General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mondeo clutch

Search this Thread

Old 31-10-2009, 05:10 PM
bigcam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mondeo clutch

hello can anyone give me some advice.. iv got a mk3 2000. x reg tddi mondeo, it has just started vibrating and jolting the clutch pedal, its also making a knocking noise now.. iv have been told its got a dual mass flywheel if thats correct, because i havnt got a clue what one of them is, is it possible the clutch has gone or is it the flywheel.. can it all be changed for a standard flywheel and clutch. any advice i would appritiate. shaun...
Old 31-10-2009, 05:41 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

yea i'm pretty sure it's a dual mass jobbie, i can't remem what there all about google it and you'll find what the crack is with them, i don't reckon you can have them changed over unless you changed the box too cos i can imagine the slave cylinder will be in the right position for the DMF, i'm not 100% on this knowledge but it's a start
Old 31-10-2009, 08:45 PM
bigcam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mondeo clutch

thanks very much i will google it and see if i can find out more.. i dont want to be spending 500 pound on clutch when thats all i paid for car..
Old 31-10-2009, 10:20 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

lots of money, you need to change the dmf as ell as the clutch
you can get a solid replacement, i knwo that ginge used to do them but he's stoppped posting, even though he's still aorund
Old 31-10-2009, 11:23 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duel mass flywheel plus clutch will all need to be changed.

The knocking for sure is the DMF, i had this exact problem 18 month ago, eventually it could screw up the started motor aswell, as all the iron filings get in to it and fook it up good and propper, although a good clean out now might save it, as it did mine.

You can get solid one piece flywheels now but im unsure where from, but there is a company doing them, just cant think who (too much beer) without changing the gear box either.

My 3 piece clutch from Ford including fly wheel was £327.28 (discounted by my mate) getting it fitted was the bit that hurt, whilst youre there, i would get the rear crank shaft pulley seal replaced, about £2.00 from ford as they start to weep at some point and if you leave it and it does, then its all gotta come out again(£££)

The fitting on mine cost me another £400 but with that i got a full warrantee on ALL parts and i knew i was paying over the odds but the garrantee was a good one, so if the slave cylinder went not only would i be coverd by Ford but the mechanic would cover his work for something i bought, so it did seem worthwhile, as even with Ford parts some DMF can go inside 12 months.

Another issue is that whoever does the job re-alines the front subframe that has to come out, if they havent done this right, the car will drive like a dog.

One tip for you- get it done sooner than later, if only to save the stater motor.

Last edited by st3v3; 31-10-2009 at 11:28 PM.