General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

life changing decision....

Search this Thread

Old 22-11-2009, 07:36 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts
Default life changing decision....

...after christmas im off and leaving the happy marital home. i have no feelings for the missus in the slightest but itll break my heart to leave my two kids.
is there a happy ending to being a weekend dad for those that have been in the same position?
Old 22-11-2009, 07:40 PM
wrx-maniac-22
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i doubt there can be a happy ending in that situation but good luck..I would imagine its better to go than stay and possibly have kids caught up in arguments etc,nobody is happy then.
Old 22-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

why wait til after Christmas if you feel so strongly? It will make it far worse to stay for the sake of the kids.....

Regarding weekend parenting, i have my eldest 2 50% custody, so not technically weekends, and its hard, but it becomes routine. Most important thing is your children grow up with 2 happy parents that are separate instead of 2 together that despise each other.

Does your wife have any idea this is happening and your not happy?

Sarah
Old 22-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

fucking hell mate thats a big decision that you can only make yourself....i really do hate to see broken familys so please for the kids sake think it through properly mate.
Old 22-11-2009, 07:42 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

No , theres no happy ending . doesnt mean you should stay and be miserable tho .
Old 22-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by brad
No , theres no happy ending . doesnt mean you should stay and be miserable tho .
100% agree
Old 22-11-2009, 07:44 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

hard decision to make fuzzy ,but ultimatley the right one for all involved ,a weekend dad is better than a unhappy dad in my book,
big up the advantages of being with you for the weekend and make it a adventure for the kids .my kids would be away every weekend if they got the chance

cheers james
Old 22-11-2009, 07:51 PM
stuboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brad
im in a dodgy marriage my self and agree with above statement
Old 22-11-2009, 07:54 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

yes the wife knows the score. weve been over for a while but going through the motions for the kids. i can be civil and pleasant but she cant. there has been no arguing in the house for the kids to witness and the kids are happy. its been 16 years all in together and it ran its course years ago.
i dont care about the thought of her with someone else when she does but the thought of someone else playing dad with my kids gets to me.
just now she makes it as awkward as possible for me even seeing my kids by going to her mums and coming back ten minutes before their bedtime every weekend. i can imagine how difficult it will be to see them at all when im not there.
Old 22-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Rs(555)
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not nice at all
Old 22-11-2009, 07:56 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Choose this path and there will never be a 'normal' life for your kids buddy.

However...

You shouldn't stay with a partner that you're not happy with, even for the sake of the kids. I do believe that you can get into a routine and make it as happy as you possibly can for the kids.. hopefully your wife will (after time) come to terms with the separation and not cause problems, try to turn your kids against you, throw a spanner in works about seeing them etc.... this really is a massive decision and I'm sure you've thought long and hard about it, but please make sure you're 150% sure its the correct move and have a real idea about how to deal with the reactions, questions and emotions which will result from it.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 22-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Sounds like its for the best all round if its got to that stage in the relationship, just hope she can be reasonable for the sake of the kids, as they will soon learn whos the worst parent if she stops you seeing them in the future!
Old 22-11-2009, 08:00 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there...done that....got the T Shirt

It is hard but trust me, it gets better and if anything, the kids have even more fun with you as when you have them, they have your undivided attention......
Old 22-11-2009, 08:01 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

how should i react when i come in from work and my 3 year old daughter comes out "daddy your a bastard"
Old 22-11-2009, 08:02 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd be doing everything i could to stay with my kids..............
Old 22-11-2009, 08:04 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
Sounds like its for the best all round if its got to that stage in the relationship, just hope she can be reasonable for the sake of the kids, as they will soon learn whos the worst parent if she stops you seeing them in the future!
been there for my childhood. my dad was the biggest bastard ever, a gay etc according to my mum. no contact for 30 years and he traces me to give me the other side of the story. my mum did a moonlit move because she didnt like his job whilst he was at work and he didnt know where we were and eventually went back to australia where he still is now and hes remarried to a chinese woman so not gay.
nice to find out eventually but a lot of wasted years in between.
Old 22-11-2009, 08:06 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
how should i react when i come in from work and my 3 year old daughter comes out "daddy your a bastard"
All I've got to deal with is a Labrador looking for his tea when I come in from work... so I can't offer any advice other than pat her head and put some food in a bowl on the floor.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 22-11-2009, 08:07 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
i'd be doing everything i could to stay with my kids..............

