General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

police volunteers to catch people who speed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Pob
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default police volunteers to catch people who speed?

Thought i'd post this, am i the only one seeing something wrong with this?

Volunteers needed to monitor cars

26th October, 2009
The speedwatch scheme was launched by Bishop Auckland neighbourhood team in Toft Hill in May 2009 and now the team are looking to roll it out across the area. Volunteers from the community use a speed matrix to check vehicles speeds, note down registrations and send warning letters to offending motorists. Neighbourhood police Inspector Martin Peace said he was very pleased with the results but would ask for more volunteers to assist Neighbourhood teams in other areas. He also called for a volunteer coordinator to manage the speedwatch scheme, working within the Police station, arranging volunteers and PCSOs to carry out further checks.

He said we do rely on volunteers and as such have a PACT volunteer who works within the station and whose contribution is invaluable. Inspector Peace said its all about the community becoming involved and regaining some control and responsibility for issues that matter in their communities. Anyone interested in volunteering should contact the Bishop Auckland Neighbourhood team on
Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Another little gem for the lifeless nosy interfering cunts to get involoved in
Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet they have a sign up too "welcome to snitchville"
Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Wonderful

Thats so open to abuse I couldn't even begin to start saying how much of a waste of time it is
Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

There's a similar scheme around Daventry from what i've been told, whenever i go to the ford college there, they always warn us to be careful due to local residents being armed with speed cameras,

But remember, its about road safety, nothing to do with making money, honest
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Right going from what I've picked up through work on these schemes. The volunteers won't be able to nick you for the offence only report you for it and you may get a letter from plod telling you off (no points and fine), if the do gooders catch a lot of cars speeding the police will then put one of their units onto the site who will then issue FPN's.

At least that was my understanding but I do tend to switch off when they start talking about anti speeding stuff as it's blatantly got little to do with road safety
Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I really can't believe people dont have better things to do in their lives than to sit around watching the road with a pen and paper

Surely we have enough CCTV cameras to do that for them
Old 01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Typical britain
Old 01-11-2009, 07:52 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

So if I get caught doing 33mph through a built up area, ethel from the end of the road is going to send me a letter to say I've been a naughty boy?

I'm fooking quivvering
Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 PM
cosevo

always locals out and about in Saffron Walden area where I work with speed guns, and writing down registrations. If ya cant get points or a fine, then what do they gain
Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 PM
cossiejay

the filth once asked to use my drive to park there car on so they could catch speeders and the threatened me with section 5 breach of the peace when i told them to fcuk off it was my drive and i did not ask them to knock on my door bothering me,i dont go down to the sty and bother them any police reading this NO you can,t use my bloody drive
Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

I'm going to sign up for this and make sure I add 30mph to every single person's speed that goes past.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
KregRS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw something about that round here, sure it said you'd get 2 or 3 letters then its points time. But surely if its just local do gooders there'd be a way out of it in court? Coppers have whatever training etc to use the equipment, so surely the locals are going to need the same training etc? Someone will find a way round it, a loophole or something.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting, sounds from that like its actaully the do gooders sending out the letter, in which case how the fuck did they get my address? Surely the police arent giving them access to the DVLA data?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

The kids round here do it with speed guns outside their school, they operate them though which I only presume means the police can't actually slap you for it, only warn you.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 PM
jhot80
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I got caught by one of the Community speedwatch doing 53 in a 30 they were sat on the edge of a 30 into 60 zone. so as ur accelerating. so 2 months later i got a letter saying bad boy it so pointless wasting money then its not actually catching people.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got 'done' by one of these about a year ago.

Some local muppets wearing hi viz, I think they might have had a speed gun, sent me a letter about a week later saying somet along the lines of - if it had been real police I might have got in trouble and dont do it again.

It was about 7.30 in the morning too... as I remember it, and I was sending on through a village nicely....

Tits...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i'm all for it if it's in 30 zones. fed up of scum, usually mothers with kids in the car who really should know better, speeding through our village
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this has been going on in Nuneaton for about 4 months now, yes they cant nick you, but they do pass on your details to the police.

