General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How do I properly/legally reshell a car???

Search this Thread

Old 27-01-2010, 07:16 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Default How do I properly/legally reshell a car???

Have a couple of projects in mind, and both would involve reshelling a car.
My question is, how do i do this properly, if i want to change the ID.

-Option 1, cheap 60k mile mint base model saph locally has come up for sale, car is cat C but just with a damaged bumper, no damage to anywhere else at all. Can i strip this and use a cossie ID on this shell, Vin plate and chassis number????

-Option 2, project car, unregistered shell, how do i go about registering it and making sure it doesn't go on a Q (doesn't have any numbers stamped anywhere.)

Any help appreciated as it's not something I've done before, and if you can please excercise some restraint as I've seen threads similar to this on here before and they've just turned into a bitchfest.

Last edited by rog; 27-01-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 27-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

1, Just reshell the car and use the ID from the new shell
2, buy a shell with no number stamped in the floor and use the ID from the rotton car
3, Sell the rotton car and buy a good one , lol

Ps, you do dealise you are going to get loads of fools who will reply on here who havent got a clue what is legal etc telling you that whatever you do your ringing it , lol

Last edited by Mr RS500; 27-01-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 27-01-2010, 07:34 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for the help, i know I'll get lots of conflicting reports about what is legal etc,but i guess that's all part of the fun.
So how do i go about stamping the numbers on the floor etc???? And do i have to declare it to the DVLA/VOSA folk???
Old 27-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Afaik, option 1 would be ringing!

The only way to reshell ( a cossie i presume?) and retain the cossie ID would be to buy a new unregistered shell with no numbers on as Paul said
Old 27-01-2010, 07:36 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rog
Have a couple of projects in mind, and both would involve reshelling a car.
My question is, how do i do this properly, if i want to change the ID.

-Option 1, cheap 60k mile mint base model saph locally has come up for sale, car is cat C but just with a damaged bumper, no damage to anywhere else at all. Can i strip this and use a cossie ID on this shell, Vin plate and chassis number????

-Option 2, project car, unregistered shell, how do i go about registering it and making sure it doesn't go on a Q (doesn't have any numbers stamped anywhere.)

Any help appreciated as it's not something I've done before, and if you can please excercise some restraint as I've seen threads similar to this on here before and they've just turned into a bitchfest.
you cant do option 1

The best option would be to find a decent saph cosworth rolling shell and then swap the bits overs from the rotten saph cossie into the rolling shell

most will not want to buy a normal saph with cosworth running gear, as you'll get people saying "its not got the cosworth ID"

ps. there are hundreds of cossies out there with a sketchy history, people doing exactly what you are trying to do now

sadly some people think a cosworth shell with just a axle and wheels is still worth Ł1500, whereas a normal saph shell is worth Ł150
Old 27-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Daveysaff
Afaik, option 1 would be ringing!

The only way to reshell ( a cossie i presume?) and retain the cossie ID would be to buy a new unregistered shell with no numbers on as Paul said

How is 1 ringing you are using the id that the car has had from new ( ie, buy a good second hand cossie shell with ID and swap everything over and use the ID from the new donour shell )

And i never said , NEW , unstamped shell

Last edited by Mr RS500; 27-01-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 27-01-2010, 07:44 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok think I understand now....
So in short I can't put an ID on an already registered shell that has an ID. I wouldn't want to lose the "cosworth" derivative oon the V5, so i guess the base model shell is out the window. But it's perfectly ok to use the ID on any cosworth shell as long as it doesn't already have a number???
Old 27-01-2010, 07:45 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok just read the reply after I submitted my post, this is where i get confused...
Old 27-01-2010, 07:57 AM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

rs turbo i had got reshelled into a base model all i did was weld the chassie number in change the vin tags over
Old 27-01-2010, 08:02 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty sure that if you chop out the id from one car and weld it into another it is ringing.
Old 27-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by dingla rs
rs turbo i had got reshelled into a base model all i did was weld the chassie number in change the vin tags over

You will have the PF anti ringing gang hunting you down now
Old 27-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by matts1
Pretty sure that if you chop out the id from one car and weld it into another it is ringing.
It is

but you would be totaly shocked how many cars i have broke that have had this done

Not by me i must add , i bought them like this
Old 27-01-2010, 08:05 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dingla rs

To be honnest with you I wouldn't have a problem with doing that as long as it was 100% correct, but there seems to be some deliberation over what is/is not allowed. But i can see why there may be rules against it.
Old 27-01-2010, 08:45 AM
t4 and greys
cosworth gimp

if you need to ask mate i wouldnt bother doing anything mate unless you want a spell inside!!!
Old 27-01-2010, 08:52 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

with full replacement blank floorpans now available aftermarket for the sierra and with prices rising I would imagine quite a few base models will start having "rotten floors" and ending up as cossies.
Old 27-01-2010, 09:06 AM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its only ringing when "stolen" is involved
Old 27-01-2010, 09:15 AM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 428 Likes on 403 Posts

i would take a full pictorial of what your goin to do ,and make fully aware to future buyers the history of the cars identity.

cheers james
Old 27-01-2010, 09:22 AM
white2lsr
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I would ring VOSA and DVLA to get a clear answer on this. Pointless asking on here when people are obviously up to naughty things
Old 27-01-2010, 09:28 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

The only true 100% legal way following the letter of the law is to use a brand new shell supplied direct from the manufacturer or their agent with a proper receipt to prove.

