properly as there's not much margin for error!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S1
Ever since I fitted my Aero catches on the bonnet one was always a bitch to clsoe but I put it down to the pin being slightly out of line. Today I took them off to fit another bonnet and found even with it not fitted it still was a bitch to close. One is sort of ok but the other one needs a proper wallop to close. I looked at the mechanism and found if you pull the pin forward it works ok, it looks like its going over-centre so jams up. They've had hardly any use so its not wear and tear. Any one else having problems?

Wd40

I have them i my bumnper, I took he bumper off to do some work n left it out itn the rain with the catchs open

The went soild, quick squirt of wd n they are like new again
Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 PM
e30cossie
E36 cosworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S1

I had a set like this and one was faulty like you described. I ended up getting another set.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Steve the Plumber
The original Rouge Trader

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive got them on my bonnet and front bumper, they need a drop of WD40 now and again.