would that include staying in a unhappy relationship?

cheers james
Old 22-11-2009, 08:11 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by james kiely
would that include staying in a unhappy relationship?

cheers james
you would look at it from both sides, if most arguing couples wern't so bitter with each other & backed down a bit then they may survive.
Fuzzy & his missis have done 16 years so that must say something!
Old 22-11-2009, 08:13 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

weve been together 16 out of the last 21 years. 5 years apart during that time.ive always had the opinion of never going back over old ground and i made that mistake and did although if i hadnt i wouldnt have my little girl so good came of it.

Last edited by fuzzy; 22-11-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 22-11-2009, 08:16 PM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i left the matrimonial home about 6 years ago and never been as happy in my life. met the ex wife at a young age and missed out on a large part of my life. im with the most caring and loving person in the world now(female lol) so it does get better, lots better. marrying again in july next year. i agree we the other person, why wait only to prolong the agony. im a weekend dad to my 7 yr old twin girls fri,sat and we all enjoy our time together. hope things work out for you and make your own decisions and ignore the folk who havent been in the situation.

Sean.
Old 22-11-2009, 08:16 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

weve been together 16 out of the last 21 years. 5 years apart during that time.ive always had the opinion of never going back over old ground and i made that mistake and did although if i hadnt i wouldnt have my little girl so good came of it.

if nothing else, at least you have time for the kids, best of luck in your choice & i really hope it turns out happy no matter what the choice.
Old 22-11-2009, 08:19 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
you would look at it from both sides, if most arguing couples wern't so bitter with each other & backed down a bit then they may survive.
Fuzzy & his missis have done 16 years so that must say something!

i agree with you guzzler ,but when its gone beyond arguingand being bitter you have to move on ,as fuzzy said it wouldnt bother him his wife having a new partner just shows the love is most definatley gone ,also kids can sense unhappiness and tension from a 100 yards ,which can affect their development.

cheers james
Old 22-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It can be hard work and can go wrong very quickly.You need to make sure you an your ex stay on good terms.I had to take my ex to court to try and get custody,I ended up getting parental responsibility which is the only real rights a father gets.I dont know if you get this automatically if your are married,I was not.8 years down the line and I still dont get on with her and my 6year relationship is just going down the pan as we speak.I dont know if english and scottish laws differ so its something to look at.
Old 22-11-2009, 09:10 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

very difficult decision....
dont think i could ever imagine not putting my 5 year old to bed and seeing her wake up every morning.she lights up my life more than anyone else in the world.
but there has been a few times where i have thought enough is enough-but after calming down ive seen sense
Old 22-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I dont think anyone should stay in any situation if they arent happy. And i agree that the kids would be better off with 2 seperate but happy parents.
Perhaps some legal advice regarding access to the kids might be a good idea. if shes awkward now then id be suprised if she didnt make it very difficult in the future. If you have access sorted properly then shes less likely to pissball about when it comes to your time with the kids.
Good luck.
Old 22-11-2009, 09:19 PM
DMR
Part of the Furniture

i have been a weekend dad and now a every other weekend dad and there's bugger all i can do about it. I love the fact im not with my ex but it breaks my heart knowing i only get to see my 2 boys every other weekend.

If you believe your missus will be awkward towards you seeing you kids then be prepered for hell and im being honest not sugar coating it. If you love ur kids like i do mine it's hell. but on the other hand if ur missus is willing to be fair and allow u to see your kids every weekend or every other weekend then it's bliss, the perfect life in some ways, i miss u kids daily but u get used to it, then u realise ur kids get used to it, you live ur life the way u want when there not there and spoil them when they are.

Just be prepered for upset, women get all the right, Parent responsibility (PR) means nothing for ur access rights.....

