General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Driveway security? What you all got?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Driveway security? What you all got?

There has been quite a few reported car thefts in my area recently (and imagine most others at the moment) where vvankers are breaking in and stealing keys etc then taking the car. Friend of mine had her house broken into saturday night, stole her hubby's porsche keys and nicked the motor, also took her house keys and the keys to her MG (fair enough, the thieves had taste so left it!!). Anyway its got me thinking, what sort of security do you have on your car if you leave it on the drive? My truck is too big to fit in the garage but have a disclock on the car and I have CCTV on the drive but was thinking perhaps some kind of security post? What are peoples opinions on these?

Chris
Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Ive got a cctv camera and a sucurity light that comes on even if you walk past the front of the drive.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cctv is next to useless if they are all dressed up mate. never leave ya keys where they can find them, thats a good start. secondly I have a big metal post that is concreted very deep in the ground but only stands about 2 inch high, with a hole through it.. I just have a decent motorbike lock an put it round the wishbone an through the hole in the post.. granted, there not gonna see it but then if they do get ya keys, atleast your gonna hear them try an drive off an stop rather sharpish.. it works but is a bit of a pain to put on if the ground is wet, with ya clean clothes
Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

This used to be my other bit of sercurity.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:59 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lol, my mate used to park his cossie and have his runabout blocking it in, problem was they shunted his car to get to it and still nicked it!

As you say the cameras are more of a deterent than to be of any use. Keys are always hidden anyway. I think a security post would be a good idea, just looked on a few sites and they do ones that drop straight into the ground (telescopic) rather than fold over. About Ł100 to buy. Would prefer an automatic one though as im lazy!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 AM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

15 stone dog works for me!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Jimmyc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
This used to be my other bit of sercurity.
Have you chained your cossie up to a lamp post too?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helped a mates Dad install some dropping posts this year, he'd had 3 cars nicked (X5 V8 & E46 M3 Cab included) and has had zero problems since even with a V8 Vantage and AMG Merc there most nights. The CCTV shows the odd little shit trying their luck on the locks but can't see anyone getting close there without a SHITLOAD of (filmed ) effort. And only took a weekend to put in...
Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cfoster
There has been quite a few reported car thefts in my area recently (and imagine most others at the moment) where vvankers are breaking in and stealing keys etc then taking the car. Friend of mine had her house broken into saturday night, stole her hubby's porsche keys and nicked the motor, also took her house keys and the keys to her MG (fair enough, the thieves had taste so left it!!). Anyway its got me thinking, what sort of security do you have on your car if you leave it on the drive? My truck is too big to fit in the garage but have a disclock on the car and I have CCTV on the drive but was thinking perhaps some kind of security post? What are peoples opinions on these?

Chris
where in essex are ya? i haven't heard of any where i am but know of it happening in other places.....

x
Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

I didn't bother buying a post.. just went to my local metal recyclers and asked for the most strongest metal post with a hole in it.. I found one with a hole both ends, so when i concreted it in i put a metal pole through the bottom hole, that way it ain't never pulling out, its like a T shape. why buy when ya can get somethin even better for 5 quid from the scrappy
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by **caz**
where in essex are ya? i haven't heard of any where i am but know of it happening in other places.....

x

I live in Wickford but my mate whos porsche went saturday is in South Woodham Ferrers. Lots of cars going missing, particularly in woodham. Billericay was also mentioned. Also my missus's dad's shed was broken into in Galleywood the other week where his Harley and R1 were, and his neighbours Zetec S was broken into and stereo was nicked - and that was parked on the main road through Galleywood!!

Chris
Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Roscco
Livin' [H]ard & Fast

Originally Posted by supramat2000
I didn't bother buying a post.. just went to my local metal recyclers and asked for the most strongest metal post with a hole in it.. I found one with a hole both ends, so when i concreted it in i put a metal pole through the bottom hole, that way it ain't never pulling out, its like a T shape. why buy when ya can get somethin even better for 5 quid from the scrappy
EDIT: Not giving out ideas on how to remove
Old 07-12-2009, 11:42 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Transit, ZX or M5 parked across the drive. Battery off and ECU in my wardrobe.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Shotgun and plenty of cartridges.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:56 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

...why buy when ya can get somethin even better for 5 quid from the scrappy
And the mystery piece of scrap from the scrappers is case hardened, through hardened, or just mild steel or iron? An angle grinder can still get through hardened steel, it just takes longer.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:08 PM
sabres74
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Hungry German Shepherds
Old 07-12-2009, 12:12 PM
stuboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

the wife
Old 07-12-2009, 12:19 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

2 other cars, a camera, a security light, and a beware of the dog sign
Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 PM
DangerousBryan
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

blocked in with an old transit and a disklock.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:06 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by TurboShed
And the mystery piece of scrap from the scrappers is case hardened, through hardened, or just mild steel or iron? An angle grinder can still get through hardened steel, it just takes longer.
No offence intended but i can assure you, you ain't gonna get through this piece of metal in a hurry that i have. I could hardly lift the bloody thing. an without seeming a little sarcy, who on earth is gonna crawl under my car and angle grind for 10 mins through a solid metal post in the middle of the night in a cul de sac. I think even thieves are not stupid
Old 07-12-2009, 01:06 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

nothing just lock the doors, i live in sheffield though so i guess im pretty safe when it comes to car crime
Old 07-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

not wishig to be awkward but i'm not about to post any details of my security measures on a public internet forum! i'm surprised so many people have done so to be honest!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by Markb_s1
not wishig to be awkward but i'm not about to post any details of my security measures on a public internet forum! i'm surprised so many people have done so to be honest!
well no one said post what ya have an how to remove it..
Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

but yeah, see ya point actually.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:38 PM
stuboy
PassionFord Post Troll

mines insured if they want it they will take it. (but not after 31st dec as gonna retax it) lol
Old 07-12-2009, 01:42 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt
Shotgun and plenty of cartridges.

best security mate lol

post aside do you do much game shooting ?

