General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tomtom one help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009 | 11:01 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Default Tomtom one help

Just bought one as my first sat nav and im well impressed with it

But ive just plugged it into my pc to get the updates etc and i planned my route using tomtom home, now ive watched the demo route to see that im happy with it and iam, so what do i do to save it so that it comes on the screen when i plug it into my car? or does it save automatically?

Dont want to get in the car to find out i need to re-do the route

cheers
Old 05-12-2009 | 01:43 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

up
Old 05-12-2009 | 01:57 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

why did you not download tomtom for the n95?
Old 05-12-2009 | 02:19 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

if you have already pressed navigate then it should still be there when you go to plug it in the car, mine is when i switch it back on. it would be pretty crap if you decided to stop at a services half way an take it out of the car then have to re do it when ya get back in
Old 05-12-2009 | 02:31 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Elvis
why did you not download tomtom for the n95?
Too much pissing around i think and the screen would be too small trying to look at it while driving
Old 05-12-2009 | 02:32 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by supramat2000
if you have already pressed navigate then it should still be there when you go to plug it in the car, mine is when i switch it back on. it would be pretty crap if you decided to stop at a services half way an take it out of the car then have to re do it when ya get back in

ok cool.

Can you also tell me is it free for the standard uk maps/voice navigation or will i have to pay to update it?
Old 05-12-2009 | 02:35 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by BM08
ok cool.

Can you also tell me is it free for the standard uk maps/voice navigation or will i have to pay to update it?
If its a new one, you should get a free years map updates if you register it, and software updates are free for life
Old 05-12-2009 | 02:42 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

ok cool.

i think the standard maps are already on it, but when i first bought mine i didnt get any map updates till i paid for new maps a few years later, they now come every few weeks, but i do have mapshare now, which is great. ya see i go to different addresses all the time in my job. so i keep it updated weekly. so if you have mapshare on it already then map changes are sent to you as soon as you plug it in to update. but beware. any favourite addresses you have will be lost if you update the map, yourl know if its a full map update, cus it will be about 100+mb. you have to store your favourites in points of interest if you wanna keep them. to do this you just go to create point of interest category put in lets say 'work' and then add point of interest, when you do this it takes you to the normal screen you would get if you wanted to navigate somewhere, just press favourites and pick the ones you wanna keep, and do them one by one. hope all this helps mate
Old 05-12-2009 | 02:47 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

I have never planned a route with the computer software so I'm afraid I can't help you with that one, but as supramat says, sometimes I put a route into my tomtom and change it if i want to avoid certain points etc the day before, switch it on the next day and it is all still there.

The latest version of software is far better than the old version, so make sure you have the latest one uploaded.

Map updates cost Ł50 which is a rediculous amount of money, can almost get a new sat nav for that!!
Old 05-12-2009 | 04:03 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

yeah i registered for the mapshare thingy, and it let me download a small file for that.

Thanks for the info lads, its all new to me
Old 05-12-2009 | 04:44 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by Rich170

Map updates cost Ł50 which is a rediculous amount of money, can almost get a new sat nav for that!!
Its Ł50 for a years subscription to map updates... not Ł50 an update
But you get a free year with new units anyway
Old 05-12-2009 | 05:21 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Slamz
Its Ł50 for a years subscription to map updates... not Ł50 an update
But you get a free year with new units anyway

Yes thats right, but how many new maps are released by tomtom every year?

Personally if there was just a cheaper one off charge to download the latest map then I think that would be a lot better!
Old 05-12-2009 | 05:50 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Well my unit is brand new today yet when i plug it into my pc and go onto tomtom home it tells me there are newer map updates for the maps ive got and it will cost me Ł29 for the year and that will be 4 updates.

Not bad but i havent got a year free by the looks of it
Old 05-12-2009 | 06:07 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

i think the standard maps are already on it, but when i first bought mine i didnt get any map updates till i paid for new maps a few years later, they now come every few weeks, but i do have mapshare now, which is great. ya see i go to different addresses all the time in my job. so i keep it updated weekly. so if you have mapshare on it already then map changes are sent to you as soon as you plug it in to update. but beware. any favourite addresses you have will be lost if you update the map, yourl know if its a full map update, cus it will be about 100+mb. you have to store your favourites in points of interest if you wanna keep them. to do this you just go to create point of interest category put in lets say 'work' and then add point of interest, when you do this it takes you to the normal screen you would get if you wanted to navigate somewhere, just press favourites and pick the ones you wanna keep, and do them one by one. hope all this helps mate
How did you get on using it with it not being updated? it didnt send you the wrong way or down a non existant road?
Old 05-12-2009 | 06:15 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

How did you get on using it with it not being updated? it didnt send you the wrong way or down a non existant road?
well to be honest, its just a common sense thing, if you can see you cant go a certain way and its telling you to, then you don't. but roads change a lot. when ya travel all over the country the new and changed roads add up. but i still got on fine with it, mainly it just meant i didn't know new housing estates and stuff, get the speed camera's on it though mate, there well worth it. i now have no points on my licence since having camera.s on it for 4 year. i used to hover around 6 points
Old 05-12-2009 | 06:37 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

well to be honest, its just a common sense thing, if you can see you cant go a certain way and its telling you to, then you don't. but roads change a lot. when ya travel all over the country the new and changed roads add up. but i still got on fine with it, mainly it just meant i didn't know new housing estates and stuff, get the speed camera's on it though mate, there well worth it. i now have no points on my licence since having camera.s on it for 4 year. i used to hover around 6 points

Yeah i know its common sense, i was just being sarcy.

Thanks for the other info chap

P.s as my first sat nav im impressed with it so far, and next monday i will put it to the test

Last edited by BM08; 05-12-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2009 | 06:39 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Yeah i know its common sense, i was just being sarcy.

Thanks for the other info chap

P.s as my first sat nav im impressed with it so far, and next monday i will put it to the test
your welcome mate, i use tom tom all the time so i know a fair bit about em.