General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Am I the only one thats skint and has so much worry on my mind!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:32 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one thats skint and has so much worry on my mind!!!

Bit of a long story so bare with me.. Since I left Breakdown Recovery 2 year ago to set my self up as a driver all i've had is rubbish work, no matter how hard I try I just cannot seem to get caught up with my bills. it just seems like i'm going to work for nothing. I work 70 hours a week self employed but unfortunately i'm litterally only bringing home 100 to 150 quid a week, tax credits are a great help, but it comes to the weekend an we just have to stay in. the kids are bored, I know the misses is sick of it, but she won't say nothing. yet every job i've managed to get over the last 6 month i've been done over by idiots. got a job with a local company (employed) worked there from august to mid november, only to be told there's no more work, so i started this job i'm doing now, promised the earth an its rubbish, barely any work. the real bad thing is. the job i did from august to mid november, its since transpired that they where taking my deductions out of my wages an putting it in there own pocket, so i'm now gonna owe a mint back to the tax credits as i can't declare what i earned there, as basically they weren't paying my tax. the council are on me back about council tax. the bank is overdrawn, the misses is running her car about on empty, my kids are bored of doing nothing, and christmas is nearly here and we have no money to buy things. I can't sell my car, as the engine is about had it. its just a nightmare that I can't see anyway out of. the good thing is that me an her don't have any credit cards or loans, cus when times where good we paid them all off unlike some people I know that just chose to get more credit.. Please tell me there is someone else in my situation, cus i've about had enough.
Sometimes I could just sit and cry, but I can't do that in front of the misses, its a man thing, i like to be the bread winner. She can't work as she has a weak heart, she rattles from all the pills she takes.. but that makes me feel worse cus she don't need all the stress, its no good for her.. an i've seen her try to hide the tears sometimes cus she's so bored. we just seem to manage to put food on the table and just about pay the bills, thats it. nothing more. we ain't been out for months an months now. its just work, kids, bills an nothing else..... someone tell me it will get better... please...

Last edited by 24vcossiemat; 06-12-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Swear words removed
Old 06-12-2009, 11:04 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Real sorry to read about this mate.

I do hope the new year is better for you and your family

Steve
Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
utternutter
BANNED
BANNED

father in law is about to loose is 220k house any minute now, his sons wer epaying mortage but they can no longer afford to, hes a self empoyed general builder maintannce etc
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Is it worth looking a totally different line of work? Sounds a bit odd but how about going down the job centre and seeing if there's anything there. Whatever you find will be more than 100 a week!

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 06-12-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

my sister has just had to hand the keys in on there 200 grand house, her husband got made redundant from a 50 grand job and he just can't get another. luckily they had the common sense to go an rent a house before doing so but i feel for some people that cannot do this. I don't know, this recession is my worst nightmare. it has to get better
Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
RST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not good mate As above try do some thing else.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:13 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Is it worth looking a totally different line of work? Sounds a bit odd but how about going down the job centre and seeing if there's anything there. Whatever you gindcwill be more than 100 a week!
i agree mate, the problem is at the moment every job there is in there, there is about 3 or 400 people applying, i'm not even getting interviews for jobs i could normally walk in to.. maybe i'm just whining, i don't know. i'm sure theres people worse off
Old 06-12-2009, 11:14 AM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

feel for ya dude,thats why im so glad i havent got kids mortgage etc,my mums always telling me to do something about buying a house etc,but i like to sleep at night,im earning next to fuckall at the minute(in my eyes anyway),but only me to look after,as long as i have beer and internet im happy,hope you figure it out,have you had a word with the supermarkets? they normally have a lot of van and lorry work round xmas and norally guarnteed payers.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

the good thing is, there is plenty of temp work around at the moment with the run up to Xmas.