Once built it then needs to be inspected by DVLA and stamped by them, or in front of them usually by the police.

Everything other than that becomes greyer and greyer legally depending on which route you take.

You can ring the dvla one day and ask them a specific question, then ring the next day, ask exactly the same question and you will get a different version of the answer.

Do dealers do the above when reshelling a car - no, they usually leave it blank.

Are the police interested in what happens with just one car, generally no.
Old 27-01-2010, 09:38 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

just use the shell from the donor car and fit the cossie runnign gear to it

all you do then is tell the insurance compnay and the dvla that it's got a different engine in it and job jobbed

as long as you keep the reg number of the donor car and the numbers are the same, it's been modified from an insurance comnay point of view so that might cause some greif but it'll still be legit on the dvla database and the log book will still say "not a cossie but a base model" on it
Old 27-01-2010, 09:55 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for the responses!
There's a VOSA place 1/4mile from my house, so i'll pop in and ask there.
Dojj, the whole point in me asking is so I DON'T have to use the LX's ID.
Old 27-01-2010, 10:31 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

ou "could" go and tell vosa that you have a car that has a rust problem and that, due to there being a scarcity of newly available shells, would you be able to use the shell from another car and have the chassis numbers etc changed on the paperwork to show that the original car has been reshelled at some point BUT keep the original id and plates etc from the cossie, with a new set of vin plates being sent out to replace the original ones

at least you are asking the right peole the right questions
Old 27-01-2010, 11:05 AM
H7 CYA
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont really see the problem with transfering vin numbers etc, as long as your honest if/when you sell then whats the problem.
If people want a genuine one they will stay away others might not mind, i mean its not like the car is stolen or anything.
Perhaps be prepared (if your being honest) to sell the car for a little less than you would do if it was genuine.
Old 27-01-2010, 11:53 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
How is 1 ringing you are using the id that the car has had from new ( ie, buy a good second hand cossie shell with ID and swap everything over and use the ID from the new donour shell )

And i never said , NEW , unstamped shell
paul the guy was replying to the first post about option 1 not yours which is correct.
option 1 in the original post is technically ringing but "ringing" is allways associated with one of the cars being stolen.. suppose that is from back in the day when every other xr2/3 was ringed lol

I had to re ring an xr2 for a m8 once, the fooker had 3 chassis numbers on it when he bought it!

steve
Old 27-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Its classed as ringing if you use a shell thats got or previously had a set of numbers in it.

Using a new shell, with an old ID, is legal.
Using an old shell with a different ID, is illegal.
Old 27-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by H7 CYA
I dont really see the problem with transfering vin numbers etc, as long as your honest if/when you sell then whats the problem.
If people want a genuine one they will stay away others might not mind, i mean its not like the car is stolen or anything.
Perhaps be prepared (if your being honest) to sell the car for a little less than you would do if it was genuine.
The problem, is that if you get caught, they will treat it as stolen and have it off you, loads of hassle to get it back then.
Old 27-01-2010, 12:07 PM
H7 CYA
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
The problem, is that if you get caught, they will treat it as stolen and have it off you, loads of hassle to get it back then.

Fair point i didn't think of it that way, although from an enthusiasts point of view i don't think it a problem, but as you say. Its the law
Old 27-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Its classed as ringing if you use a shell thats got or previously had a set of numbers in it.

Its not ringing if you leave the origonal numbers in the shell you intend to use tho and just put all your running gear etc into it ,

Only dodgy if you swap the numbers from your rotten / damaged shell into the used other shell

We all say this and that tho but i would bet that there is a massive amount of people on here that have either reshelled a car or bought one knowing it has been shelled and i bet they didnt give a fook

As said above we can all talk shit about it but its only ringing if one or more of the cars is stolen

The police dont give a shit about 20 odd year old fords there only intrested in new cars having there ID swaped about
Old 27-01-2010, 12:24 PM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

Using a new shell, with an old ID, is legal.
Using an old shell with a different ID, is illegal.
had quick look but couldn't see on dvla site etc for info on what is classed as ringing

