General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

foreign jobs in the construction industry....

Search this Thread

Old 27-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Pudnpepsi
Fix or repair daily....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i learned from my dad, who was a time served toolmaker, who then diversified (sp) into building. He was ( i lost him in feb) a total perfectionist, in everything he done! he NEVER advertised , as all his work was word of mouth. he was a carpenter / joiner, plumber, electrictian, and as said in one of the posts before, it was done right, or not done by him.

what im getting at is that because i have no paperwork to back up my skills, im penalised!

Lee, he thought the FMB was wank too, he was with them and felt the same way!
Old 27-12-2009, 12:17 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

if you have the hands on experience cscs cards can be issued after an assessor visits you at your workplace and rates your work. bit of an embarrasment but it gets you a bit of paper and a card.
most places dont ask for anything as they can tell as soon as you take your tools out whether your upto a job or not and will quickly tell you to fook off.
Old 27-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Pudnpepsi
Fix or repair daily....

Originally Posted by fuzzy
if you have the hands on experience cscs cards can be issued after an assessor visits you at your workplace and rates your work. bit of an embarrasment but it gets you a bit of paper and a card.
most places dont ask for anything as they can tell as soon as you take your tools out whether your upto a job or not and will quickly tell you to fook off.

I have no experience of site work, as all my work has been residential up to now!

cheers for the heads up!
Old 27-12-2009, 02:06 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

the federation of master craftsmen means fuck all as well. they see your card or van somewhere and they phone you or visit trying to sell their logo for you to use as you wish with no check or guarantees done or given. its only about the money.
Old 27-12-2009, 02:22 PM
.Ross.
Advanced PassionFord User

Canada ... But you will need a Job thats in a NOC Short list. Then you Might need IP Red-Seal to gain recognision.

Joiner? So that like Kitchen/Bathroom Fitting? Second fit? House building etc???
Old 27-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
What about adding this to your letterhead
"The taste of low quality lingers long after the satisfaction of low price. ..."

and backing it up with a book of testimonials from satisfied customers, ideally including those who got you in to rectify someone else's shoddy work.

I'd even ask satisfied customers if they would be willing to be contacted by your potential customers as references for their unbiased opinion. That is GREAT advertising and worth paying for. Two disadvantages to any offer of reward though:
A) If they are being paid to recommend you they aren't unbiased any more and the potential client could see that as a real adverse thing.
B) How would you know who your prospective client spoke to and got the recommendation that won the job?
At least 4 references always get sent out with each quote mate
Old 27-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Blown Hell
Chill out Lee there not all cunts, I've worked on site for 25+ years and am currently a supervisor for medium size carpentry contractor, we only work for major contractors Barret, Taylor Wimpey ect..
In my opinion the problem lies with the them, in the last year they have continualy imposed price reductions all the tradesmen on siteand they have had several pay cuts, all these tradesmen are not represented by any union or govourning organisation at all they/we are practicaly invisible and exploited to the max.
I personaly know several tradesmen who are well passed retirment but have to carry on out of nessesaty,
The major contractors do not provide training in quality or offer ANY incentives regarding quality, good practise ect.. they are only interested in one thing COST ŁŁŁ they are the real cunts.
Result - not an ideal working inviroment and standards/quality drops.
Of course all they are interested in is cost! They are a business! It doesnt mean tradesmen(if i should call them that not sure) have to do a bad job!

I know not everyone is like it, but ill say what i think, and i reckon 85% of house bashers are shit at their job! And coudlnt do it to a good std on day rate nevermind price!
Old 27-12-2009, 09:13 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by .Ross.
Canada ... But you will need a Job thats in a NOC Short list. Then you Might need IP Red-Seal to gain recognision.

Joiner? So that like Kitchen/Bathroom Fitting? Second fit? House building etc???
joiner has so many different fields but a proper time served decent joiner should be able to turn his hand to any of them. he might not be as quick as those doing that specific job all day every day but he'll soon get upto speed.i served my time as a bench hand making all sorts of stuff. i think thats the best place to start but moving around gives you a wider knowledge as most firms will concentrate on a particular aspect of the trade.
weve had it good for the last few years with Ł1000-Ł1200 wages for a 5 day week not uncommon on the tools doing pricework. greed takes over and suddenly all that matters is making more regardless of corners cut.

Last edited by fuzzy; 27-12-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 27-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Fuzzy, really none of my business but just curious being a dad myself, moving away, what about the kids mate ?
Old 27-12-2009, 09:26 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Fuzzy, really none of my business but just curious being a dad myself, moving away, what about the kids mate ?
thats the hard part.itll break my heart to walk away in a couple of days but i wont be losing touch with them. im not going far .theyre young at 6 and 3 and i would have prefered to go through the motions for another couple of years until they get older but its not happening. shes a bitter twisted woman who will spite herself and her kids to feel she's got one over on me and she'll do all she can to turn the kids against me.
but theyre both a daddies girl and boy. ive been telling them for a while no matter what happens and what anyone says daddy loves them both.
my worst fear is someone else coming in and playing dad and him being some sort of wierdo who'll harm them physically or mentally. you hear of some right freaks going about.
i have eyes and ears sorted should anything untowards happen to either of the 2 and im a dodgy sort myself to sort it out should anything happen.

Last edited by fuzzy; 27-12-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 27-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

I remember you posting that you couldnt live with her anymore and was splitting. It is a shame for the kids but you cant stay together just for them! imo. I just think imo again, that she has even more amo to turn them against you byt you moving away mate Twisted cow n all that!
Old 27-12-2009, 09:43 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

i expect things to get very bitter but i wont play that game as shell be wanting me to revert back to old ways so she can use it against me.
i expect to have to take her to court to get access but theres no way it wont be granted as theres nothing proven against me that she could use an excuse.