General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How to become a millionare? any on here want to let us know lol

Search this Thread

Old 30-11-2009, 01:46 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
Are there any millionaire's on here? if so any rags to ritches storys?
As my post to Benni, if you valued say your mate AG's business and all his toys he must be worth a bob or two same goes for Stu or Jimbob's dad, on paper they are potentially worth a fair bit does it mean they have a million in the bank ? you would have to ask them

Mike
Old 30-11-2009, 01:50 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
Thats depends on weather you are talking Millionaires that have a million in the bank or people that are worth a million on paper ?

Mike
Im sure there will be a few ppl on here a millionaire on paper
Old 30-11-2009, 01:54 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

So chip your saying that believing in something that doesn't exist will make you happier than basically having what you want when you want it????

Ummmmm..... ok!
Old 30-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

I,m quite happy with my/our money situation as we are, we,re lucky that we have NO Mortgage, no kids and have the best part of 60k a year coming into the house, ok i know there,s better wages etc but having no morgage does give you SO much more to play with, probably why i,ve blown over 100k on cars in 8-10yrs..
Old 30-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

best bet it to ask Tony;s ex-wife how she made her money, pretty sure she had a 'system'
Old 30-11-2009, 02:00 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

i can mind tony saying he had to give his wife something like 500k
Old 30-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by timrud
So chip your saying that believing in something that doesn't exist will make you happier than basically having what you want when you want it????
Yes I am saying that in my experience, that does indeed seem to be the case.

That these deluded idiots, are generally happy deluded idiots.

Obviously you need to REALLY believe this nonsense for it to work though of course, which rules out anyone with any inteligence IMHO these days.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:06 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can see what you are saying Chip, these people are content, most people are not

Mike
Old 30-11-2009, 02:07 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Apparently you can make a million by robbing copper, eh Chip
Old 30-11-2009, 02:07 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

I see that side of your point chipper regarding contentment......

People who always strive for what they cannot have will never ulimatly be happy.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Chip

I can see what you are saying Chip, these people are content, most people are not

Mike

Exactly, if you spend your life believing that you are part of a greater good and destined to spend your eternity in paradise, it natural promotes happiness.

If like myself you believe that your life will probably end in a painful illness or other slow death, and then you will simply cease to exist, its not so much to look forward to and hence those of us who believe it are at a handicap in the happiness stakes.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Apparently you can make a million by robbing copper, eh Chip
You could mate, if you managed to successfully rob 300 tonnes of it and weigh it all in without arising suspicion, as its worth about 3 quid a kg (depending on price at the time)

Even half a dozen tonnes could see you netting about 18K, although I expect its hard to keep finding it in those quantities to rob
Old 30-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by timrud
I see that side of your point chipper regarding contentment......
It really is a no lose way of being happy too, because you never find out that you are wrong, as the first time you would be proved right or wrong, is your death, at which point it no longer matters and you have managed to spend your whole life being largely happy, something few rich people achieve I suspect.

People who always strive for what they cannot have will never ulimatly be happy.
I agree, maybe thats why my subconcious tells me I dont want to own a ferrari, possibly really I do want one, but know that I cant afford to comfortably own one, so I trick myself into thinking I dont want one.
So in that respect maybe im doing the same as the religious types by believing what I want to believe, but either way I do genuinely beleive there is NO material thing that I particuarly want to own or feel would make a significant positive difference to my long term happiness.

I get more enjoyment from learning something, than from owning something for example!
Old 30-11-2009, 02:23 PM
5t1g
Shotgun Bunter

You are interesting character Chip, i would like to meet you some day.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by 5t1g
You are interesting character Chip, i would like to meet you some day.
Well as you are only in crawley, why not come to Surrey RS Owners Club tomorrow night in Cobham, and you can do so.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:28 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

The whole 'money can't bring you happiness' is all subjective

It all depends on what you consider to be happy, and how much money you think the phrase refers too.

I'm sure that 10 squillion pounds wouldn't make me the happiest man alive, but I know that, say, an extra £20K a year would make my life easier, and more fun, and ultimately I'd be happier.

