General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Removing all data from an N96 with a broken screen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:01 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts
Default Removing all data from an N96 with a broken screen?

Hi all

To cut a long story short, stood on my fucking phone this morning and broke the screen

Its going off for repair soon as its insured, but I wanted to remove all settings/pictures/browsing history etc etc before it goes. Is there anyway I can do it through the computer as the screen doesn't work?

I also debranded it a few months ago, is it the same process to rebrand it just by putting in the phone's product code?

Cheers

Rich
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooooh, if only it was an N95, i'd have known just the man for it....

Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

You should be able to delete all date off it by using Nokia PC Suite (or even through windows explorer), plug the phone in via a USB cable and delete all data.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:28 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Cheers for that, I have only used pc suite for transferring pictures etc, will have a play tonight to see if I can reset the phone with it!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
kjc300
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You should be able to back the phone up with pc suite and then restore it all when you get it back. Then there is a hash key code for a hard reset to wipe it. As for rebranding - I've never done it but you change the product code back, and then do the nokia software update thing again and it should download and install the correct firmware for it.

I have had loads of problems with the update thing before though, bricked my n96 when I was doing an update once - just stalled and wouldn't do anything then wouldn't turn on. Managed to save it with a different program in the end.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:02 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by kjc300
You should be able to back the phone up with pc suite and then restore it all when you get it back. Then there is a hash key code for a hard reset to wipe it. As for rebranding - I've never done it but you change the product code back, and then do the nokia software update thing again and it should download and install the correct firmware for it.

I have had loads of problems with the update thing before though, bricked my n96 when I was doing an update once - just stalled and wouldn't do anything then wouldn't turn on. Managed to save it with a different program in the end.

Cheers kev, I am not too worried about loosing everything on there anyway really as there is nothing important, its just that I've got things like my ebay log in password etc saved on there so need to clear all internet history, which will get rid of it. Will have a go tonight and see how I get on!