General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone in the know regarding superchargers/compressors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 AM
StephTell
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone in the know regarding superchargers/compressors?

Right then....

I used to have a VW G60 back in the day lol
Smaller pulley, chip, exhaust, bigger IC and that lot.
Used to go like the proverbial shit of a shovel and I loved the low down grunt of it!

Now I have a little car that would be a laugh if only it were just a little bit nippier...preferably with a compressor/blower of some sort bolted onto it...

The car in question is......

A new model Fiat Panda 4x4 climbing!!! PMSL!

It's a black full options car, one owner, very low miles and believe it or not: it is a right giggle to drive! Topgear pitted one against a Landy and it was as quick if not quicker in a quarry than the Landy!!!

It looks the part with the higher stance, different bumpers and wider wheels and it handles like a go-kart, unbelievable how hard you can chuck it around in town!

Now all it needs is a little more power, as low down in the revrange as possible...

So what sort of small superchargers/compressors/blowers are there? And wich is the one that whines???
Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most wine - its the gears in them and the air movement.

Nothing going to be easy to fit though!

Turbos on those engines are fairly common though.

Alex
Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The problem you will have is the compression ratio, trying to get stacks of midrange torque means lots of boost, and that means lowering the CR really.

Loads of power at the top end is easy on most N/A cars if you turbo them (look at all the yank civics etc even on standard internals) but getting it lower down isnt so easy, as you are at a point where the VE is naturally high anyway and the moment you starting piling in much boost you end up with no ignition timing.