General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Supermarket fuel - Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 29-10-2009, 01:34 PM
M7 COS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supermarket fuel - Is this true?

A guy I work with drives a Focus ST2, it went in for it's first MOT last week and when he picked it up the mechanic asked him what fuel he used, my mate said Asda and the mechanic said you really shouldn't be using supermarket fuel as it's fuel that's been rejected by Shell, Esso, BP etc and it's ruining your car! I can't believe this is true but thought I'd see if anyone on here had heard the same.

When I had my Cosworth I only ever used Optimax / V-Power but for all my other cars I've always used Sainsbury's. If I had a Focus ST I'd probably stick to V-Power or BP Ultimate but is Supermarket fuel really likely to "ruin" a car like this?
Old 29-10-2009, 01:36 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use whichever station....sainsbury's i prefer...the fuel lasts longer, then its tesco !as supermarket's go...I dont use Asda fuel...at all!! It doesn't last at all ... as if its been "watered down" i know thats not possible but ya get what i mean!!

x
Old 29-10-2009, 01:44 PM
gramsey
PassionFord Regular

i wouldnt use anything but v-power. not worth the risk. also the sainsuburys around ours has had dodgey fuel now 3 times
Old 29-10-2009, 02:02 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

Ive always used BP. ultimate and Total Super.. used V-power and found that also to be good, Tesco super i found made the car run shit
Old 29-10-2009, 02:05 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Always used supermarket fuel as its the cheapest - never had any issues.

I don't know for a fact, but would be VERY surprised if it was rejected fuel.
Old 29-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I use V-power all the time, if i ever use anything else i use Tesco super unleaded, that seems to be good too!
Old 29-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont start thinking that mechanics have the first fucking clue about cars, that was your first mistake, they are just fitters!

FPMSL @ "reject fuel"
Old 29-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Always used supermarket fuel as its the cheapest - never had any issues.

I don't know for a fact, but would be VERY surprised if it was rejected fuel.
i expect it all comes from the same refinery so is no different!
Old 29-10-2009, 02:16 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed_van_dijk
i expect it all comes from the same refinery so is no different!
I'd imagine different companies add their own additives, but it definitely comes from the same source.
Old 29-10-2009, 02:22 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just look for ther cheapest I can get my hands on, yes if I had a high power turbo car mapped to 99 V power it would be V power.

Used to run my scooby on V power, but as most cars are mapped for nomal 95 whats the fucking point putting v power in?
Old 29-10-2009, 02:24 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never had a prob with supermarket fuel either.

The proof is in the pudding as they say
Old 29-10-2009, 02:27 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing but Sainsbury's finest 95 ron for the escos
Old 29-10-2009, 02:27 PM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

exactly, Standard uk spec cars will run fine on whatever, fuel aging from low turnover is an issue, as are the occasional contamination issues as mentioned above, but they're random.

For Modified engines, running whatever fuel it was mapped on is always a good approach.
Old 29-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Ask the mechanic to substantiate his claims. I bet you he can't!
Old 29-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Rob84
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I work on an oil refinery and at our tanker loading depot, all manor of tankers from different companies, such as morrisons, tesco, sainsburys, esso, jet get loaded up from the same tank they just que up one after the other. the fuel is exactly the same. "reject fuel" tell that mechanic to have a word with himself
Old 29-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you can tell the difference in my car between V-power and standard shell unleaded for sure, runs so much better at high revs with v-power in!
Old 29-10-2009, 02:33 PM
dan le moignan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
FPMSL @ "reject fuel"
Yup, no such thing!
Old 29-10-2009, 02:53 PM
JEEMO
Part of the Furniture

I used to use Shell ordinary in my car and it never seemed to like it for some reason, it runs loads better on V-Power though
Old 29-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Originally Posted by phil69a
Nothing but Sainsbury's finest 95 ron for the escos
The thing is Philys, i know you aint joking! LOL
Old 29-10-2009, 03:02 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I used to use supermarket fuel but I found I do get slightly more miles to a tank with branded fuel.