All they need to wear to show that they are on the road is a hi-viz waistcoat (over thier normal clothes obviously) nothing more.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:29 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

To everyone that got these letters is there a return address on it somewhere or an add to reply to?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So in effect if someone had a grudge against you they could just keep putting your number plate forward to say you were speeding, what a great idea

You have to love this country, not only do we get shafted every which way but now they get locals to snitch on each other, that will raise community spirit
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 AM
kniterider
PassionFord Regular

we have them around here too been past two sets of them recently, both times to busy fiddling with the gun to actually "shoot" you. all old retired looking people with grey hair/blue rinses.

i had half mind to shoot past (on my motorbike) then go back and ask how fast i was going
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 AM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Rich170
So if I get caught doing 33mph through a built up area, ethel from the end of the road is going to send me a letter to say I've been a naughty boy?

I'm fooking quivvering
hahaha, I wish i knew where they were doing this, i'd go up and down the road 300 times doing 31mph.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rick Astley
The kids round here do it with speed guns outside their school, they operate them though which I only presume means the police can't actually slap you for it, only warn you.
This I dont mind because it actually makes people aware of the danger of small children stepping out in the road.The local school to me has speed humps that were put in to combat speeding vans/buses/lorries,they dont work.The mentioned vehicles are wide enough to miss the humps.The only thing they slow down are cars that have been lowered or stupid cosworths with stupidly low exhausts scrape,scrape,scrape .
I have to straggle both humps at the same time and to make it worse my whole estate is a 20mph zone with humps everywhere,my exhaust is fecked
Old 02-11-2009, 10:47 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well this is so open to abuse! how long will it take for them to have their pen and notepad shoved where the sun dont shine by an angry motorist!?!?!

I have a similar type of person just up the road from me. He always seems to be outside in the garden doing random stuff and always shakes his fist at me driving past and round the corner at 35 in the 40 limit. Ive now started to go round a tad faster, sometimes even daring to 'screech my tyres' in the van with the hazards and horn going for it to try and wind him up. Watching him in the rear view mirror shaking his hands around in the air all red faced and steaming is well worth it. He even sometimes tries to chase me down the road! Its quite entertaining to be honest. Very childish of me i know, but well worth it.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:49 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The irony is most people live in fear of anti social behaviour and petty crime like vandalism and burglary, the average person isnt that worried about people doing 34mph in a 30 limit.

Should equip them with video cameras so they can video scummy charvers and then the old bill can get them down a dark alley and give them a kicking.

Motorists are just such an easy target.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by S1 JOHN S1
Small children running into the road "Where are the parent's" or the green cross code fuck me even i had the green cross code and i am only 26!

I can't be doing with it i understand motorist's some speed and kill,But when parent's don't have hold of there child near a road and the kid's run into the road,then the parent's are to blame too!!!

My mum held me and my sister by the hand to make sure we didn't run off,

Fook it country to pot i am off
Totally agree with you,I didnt say they were my kids.Its just something that I see most of the time.As for green cross code,A lad I used to work with who was about 22 at the time was run over and killed after him and his mate pissing about by the road side so children with no road sense at all are pretty vulnerable I would say
Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
ben_frst

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have done some horrific speeds on my local A roads as im sure most people have but i always respect the village speed limits even if it does feel like your crawling along compared the the speed you have been doing i know id hate it if i lived there having people speeding through the tight roads where they could easly kill someone

as for the do gooders i think it will raise people awareness with giving them points so not really a bad idea
Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 AM
damian harris
sideways most if the time

If i got done by one of these twats i hope they can get a accurate speed of how fast i ram the gun up there A.R.S.E.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd call them sad act jobsworths but that's no fucking job!

Monotonous twats....
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
focusrrx87

iv just signed up can go catch al u fuckers speeding.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
JoeE30
PassionFord Post Whore!!

country is a fucking joke.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:20 PM
KregRS

Originally Posted by ben_frst
as for the do gooders i think it will raise people awareness with giving them points so not really a bad idea
But it wont be points, it'll be a few letters cos 'civilians' have claimed you were speeding. Its when the police decide you've had enough warnings and issue a summons, thats when I guess the fun begins. Because it wont have been a copper that caught you speeding, it'll have been the local villager, and there's bound to be some way out of it.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, I might sign up to this and drop the radars a few times "by mistake"
Old 02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Dave Hewy
PassionFord Regular

What would be funny is if the jobsworth twats were at the end of the road with the speedgun, the smackheads were robbing their houses. oh how i would laugh.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Dave Hewy
PassionFord Regular

IN fact i'll volunteer to be the snitch that tells the smackheads that the jobsworths are out of their houses

Quick Reply: police volunteers to catch people who speed?