I know Asda were taking on locally to me and that will certainly pay you more than Ł150 a week!!!!

seriously, i would stop what you are doing with the recoverys and go and get a job temping somewhere.

your pride might take a bit of a dent working at somewhere like Asda, but at least it will pay more than Ł150 a week.

how old are your kids?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

i know people who live up your way.
always jobs going in McDonalds and in the factories.
Probably more work up there than round here to be honest.
tomorrow morning phone up all the factories? Tried calling round the local recovery firms?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
rstubby15
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep telling myself it should all cum good in the end. Im a self employed railway contractor and been sat at home for just over three months this year. Network Rail are tight b*****ds and need to start spending sum dough!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what class of vehicles can you drive?have you got class c so u can drive the flat bed vans etc?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mate i feel for you i am a sub contracter and work has gone super bad i only made 83 quid last week as and you say thjere just nothing else about the worse bit is 2 weeks off at xmas with no pay hopefully new year will be better
Old 06-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Sorry to hear this mate But as said if your working 70 hrs a week and only getting Ł150 i would look at another line of work asap! As working on a factory floor would pay more for hours. At the end of the day when things can pick up you can always leave that job and go back to what you like that will then hopefully pay decent money.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:33 AM
ENOFORD105E
Virgin

Hi Mate....yeah its real hard at the moment. Do you have any skills/hobbies that could provide work??
I worked with my sons building and it was great money.Trouble was that you always live to the max of your finance. Work died completely and they couldn't provide me with anymore work. One of my interests was gardening so I got some leaflets printed (Ł28per 1000) and delivered them to the better houses of the area. lots of leg work but the phone ran and I got some work. Sucess rate is about 3~4 jobs per 100 leaflets but some of those are regular every fortnight. So far I've delivered about 5000 leafelts and since July have had 30 different customers...some regulars some one offs. My Ł30 ebay lawnmower keeps going along with the other tools I've begged borrowed or bought from ebay. Just advertised in a local monthly publication at Ł60 per month and have picked up one regular job at Ł60 per month so that advert is covered ....since had 2 further jobs so its working...but now its becoming the wrong time of year. I have managed to pay my rent since July (Ł800 PM) and cover all the usual household bills so just keeping my head above water(monthly total Ł1400). Everyday is a worry especially as were renting as your only ever one month away from being homeless but just need to keep your head down and get on with it. ps I charge Ł15 per hour.

Not saying do what I did but I hope it gives you some inspiration and maybe an idea that will help you.Maybe not gardening but maybe handyman....you'd be suppriesed how many people don't have the skill/time/inclination to the simplest of tasks. Just don't be greedy with your pricing and do an honest bit of work.

Hope you find something and it gets better for you
Old 06-12-2009, 11:43 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

I must admit i'm not one that sits on my bottom waiting for things to get better. last january i put the trailer on my other car an went knocking at people's doors for scrap metal, made a mint out of that, also put ads in all the shops wanting scrap cars. then broke them for parts an made good money. the sod of it all is i don't have a trailer an towbar anymore, some bastidge nicked the car and trailer. lol.. what a norbert ay
Old 06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

what about this: http://www.reed.co.uk/job-details/Sp...=20&jt=4&lit=1
Old 06-12-2009, 11:52 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

fair play mate, your getting off your arse and doing a bit where you from mate?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by supramat2000
I work 70 hours a week self employed but unfortunately i'm litterally only bringing home 100 to 150 quid a week,
Thats Ł1.43-Ł2.14 per hour.

Mate you really need to change what your doing, your working your self to death for sod all.

I too am self employed, and work bloody hard for my money. I know how hard it is so I can fully emphathise with you.

Something is not right here.

I could understand if you wernt getting the hours. But your saying your on 70 per week, so the work is there?

You really need to put your prices up,if you can?

I wont get out of bed for less then Ł15p/h, and most jobs I now do at Ł20p/h. I couldnt logistcally run my business for Ł1.43-Ł2.14 p/h, it costs way more than that just to keep it alive and the truck on the road.

As has been said, just stop what your doing and get a job some where.
Even on mimimum wage you will be significantly better off.

