General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

a 2nd internet line

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Racey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a 2nd internet line

how easy is it to put a 2nd internet line into another room?

is it just worth getting the people to come in a put in a 2nd box or can i run something off the existing box??
Old 03-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are on broadband, its easier to get a router with a built in dsl modem and network switch and plug all yer pc's into that
Old 03-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

What ^ he said
Old 03-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aj - go buy your own answers instead of nicking mine
Old 03-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Chrissy_bwoy
Advanced PassionFord User

a 2nd line generally takes about 2 hrs to fit, depending on area u live and method of service from outside

if ur on broaband then id advise either networking the computers together or if u have the one and are moving it then get another extension put in the room which u r moving it into

rough prices

2nd line - £75 (BT)
an extension - £45 (BT)
networking solution £20+

Old 03-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

As above, easiest way is to network 2, 3 or 4 PC's using a router (with DSL modem) You have 2 choices as to what type - wired or wireless.

Wired means that all PC's/laptops connected to the net thru the router will need a length of (cat5) LAN cable (between each device and the router)

Here is a good wired router - cheap aswell! I bought one of these a little while ago, am fully installed now and have two PC's networked and it has not yet once let me down - in fact it is better than the ADSL modem I recieved with the broadband package, which cometimes had trouble connecting. Not once has this had trouble connecting to the net

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48449

If you fancy going wire less, the principal is still basically the same. You get a 4 port router, but you connect each device up using wireless transmitter/receivers.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=82066

(yuo can more than likely get WAN routers and stuff cheaper than that, but that was one that was reccomended to me)

Never having used one I can't really say much about it. I know some people with WAN set up's and most of the time they are fine, but I have been told occasionally the net connection will just go down (usually interferrance with the transmitter/reciever on a device) but on the whole most are sound...

Hope this helps