General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

welders

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default welders

Hi all, getting a defender 90 soon, so, due to it being a landy, I want to learn to weld. Also my dads 110 needs some welding doing to it, so I thought It'd be cheaper to learn n get my own welder. Heard clarke are quite good, and to go for one that can use gas and gasless wire. So what sort of power would I need for chassis/bodywork welding and can anyone recommend a good mig welder for a decent price?
Thanks, Sam
Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 PM
TurboOsmond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...iy-mig-welders

this is the welder i use at home , its ideal for restoration and most types of welding you would do at home , welds up to 6mm mild steel witch covers welding chassis easly as well as being able to weld thin gauge steel

i wouldent use gasless wire tho , useing gas ( argoshield) gives a cleaner and stronger weld and reantal on a decent size cylinder from B.O.C. will only set you back a round £50-60 a year

iv had it nearly 6 years done 3 near compleat resorations and currently on my 4th with this welder and hasent missed a beat so long as you maintain it

and as for teaching you self to weld find your self pleanty of sheet metal, as youll need it and just keep practicing , be pacient and keep at it , it will come to you
start with puddel ( plug ) welds , then try doing a seam of weld , then lap welding to peaces together ( over laping ) and once you good at all thos try butt welding ( edge to edge ) , theres pleanty of infomation on the net about it mate to help you

as the saying goes " practice makes perfect !!!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info mate
Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 PM
2wdsaff
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody can weld mate, just take your time and practice, most importantly make sure the bits your weldign are as clean as possible, cleaner the better and also make sure that you have a very good earth as close to the area your welding and you'll get a much better weld, surf the net or local library for books, bit of reading up and you'll be away, let usknow how you get along