General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PF builders - rough prices in here ! Roofers especially

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:35 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts
Default PF builders - rough prices in here ! Roofers especially

Ive had a couple of quotes that vary massively in price, I will not show any of the quotes yet, but the roof seams to be the bit that is showing the most variance,

So off the top of your heads,

the building is 12.5m long x 9m wide.
the quotes I have here are for trusses roof's (even though I asked for traditional as i want the roof space)

So go for it as trussed to compare the prices, modern marley tiles and felt, gutters and fascias.

regards
mark
Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Now someone on here did a nice roof, there was a thread about it.......I cant remember for the life of me who it was.............Dingy? No.....Dingle, maybe........

Cant remember the name........
Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

chips mates will knock you one up for a tenner and 4cans of stella
Old 12-12-2009, 11:15 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

please lads this is a sensible enquiry, i know its a car site but there are proffessionals in other trades also on here.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kosman
chips mates will knock you one up for a tenner and 4cans of stella
Put give him the empty cans back as he needs them for the main support.

P.S You'd be wise to search for the thread, as lots of expert builders gave their opinon, meaning you can PM them from there.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 12-12-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 13-12-2009, 09:57 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Unless you prepared a detailed specification of works and drawings to support it this will always be the case as each will interpret the extent of their element of the job differently, ie some will include scaffold, some will assume you supply it free issue etc etc

What tend to happen is people go for the lowest quote and then find the winning bidder starts claiming their price did not include this, that and the other.

Just with trusses alone you can use the standard w truss which is cheapest or you can go for the room in roof truss which is treble the price but gives a open clear space in the roof.

Having said all of the above, I have bid managed multi million pound projects with everything detailed, gone to 5 of the biggest contractors in the UK and the price will still vary by upto 40% plus, at the end of the day a quote is just a best guestimate.

One suggestion is buy in the big materials yourself and get them to bid on labour supply only, this tends to tighten up the prices
Old 13-12-2009, 10:13 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Ł25000. its a vague price but then so are your details. just the roof or the whole building?

Last edited by fuzzy; 13-12-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 13-12-2009, 10:17 AM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

markk get my mate peter! the lad with the white 205 dimma years ago he,ll sort it for rite money give him a ring pm me if you wont his no
Old 13-12-2009, 10:35 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Standard W truss over 9mtrs gives quite a lot of storage for lightweight materials without too much inconvenience.
My house has 9mtr trusses.

If you have mentioned storage, some of the quotes may be allowing for extra strength in the trusses to take the weight.

Old 13-12-2009, 11:20 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by focusv8
Standard W truss over 9mtrs gives quite a lot of storage for lightweight materials without too much inconvenience.
My house has 9mtr trusses.

If you have mentioned storage, some of the quotes may be allowing for extra strength in the trusses to take the weight.

agreed, fine for a house with intermediate support walls underneath if all you want to store is the christmas tree and suitcases, but for a 9m clear span in a workshop with no central support I would not even want to store that up there.

I have 9m span room in roof trusses with no support other than the outer walls and these were on average Ł120 each supply only (these give a 4.5m clear span in the roof and are 225mm thick) where as the same span w truss was around Ł40 each and only around 100mm thick

Last edited by PAUL S; 13-12-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 13-12-2009, 12:25 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

I would have thought from them details that someone would provide a quote similar to the next, the quotes are pretty much the same with regards to skips, storage, cleaning etc etc paper wise they match.

Ive pretty much decided to do it myself now as it seams i run the risk of being ripped off.

and this is just for the roof, not the building.

regards
Old 13-12-2009, 12:36 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

if your capable build the roof yourself in the traditional joist way. its not hard if you think about what your doing first. hire a scaffold, its not much .
Old 13-12-2009, 12:45 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Mark

I was in the same boat, started off I was just going to oversee the build, and ended up virtually doing it all myself.

All the roofers I went to demanded a fortune, and wanted it all craned up which was impossible due to our country lane location.

In the end me and a couple of mates hand balled it up and fitted it all ourselves - very satisfying as well.

The kit cost 4.5 k plus vat and came with all plans and fittings, that included an extra Ł400 for the pink preservative as it was going up over the winter and was going to remain exposed for a few months. It gives me 2 big bedrooms and a bathroom in the roof.. If I had gone standard w truss with no preservative it was under 2.5k plus vat as its a hipped roof so costs a bit more than a normal gable end roof.

arrived like this

ended up like this

Old 13-12-2009, 04:30 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

I remember see your pics, my bungalow is very similar in size from the pics as yours is, im just building my new workshop, not starting the house yet

from my research of all types of outbuilding companies, whether it be brick/steel/concrete, I had in order of preferance what i wanted but the brickies (or more the roofers ) have blown the brick built workshop out of the water at the moment, I do have a couple more quotes to come in yet, but it tends to be the roofer who comes in a more than double what i had expected.

the groundworks have to be done no matter what, just seams like steel is the winner all round to be honoust.
Old 13-12-2009, 04:42 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

if you go down the steel route, get yourself a copy of farmers weekly, some good barn companies advertise in it and you know how tight farmers are so they are well priced as a kit and just erect it yourself.
Old 13-12-2009, 04:48 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by fuzzy
if your capable build the roof yourself in the traditional joist way. its not hard if you think about what your doing first. hire a scaffold, its not much .
I am indeed, i built my last garage but my brickwork is not the fastest.

Originally Posted by PAUL S
if you go down the steel route, get yourself a copy of farmers weekly, some good barn companies advertise in it and you know how tight farmers are so they are well priced as a kit and just erect it yourself.
Good plan, cheers paul