General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Have you found that since buying your own house....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

na never had that problem i went & looked at a garage to buy & the house came with it . no seriously i love working on my car in the garage , i enjoy driving it even more the house is just a house ,if you are thinking whats the point of having £x on the drive then its time to sell & buy some thing else ,may be abigger garage lol
Old 10-12-2009, 07:17 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Its good that you are finally getting up to nursery level education, even if it is only by proxy
Originally Posted by Alan_D
You surely wouldn't spend that much money on a hose?
you cheeky coonts you

2 or 3 grand a month to spend on myself or save money to buy a house and marriage and kids and the future?

fairly simple choice when you have to spend a grand on the mortgage and £1300 on childcare bceause you don't get a lot left over to spend on the car

i think i'll teach junior and baby how to weld and strip sierra estates before too long
Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Nope, not at all for me, cars will always be a driving factor in my life I think, only thing that might change that is kids, but never for a house.

you can sleep in your car but you cant trackday your house

What a stupid way to run your life Chip although i expect you realise that.
You need a decent House/Area to bring your family up in.
The sports car i sold to purchase my 1st house was valued at 1k then, Gordon Murray recently sold the only other one ever imported into the UK for 17K so not a bad investment had i kept it. My house has gone from 6k to 450k+. All i did was upgrade my house 4 times in 8 years back then. Had loads of fast cars since so it was a small price to pay.
With my kids gone we are considering downscaling to a smaller detached place if i did I could put an Enzo on the drive not a Nova with the money left over.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 PM
teamfatboy
Frog Tosser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just lost interest in the house
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

I have to agree with Rod on this, we have worked and played hard in our early teens/twenties, cars/bikes/holidays etc etc now we are both in our 30's we progressed our investment in property, started with one about 8 years ago, then upgraded, since then have bought more, always had the rally car in the garage, not ness ready to be used, but when the spare cash was about we took it out for a play.

So the housing has not stopped me wanting to have nice cars, but i have no interest in road cars at all.

though three years ago i sold all my toys to fund a large business investment that is still pretty stable, plus I have most of my investments back

We have just upgraded to another property, one of the considerations was it has enough land to build a nice workshop on, so looks like no arallying again for next year, but the cars still there to be used when the time/money become available again, at the same time my investments are looking after themselves for my pension.

Last edited by markk; 10-12-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 PM
BIGMATT1
Regular Contributor

i absolutly fucking hate houses, cant justify spending money on my cars at the mo cause the house needs alot doing to it, dont know where to start, vicious circle really have to work loads of overtime to get money together to spend on the house but i have to work that hard for it i cant bare to spend it on something i hate. to me and alot of people my generation, houses are just money sponges- take up all your money and time and you dont really increase the value. I dont even get time to wash my cars these days with working overtime and having a young family. might have to sell the cars purely cause i dont have the time to keep on top of them any more but i wont be spending the money on the house, rather keep it in the bank. if i had some free money every month i would probably spend it on cars and doing stuff with the family but the house soaks up every last penny just living in it! lifes for living now spend it on what you enjoy, u never know whats round the next corner
Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MadRod
What a stupid way to run your life Chip although i expect you realise that.
You need a decent House/Area to bring your family up in
Got one thanks mate, bought it a few years ago when I sold my flat, 3 bedroom detached new build house in a pleasant part of town, also kick started my pension by paying 500 pounds a month into it for the first few years, and ive a reasonable portfolio of shares as well, just cause im into cars doesnt mean I dont plan for the future, but the house is not my hobby, cars are, but I do regulate the rate at which I spend to ensure my finanical security as if I dont I wont have money to play with cars when im an old fart like a good friend of mine

The sports car i sold to purchase my 1st house was valued at 1k then, Gordon Murray recently sold the only other one ever imported into the UK for 17K so not a bad investment had i kept it. My house has gone from 6k to 450k+. All i did was upgrade my house 4 times in 8 years back then. Had loads of fast cars since so it was a small price to pay.
With my kids gone we are considering downscaling to a smaller detached place if i did I could put an Enzo on the drive not a Nova with the money left over.
Enzo is about a million quid at the moment I believe mate, despite the fact that you could probably live in a dolls house at your height, I still think you would struggle to downsize far enough to afford to buy and run one of those

Last edited by Chip; 10-12-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

spent abt 35-40k in 10 years on my sierra,got 1 3rd of that back.

bought,developed and sold 2 flats and 1 house in 3 years.
made 110k.

i put money back into the house i have at the moment but at one point i had a cheque for 48k to do whatever i wanted with.
now if you're into cars that sounds good!