Its hard to find a job I guess? Id be looking for the shit jobs, buy that I mean the ones no one else wants. usually the dirty smelly ones.
Sounds horrid but these sorts of jobs are often unsocialble hours and good pay.

Have you tried the local coucil see if they are looking for staff?

Its times like this I wish I was a millionaire, and I could help out, likt teh secret millionaire programme.

Let us know how you get on mate.

And just think as long as you have your family and your health, they really are the only important things.

I really hope something comes up, and you can at least be comfortable over christmas time.

Theres plently of people on here to talk to, so dont ever feel like your alone. Keep at it, all you need is one lucky break!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:01 PM
atm
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry to hear.. if you need a few extra quid per week, you could always break the car.. i know you said the engine is knackered anyway and you can always buy another when times are good ..

Last edited by atm; 06-12-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 PM
atm

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my sister used to do kleeneze magazines (like avon e.t.c.) always a good earner at this time of year! just put the magazines out, pick them up a few days later then frop the orders off when they arrive.. peasy
Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Sounds shite mate, as above though anything is better than what you are earning now, even stacking shelves. Some of the best jobs out there are where you start on the bottom rung of the ladder, 10 years ago when I used to work at Focus DIY, a mate of mine used to stack shelves, he moved up to cashier, supervisor and now he works in head office driving around in his company car.

Keep your chin up, and get round to the supermarkets and department stores etc that are always looking for more staff this time of year!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Take my advise , go to any local courier depot ie DHL,CITY LINK, UPS . they are crying out for drivers ths time of year , from now till the end of feb they are all very busy . Its good money too .It may involve you getting a van (rent one Ł35 per day) but you could earn Ł200 plus per day

Hope this helps and good luck

Last edited by Harris.; 06-12-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:59 PM
alangti
BANNED
BANNED

mate i know how you feel but it will turn around im a self employed dry liner/plasterer and i got laid off march this year and had no work up until 5 weeks ag was totally skint and only down to my gf wages and help we kept our house i recently got a job with a mate working powder coating and ive just been given my old job back doing all ive known for the last 13 years aswell as other things and its now on the up so hang in there mate
Old 06-12-2009, 01:17 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
fair play mate, your getting off your arse and doing a bit where you from mate?
spalding lincs
Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by A16X_TM
sorry to hear.. if you need a few extra quid per week, you could always break the car.. i know you said the engine is knackered anyway and you can always buy another when times are good ..
ive got another engine for it in me shed, so i don't wanna sell it, but needs must, it may have to go if the new year turns out to be non productive
Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt
Thats Ł1.43-Ł2.14 per hour.

Mate you really need to change what your doing, your working your self to death for sod all.

I too am self employed, and work bloody hard for my money. I know how hard it is so I can fully emphathise with you.

Something is not right here.

I could understand if you wernt getting the hours. But your saying your on 70 per week, so the work is there?

You really need to put your prices up,if you can?

I wont get out of bed for less then Ł15p/h, and most jobs I now do at Ł20p/h. I couldnt logistcally run my business for Ł1.43-Ł2.14 p/h, it costs way more than that just to keep it alive and the truck on the road.

As has been said, just stop what your doing and get a job some where.
Even on mimimum wage you will be significantly better off.

Its hard to find a job I guess? Id be looking for the shit jobs, buy that I mean the ones no one else wants. usually the dirty smelly ones.
Sounds horrid but these sorts of jobs are often unsocialble hours and good pay.

Have you tried the local coucil see if they are looking for staff?

Its times like this I wish I was a millionaire, and I could help out, likt teh secret millionaire programme.

Let us know how you get on mate.

And just think as long as you have your family and your health, they really are the only important things.

I really hope something comes up, and you can at least be comfortable over christmas time.