EDIT: Chip and 5t1G kissin' in a tree

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 30-11-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Edit Tags
Tags chip gambling habbit, chip wishes he was loaded, chips full of wind, garage finished chip?, get chip or die trying, here chip goes again, millionaire chip?

Old 30-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Chip

The whole 'money can't bring you happiness' is all subjective

It all depends on what you consider to be happy, and how much money you think the phrase refers too.

I'm sure that 10 squillion pounds wouldn't make me the happiest man alive, but I know that, say, an extra £20K a year would make my life easier, and more fun, and ultimately I'd be happier.

EDIT: Chip and 5t1G kissin' in a tree

I think that doubling anyone's wages, is more or less 100% likely to make them happier to an extent, as it doesnt have any of the negative side effects psychologically of something like a lottery win.

I believe there is a massive difference between the amount of happiness you get from "earned" verus "unearned" income, but maybe thats just me as I believe that I wouldnt enjoy money from a handout the way I do when I have earned it.

I think if I won 10 million on the lottery it would have as much chance of ruining my current happy life in the long run, as it would have of making me significantly happier.
Obviously short term happiness would be pretty much guarenteed though until the novelty of being rich had worn off.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Chip

Lol @ "get chip or die trying" for some reason
Old 30-11-2009, 02:34 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chip
I think that doubling anyone's wages, is more or less 100% likely to make them happier to an extent, as it doesnt have any of the negative side effects psychologically of something like a lottery win.

I believe there is a massive difference between the amount of happiness you get from "earned" verus "unearned" income, but maybe thats just me as I believe that I wouldnt enjoy money from a handout the way I do when I have earned it.

I think if I won 10 million on the lottery it would have as much chance of ruining my current happy life in the long run, as it would have of making me significantly happier.
Obviously short term happiness would be pretty much guarenteed though until the novelty of being rich had worn off.
It is amazing how quickly your lifestyle adjusts though and you find your self back at square one wishing for more, people typically live to there means, the percentages stay the same it is just the £ value of that percentage changes

Mike
Old 30-11-2009, 02:36 PM
kniterider
PassionFord Regular

Lol @ "get chip or die trying" for some reason

Old 30-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Chip

It is amazing how quickly your lifestyle adjusts though and you find your self back at square one wishing for more, people typically live to there means, the percentages stay the same it is just the £ value of that percentage changes

Mike
Agreed, Ive never been rich as such but I went from 30K, to 80K, to 120K in the space of a year about 10 years ago, and it didnt take long each time for the novelty to wear off and me to be chasing more again, im sure that if I got to a million a year income at that point in my life I would still have been striving for more, even though even 100K is far more than I need to be happy.
I was very money motivated at that point in my life though, so totally different to how I am today.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:41 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would love to be a millionare im a sure it would not last long with the cost of houses nowadays

but id love to be one for a few days
Old 30-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Buy property on a mortgage, rent the property, buy more property, rent the property, etc etc until you are a millionaire.

As long as you can bring in more rent than the mortgage and your maintenance costs you then you will make money.

Charlie
Old 30-11-2009, 02:48 PM
dingocatcher
Virgin

Gamling syndicate on here
Old 30-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
do we have any millionaires on PF?? cant imagine any millionaires would still be bothering with crap old fords on an internet forum
bet there are more than you think!

I imagine a very good friend of Carlos is a millionaire for a start!
Old 30-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Char1ie
Buy property on a mortgage, rent the property, buy more property, rent the property, etc etc until you are a millionaire.

As long as you can bring in more rent than the mortgage and your maintenance costs you then you will make money.

Charlie
Im doing a bit of that myself, the current base rate is making it very profitable for me at the moment, as my deal is a 25 year tracker, so im currently paying 115 quid a month mortgage on a property I rent out for 600 quid a month, so its a truely epic % profit at the moment.

I think getting further properties at the moment would prove difficult mortgage wise though, as obviously things have changed since I got that deal.
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Fair point, but in my case, we were financially comfortable when my wife worked and we didn't have kids. Now she's a 'mum' and works from home money is tighter. With a few K more that would take the pressure off us, and she wouldn't have to work evenings and weekends. Our life wouldn't adjust in the way you're suggesting, it would just be more relaxed and make things easier. In that instance, money would bring happiness.