Ringing (signal), unwanted oscillation of a signal, leading to ringing artifacts.
Ringing (medicine), a ringing sound in the ears;
Bird ringing, using numbered small metal leg rings to track birds;
Ringing (telephony), the sound of a telephone bell.
Old 27-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
Its not ringing if you leave the origonal numbers in the shell you intend to use tho and just put all your running gear etc into it ,
Indeed, just a perfectly legal replica then, like my 3 door
Old 27-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by andrewg
had quick look but couldn't see on dvla site etc for info on what is classed as ringing

Ringing (signal), unwanted oscillation of a signal, leading to ringing artifacts.
Ringing (medicine), a ringing sound in the ears;
Bird ringing, using numbered small metal leg rings to track birds;
Ringing (telephony), the sound of a telephone bell.
The DVLA dont use slang on their website I would imagine.
Old 27-01-2010, 12:29 PM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

The DVLA dont use slang on their website I would imagine.
so how can you use ringing with legal and illegal? if the term is not legal?
Old 27-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Chip

so how can you use ringing with legal and illegal? if the term is not legal?
In the same way I would says its illegal to nick things off someone, or to kick the shit out of them, but its not the term that a court would use in either case, it would be theft and assualt.

Its illegal to misrepresent the identity of a motorvehicle, and the slang term for doing so is ringing.

Cant see what you find so confusing about it TBH
Old 27-01-2010, 12:37 PM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

In the same way I would says its illegal to nick things off someone, or to kick the shit out of them, but its not the term that a court would use in either case, it would be theft and assualt.

Its illegal to misrepresent the identity of a motorvehicle, and the slang term for doing so is ringing.

Cant see what you find so confusing about it TBH

so that would be the charge?

and what would be classed as motor vehicle, the shell or engine or both or the other parts?
it if you changed the gear box would that misrepresent it?
Old 27-01-2010, 12:44 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as far as i know if you buy a base model sierra and take the id out and replace with cossie id its classed as ringing wether its stolen or not, as you basically have altered the veichles original id as it isnt that car the id came from

to do it properly is buy a decent 2nd cossie shell and put your stuff in it and use the new shells id

or

buy a brand new shell with reciept from manufacturer and transfer all your stuff from old shell, then it would go to vosa who will inspect the car and stamp numbers in the strut top and as long as you use a certain percentage of the old car you will get to keep your origanl id
Old 27-01-2010, 12:45 PM
MarkyMark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

and what would be classed as motor vehicle, the shell or engine or both or the other parts?
you got it right there, according to the sva which deals with such cars a certain percentage of the oringal car must remain, therefore it is legal to swap a shell over and use the rest of the orginal car and not classed as ringing
Old 27-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Chip

You can read a bit about it here if you like:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022107

It even mentions the word ringing, although is more in the context of stolen cars obviously as like mentioned in this thread this is the thing they are most bothered about.

If you change enough of the parts of a car, such as engine/gearbox/suspension away from the parts type approved for that car, you then get into an entirely different issue with the car no longer being type approved as a result.
Any vehicle altered in such a way after 1998 needed an SVA, although more recently this has become an IVA

So for example Charlie's focus would have needed an SVA/IVA to be legal as a road car, and so would my nova if I built one now.

You can read about the IVA here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10014246

Last edited by Chip; 27-01-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 27-01-2010, 12:48 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Ringing is taking id from one shell and using it on a shell which has previously had its own id and its not legal

( the caveat is of course local VOSA centres who sometimes do the weirdest things! )

How can a thread go on for so long about something so simple?
Old 27-01-2010, 12:50 PM
MarkyMark

from the directgov website

When applying for a VIC you'll be asked to declare whether your car’s chassis or monocoque body has been replaced or modified in any way. The information you provide will enable VOSA to decide whether your VIC application can proceed or whether to refer your car to a DVLA local office for inspection, where it'll be assessed in line with DVLA’s rebuild guidelines instead.
so re shelling is legal there...

Scoring components
The following values will be allocated to the major components used:
chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points
suspension = 2 points
axles = 2 points
transmission = 2 points
steering assembly = 2 points
engine = 1 point
Where there is evidence that two vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie 'cut and shut') a 'Q' mark will be allocated, IVA, ESVA, SVA or MSVA will be required.-
some more info there.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10014199
Old 27-01-2010, 01:01 PM
MarkyMark

Originally Posted by xr4x4rs
d new shell with reciept from manufacturer and transfer all your stuff from old shell, then it would go to vosa who will inspect the car and stamp numbers in the strut top and as long as you use a certain percentage of the old car you will get to keep your origanl id

vosa would not stamp numbers into cars, dvla will give you a vin in rare circumstances but they wont stamp it

Quick Reply: How do I properly/legally reshell a car???