Theres plently of people on here to talk to, so dont ever feel like your alone. Keep at it, all you need is one lucky break!
na, you've all got the wrong end of the stick. i just set myself up as a driver, driving vans an 7.5 tonners. did well for the first few month then it died a death. was charging around a tenner an hour. i could beat agency rates then. but then i packed that up. i'm self employed as a driver working with a repossession agent for cars. but at the moment it is sh*te, everyone is hiding the cars. an we can't find them for love nor money, ya get paid on each car ya get back for the finance company. its not an hourly rate, but it may pick up if our office gets there finger out of there ass an starts tracing the debters properly
Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry to hear you're bad news but one thing...why you buying silly granada bodykits if you have no money???
Old 06-12-2009, 03:12 PM
delterflier

have ya tryed workin for the takeaways at nite?

i do my day job (min wage) but on friday do deliverys from 5pm till 1 am and bring in an avredge of Ł80 a night

helps alot mate.

cherrs john
Old 06-12-2009, 03:36 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by Lambchop
sorry to hear you're bad news but one thing...why you buying silly granada bodykits if you have no money???
i haven't mate, backed out of that deal because of work. he sold it on the second chance offer..
Old 06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i to have worries made worse by me and the missus splitting up . she wont be able to afford the house when im gone so she will lose it and i wont be able to help anymore as i will be needing to pay for my own place.the dad/kids relationship is likely to suffer due to her bitterness.
other than that the life is fine just now.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Jack in what you're doing now, get any old job paying a low, but steady wage, put aside some cash to obtain a class 1 HGV licence if driving is what you'd want to do. I'd have thought there'd have been plenty of work about for a Class 1 driver and pay is ok.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
luke89
Team HOTHOT!

it mite sound like a big step down but places like tesco/ asda ect pay quite good, there are normaly after nite works i did this when i was jobless on Ł8 an hr workin 9hrs a nite mc'd also pays quite well are are recurting ( at lest were i live ) all the best and hope things look up, btw im also skint and stressing
Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 PM
whosyadaddy

sorry to hear your struggling matey, as said give your local supermarkets a try given the time of year they will be crying our for staff, my bro has just been taken on by our local morrissons and he's making enough that he's been able to rent a house and move out from home.

Failing that seeing as you like driving have you thought about contacting your local bus depot? I served my apprenticeship with Arriva and they would put new drivers through their PCV test and then take the cost back at an agreed weekly rate from your wages.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:54 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

did u not find money i your truck and keep it?

karma's a killer
Old 06-12-2009, 06:38 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

one of my wifes mates's husband is in the same situation

but peronally i think they dug a hole for themselves

he was on a good wage in it and they had everything going for them, house in surry and all sorts, and the nhe lost his job

but they kept spending the same money

the position they find themselves in now is that they have a total income of 3600 a month, and their flat costs them Ł600 a month to rent with billsetc all in, yet they still spend money as if it's no concern

i got him a job at my place for a few days but he said that it wasn't worth his while, don't want to know him while he's down, but ffs, we even look after his kid and the babysitter waives her fee's while they are in a tight spot

not his fault he got laid off, but he could have done something about it

get yourself another job, but don't give this one up while you are still earning some money, hard as it is, you may be very much worse off without the money
Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

looks like you live in spalding i lived in boston for 15 years and was never out of work .there are the pack houses,job agencys,it is shit work but it is a wage that you can live on.everyone will be in the same boat money is always tight this time of year
Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

having no jobs pays better than that, fuck it all off and get claiming to get you straight

its not ideal but its better than that, least you can spend a bit of time planing or buying selling, carefull tho they will get ya if you get into it hard

dont sit there freting it'll come good
Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

you might find if they havent been paying your tax and stamp you might have trouble getting benefits. its easier to have contributed fuck all than to have worked and missed some payments.
you could inform the inland revenue of their ways.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by fuzzy
you might find if they havent been paying your tax and stamp you might have trouble getting benefits. its easier to have contributed fuck all than to have worked and missed some payments.
you could inform the inland revenue of their ways.
I have mate

Quick Reply: Am I the only one thats skint and has so much worry on my mind!!!