But then I've never been the sort to covet expensive cars or holidays etc. I knowingly chose a career path that wasn't going to make me rich, but would be fulfilling, and I've never regretted that decision.
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

People never live to their means. This is a problem I've found in a lot of people. Wanting all the best things when they don't need them, nor can they really afford them, yet a lot of them have them. If I can wake up in the morning and feel well, I'm in for a good day and nothing else really matters. To a certain extent of course.

Benni.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

It is amazing how quickly your lifestyle adjusts though
Sooooooooooooo true!
Old 30-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Chip

Fair point, but in my case, we were financially comfortable when my wife worked and we didn't have kids. Now she's a 'mum' and works from home money is tighter. With a few K more that would take the pressure off us, and she wouldn't have to work evenings and weekends. Our life wouldn't adjust in the way you're suggesting, it would just be more relaxed and make things easier. In that instance, money would bring happiness.

But then I've never been the sort to covet expensive cars or holidays etc. I knowingly chose a career path that wasn't going to make me rich, but would be fulfilling, and I've never regretted that decision.
I think everyone has a level up to which their income increasing does make you happy, but then after that point, it doesnt really make a lot of difference.

In my own case, I think that about 50K a year is the magic number, anything beyond that doesnt really seem to actually make any difference to how happy I am or not as it only buys me stuff that I dont really care about anyway.

Im sure there are quite a few people on here though, who 50K would seem like a prison sentance to and they just wouldnt know how to live on it, and likewise I am sure there are some people on here who would think that is being rich.

Its all relative I guess!
Old 30-11-2009, 02:53 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Char1ie

Charlie
That's all fine in theory. Until you go to your property and the tenants have done an overnight flit, have pissed all over the place, ripped the wallpaper, put the taps on in the bath with the plug in, ripped your furniture, curtains etc and on top of all that, your paying the mortgage whilst your fixing it and waiting on new tenants coming.

And imagine you had a few houses lying empty paying 300 a month mortgage on each.

It's not that easy!

Last edited by P_is_for_Paul; 30-11-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Benni
People never live to their means.
Plenty of people do. Look what Dan W just wrote for example.

I know lots and lots of people earning ALL kinds of different amounts who live perfectly within their means.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Porkie

I know lots and lots of people earning ALL kinds of different amounts who live perfectly within their means.

I'll wager you know more who arent though, me for one
Old 30-11-2009, 02:56 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

I have everything i need in life its just when you look on pistonheads & think imagine what it would be like to have cars like that.

My goal is to have my mortgauge paid off so my wage is mine not paying for a house. pete staffi's situation is what im talking about. Anything over & above that would be great.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbd16v
i would love to be a millionare im a sure it would not last long with the cost of houses nowadays

but id love to be one for a few days
Order a bike from me and you can!
Old 30-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

I think everyone has a level up to which their income increasing does make you happy, but then after that point, it doesnt really make a lot of difference.

In my own case, I think that about 50K a year is the magic number, anything beyond that doesnt really seem to actually make any difference to how happy I am or not as it only buys me stuff that I dont really care about anyway.

Im sure there are quite a few people on here though, who 50K would seem like a prison sentance to and they just wouldnt know how to live on it, and likewise I am sure there are some people on here who would think that is being rich.

Its all relative I guess!
50K a year up here is pretty good, as the cost of living is so low. Would imagine it doesn't go anywhere near as far in and around London though?
Old 30-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Porkie

I don't mean everyone. I mean in general, there are loads of people who claim to have no money, when they should and could have. Running round with boss cars on finance, all the latest clothing, gadgets and accesories and then claim to be skint all the time.

Benni.
Old 30-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Female)
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
Not sure what he bought can mind seeing a pic of the said card
wasnt something like he went out for cereal and spent last pound on it
Old 30-11-2009, 03:00 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Just imagine how much money we would all have if we wernt into cars! i know i prob could buy my house twice over & it isnt a small house. I have wasted alot of money ofer the past 12 years on cars

Quick Reply: How to become a millionare? any on here want to let us know lol