General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Few bits i need to fix on my XR4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009 | 10:50 AM
juicy 666
Regular Contributor

Default Few bits i need to fix on my XR4x4

Have a couple of questions for ya-all regarding a couple of bits I want to do to my H reg mk2 XR4x4 and if ya can help that would be fantastic.

If I have posted this in the wrong section please let me know. Wasn’t sure as it was a varied selection of questions.

First Question: I need to get my interior out to lay down some new speaker cables (one of my other questions) and also take the dash out to fit a new heater matrix. Is it difficult to remove the Carpet/Dash from a sierra? Seats and centre console I don’t think should be a problem just never ever done this before and don’t want to bodge it up.

Second Question: have a Vibe Active 10” sub and a 4way amp for my speakers. In way of cables what would I need to hook it all up? Can get photos if it will help at all. I have looked at amp wiring kits but have no idea if it’s the right stuff for what I need.

Third Question: I have a new seat pan for my front recaro’s that I want to put on but then I was thinking I would quite like to remove all the cloth from the seats and give them a good clean. I have seen that people have done this before and wondered how it was done. Do you have to remove all the stitching and then stitch it back together or is there an easier way.

If you could help with any of these questions I would be eternally grateful. Have been putting it off cos im rather scared of f**king it all up but I need my car back on the road for work so gotta pull my finger out.

Many many thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2009 | 08:25 PM
tomoyb
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

heater matrix is a dash out job but label everything it aint that bad

everything else youve mentioned is self expalanatory
Old 04-11-2009 | 08:28 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

You can get the matrix out from the driver's side lower dash panel if you've got the patience.

Otherwise, take both lower dash panels off and you'll be able to see what to do.
Old 04-11-2009 | 08:48 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Don't know about the Recaros, but taking the standard seats apart is straightforward though time consuming.

With the front seats out you can remove the plastic valance trims if fitted, then turn the seats upside down to see the hog rings holding the cover to the frame - these all need opened up - needle nose pliers inside the rings then opened works well.
Now you can ease the covers up until you see the wires embedded in the foam - again, there are hog rings holding the cover to the rods and you need to open them up and remove them too.
With that done the covers can come off, but remember to remove the rods from the sleeves on the inside.

The backrest is similar and you probably don't need to separate the two parts of the seat.

The rear seat may have carpets on the back - that just pops off but be gentle with the poppers because they are very brittle.
Now you can see the cover folds over the metal back/bottom and is held into a groove with sharp little clips that you can carefully lever out with an old screwdriver.
As with the front seats you will have some hog rings to deal with inside, but once they are opened you can throw the covers in the washing machine.
Don't forget the seatbelt elastic and plastic trims around the holes if these are fitted.

I'd recommend keeping a note fo what goes where, but the wires are pretty self-explanatory when you come to reassemble which, in best Haynes tradition, is the reverse of this procedure.