Being in a unhappy relationship isn't good for you or ur kids if they find out but i want you to make sure you are prepared for what could happen
Old 22-11-2009, 09:23 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
dont think i could ever imagine not putting my 5 year old to bed and seeing her wake up every morning.she lights up my life more than anyone else in the world.
but there has been a few times where i have thought enough is enough-but after calming down ive seen sense
thats what saddens me most. the simple every day things of the kids growing up ill miss.
i never really had time for kids before i had mine and the missus "accidentally" got pregant with my daughter 3 years ago just when i was planning a way out. i think she new and got pregnant deliberately hoping id leave her with the kids soon after . unfortunately for her it went the other way and she a total daddies little girl .
she tries to make out the kids dont like me and dont want to see me but everyone that sees them react when i come in from work etc can see differently. its all "daddy, daddy,daddy" and them jumping all over me for some rough and tumble play and both cuddling into me when were watching tv etc.
shes a bitter twisted fucker for sure. itll get nasty for sure but she knows me better than anyone and how far im prepared to go so shes know thats a dangerous game to play.

Last edited by fuzzy; 22-11-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 22-11-2009, 09:25 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Done it myself earlier this year and tbh m8 i wish i'd tried harder with the ex wife,being a weekend dad sucks big time.
Old 22-11-2009, 09:28 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

...im looking at houses for rent just now. im not sure whether to move somewhere different. ive been all over during my time before i settled down.
fresh start in a new town perhaps?
Old 22-11-2009, 09:32 PM
DMR
Part of the Furniture

i moved, wish i hadent, used to have my boys during the week for tea picked them up at around 4 took them home at 7:30 then i moved and now dont get to do that as it wouldnt be worth the trip by the time i get home i would have to turn round and take them back.

I would seek legal advice asap tbh, you have very little rights without going to court
Old 22-11-2009, 09:33 PM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

have you got somewhere to go to in mind, i was ok at my mams so the kids could stop over. and i could still have a night out at weekend if i choose to.
Old 22-11-2009, 09:37 PM
MarK4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

its not great but I try and make the most of the time I do get at weekends, just keep it as civil as possible with the other half.
Old 22-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Big-Dan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S3an
i left the matrimonial home about 6 years ago and never been as happy in my life. met the ex wife at a young age and missed out on a large part of my life. im with the most caring and loving person in the world now(female lol) so it does get better, lots better. marrying again in july next year. i agree we the other person, why wait only to prolong the agony. im a weekend dad to my 7 yr old twin girls fri,sat and we all enjoy our time together. hope things work out for you and make your own decisions and ignore the folk who havent been in the situation.

Sean.
As above, it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

My ex misses was good regarding access initially, soon as she met a new chap she tightened the leash a little. I'm currently dealing with a solicitor which seems to have given the ex a shock as I now get to have him couple of evenings a week and every Friday night.

I think the only option for you if she's being a bitch now is to seek legal advise as soon as possible, least that way you can get something set in stone before you move out.

Big-Dan.
Old 22-11-2009, 09:39 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

i can always find somewhere quickly if i need to, ive a few good mates but ive got plenty time to sort something more permanent .
i was prepared to live this way until they got a bit older just for the kids as we dont argue but she getting worse. i dont care about meeting anyone else, i get as much happiness as i needed from my son and daughter.
Old 22-11-2009, 09:52 PM
orionadam
orion

look mate, im onli 19 and have been there when my parents split, i was at a young age, and my mum couldnt give a toss about me, what ever happens just make sure ur kids no that u love them and ur always there, if u become a weekend dad u dont have make exciting all the time ur kids will appricate the time they have with you, and even a simple stayin up late with a dvd they will love, i wish my mum did more to keep in touch
Old 22-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
Thats what would do me
Old 23-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Ive always said if your not happy in life do something about it.I agree with what Sarah says.

......becomes routine. Most important thing is your children grow up with 2 happy parents that are separate instead of 2 together that despise each other.
Old 23-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

do you have 2 children with this woman?

PS, all these women being bitches about access for the fathers need their heads sorting out!! they should be doing what is right by their kids and letting them see their dads whenever, not using them as a tool to hurt the dad!!

Last edited by Toymota; 23-11-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 23-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

...after christmas im off and leaving the happy marital home. i have no feelings for the missus in the slightest but itll break my heart to leave my two kids.
is there a happy ending to being a weekend dad for those that have been in the same position?
Originally Posted by Toymota
do you have 2 children with this woman?

Quick Reply: life changing decision....