Mike
Old 07-12-2009, 01:49 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by stuboy
mines insured if they want it they will take it. (but not after 31st dec as gonna retax it) lol

I agree, If someone broke into my house to steal my keys, then I would rather they took them off the hook in the kitchen than pointing a knife in mine or my mrs's face in the middle of the night.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:50 PM
stuboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Rich170
I agree, If someone broke into my house to steal my keys, then I would rather they took them off the hook in the kitchen than pointing a knife in mine or my mrs's face in the middle of the night.
dam right
Old 07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Jimbo.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Wickford but my mate whos porsche went saturday is in South Woodham Ferrers. Lots of cars going missing, particularly in woodham. Billericay was also mentioned. Also my missus's dad's shed was broken into in Galleywood the other week where his Harley and R1 were, and his neighbours Zetec S was broken into and stereo was nicked - and that was parked on the main road through Galleywood!!

Chris
Yep I seem to be hearing more stories recently, I live in billericay and work in ramsdem heath, few top end motors like an Audi Q7 and a E90 M3 have reportedly been nicked in ramsdem.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Anyone answering this thread is crazy surely. Let them come & find out what protects mine, the chances if its a Cossie will be stolen by someone in the know about a particular car. That probably means someone on this Forum.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:06 PM
S1

Chris
I live in a quiet road in Burnham so not that far from you, we had a car broken into last week. It's the first time I remember a car getting broken into in my road.

BTW Chris, you weren't in a garden centre near Danbury at the weekend where you, there was a bloke looked a bit like you?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:07 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by Rich170
well i have to say, if someone is gonna point a knife at me or my kids they had better kill me cus by fuck i'm gonna cut em up if they don't.. i've never been frightened of weapons, as I learned a few years back, mostly the tw*ts that use knives don't have the courage to use them when the time comes. although I was always taught that if they become frightened they are more liable to use it, its a life or death thing that kicks in in all of us. but yes I do accept that normal people would sooner accept defeat and hand over the keys, which is fair enough.. If you don't have the training to fight back then don't..
Old 07-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

ive left the radio front on my wifes car on over nite a few times now. It has been lit it too and it hasnt been touched. I will have to remember to keep on taking it out.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by Jimmyc
Have you chained your cossie up to a lamp post too?
Well you have to look after them dont you lol.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:13 PM
cossiejay

Cctv is next to useless if they are all dressed up mate. never leave ya keys where they can find them, thats a good start. secondly I have a big metal post that is concreted very deep in the ground but only stands about 2 inch high, with a hole through it.. I just have a decent motorbike lock an put it round the wishbone an through the hole in the post.. granted, there not gonna see it but then if they do get ya keys, atleast your gonna hear them try an drive off an stop rather sharpish.. it works but is a bit of a pain to put on if the ground is wet, with ya clean clothes
they still managed to steal your car and trailer
Old 07-12-2009, 02:17 PM
cossiejay

we have cctv,security lights,6 inch 8 mm thick anti ram post and double locked 6 foot high drive gates,car has tracker,cat 1 alarm immobiliser,steering lock,and wheel clamp,its going no where fast,if they get it out and steal it they deserve it
Old 07-12-2009, 02:17 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

For those that are bemused why I ask the actual question was about security posts and whether people use them and if so do they see it as being worthwhile?

Jimbo - A friends Navara was taken from Ramsden Bellhouse a couple of months back, it was found though and totally wrecked (was an 06 plate), also a mates sister lives on the main road through bellhouse had some trouble, 6am, come downstairs to get some breakfast, 6foot bloke standing at the bottom of the stairs, he ran but turns out he was after their brand new X5. Not good.

S1 - I was indeed, the one by the roundabout / car garage on teh other side of the road. Was passing time by waiting for me dog to have his hair chopped!!!!

Chris
Old 07-12-2009, 02:21 PM
S1

S1 - I was indeed, the one by the roundabout / car garage on teh other side of the road. Was passing time by waiting for me dog to have his hair chopped!!!!

Chris
That's the one, Thought that was you but not spoken to you since we went to FITP in convoy about 5 years ago.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:23 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lol, you shouldve come and said hi!!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:24 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

machine mart sells lots of telescopic posts

i've got a few buried in the concrete outside my house, fairly simple and although not anti ram, with 4 foot of steel stuck in the ground and some of it sticking out, they ain't going to shift in a hurry

easiest and most cost effect way to visably secure your property

also comes in handy when you want to keep the neighbours out too

Quick Reply: Driveway security? What you all got?