I often use the texaco down the road just for their standard unleaded. The work's berlingo gets sainsburys crude though
Old 29-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Rob Virgo

you can tell the difference in my car between V-power and standard shell unleaded for sure, runs so much better at high revs with v-power in!
surely thats because v power is 97 ron and std is 95.

tesco 99 is 95% petrol and 5 % ethanol which is a future eu requirement (2011 ii think) due to enviornmental reasons.its a bio fuel as ethanol is revovered from dairy production.
its called e5 in Ireland and sold at maxol stations....

rob v
Old 29-10-2009, 05:57 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
I just look for ther cheapest I can get my hands on, yes if I had a high power turbo car mapped to 99 V power it would be V power.

Used to run my scooby on V power, but as most cars are mapped for nomal 95 whats the fucking point putting v power in?
Originally Posted by alistairolsen
exactly, Standard uk spec cars will run fine on whatever, fuel aging from low turnover is an issue, as are the occasional contamination issues as mentioned above, but they're random.

For Modified engines, running whatever fuel it was mapped on is always a good approach.
bang on the money

it all depends on what your car is mapped to run in most circumstances
obviously the cars that are running higher bhp/litre will benifit from the being "safer" running really hot and high up the rev range with more boost and all that with the higher octane fuels, but for your run of the mill motors, they will run fine on whatever fuel you put into their tanks

it's like telling yur dad that wearing usain bolts trainers will make them run to the shops quicker
for usain bolt i'm sure different trainers make a difference, but for your averge bloke in sports direct, you won't be ale to tell the difference other than your wallet being lighter
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I always run my A4 on Tesco 99. The S2 always runs on Shell Optimax/V-Power.

I have had bad fuel 3 times from my local Sainsbury's though and won't get fuel there now. Car sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders and was pinking like a goodun. brimmed the tank with Optimax/V-Power and noticed an instant improvement and by the end of the 2nd tank all the issues were banished. Strange as the 3 times it's happened the symptoms have been the same with a loss of power, car misfiring and pinking under load
THEDMAN

OPTIMAX was 98.6 RON and when it was rebranded it was upgraded to 99 RON.

Originally Posted by Rob Virgo
surely thats because v power is 97 ron and std is 95.

tesco 99 is 95% petrol and 5 % ethanol which is a future eu requirement (2011 ii think) due to enviornmental reasons.its a bio fuel as ethanol is revovered from dairy production.
its called e5 in Ireland and sold at maxol stations....

rob v
Old 29-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Johnny Knoxville

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

A mechanic also said the said the same to me about supermarket fuels

The other half has a fiesta and it started pinking, we took it to a local mechanic and he also asked what fuel we used and were we got it from ?
We said Morrisons. he tutted and said that they buy fuels with less additives and some use lower RON fuels that whats been sold so he says.

We used some v power for a few months now and the car gets better every time we fill up.

We have stopped using supermarket fuels now and only use Shell and the others
Old 29-10-2009, 06:26 PM
dannyblackpool
Boost Builder

If i use asda diesel in my lt35 by end of 1st tank it hesitates and cuts at 60mph plus (75+ throttle id guess) change to any other and its fine, this has happened on more than 1 occasion
Old 29-10-2009, 06:58 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I found this

Originally Posted by RMI Petrol Retailers Association Technical Consultants
First some background. It used to be the case that all the motor fuel used to conform to the British Standard and the requirement to meet that standard was enshrined in law. This situation no longer applies and it is now unnecessary for a marketed petrol or diesel to meet the full requirements of the European (and British) Standard specification. The fuel must only meet the environmental controls laid down in European and, subsequently, UK legislation. So, technically, a fuel could meet the legal requirements but not be suitable for use in an engine and there is only the legal protection given by the need for the fuel to be fit for purpose under consumer protection legislation, which is far more difficult to prove after the event than the hard analysis of a fuel against detailed specification requirements before it is marketed.

This less secure situation for the consumer is made more uncertain by British and European changes to liquid motor fuel specifications enforcing the incorporation of biofuel components. This has caused a major and ongoing reappraisal of, first, the fuel specifications; secondly, the tests used in those specifications and, thirdly, the limits which will apply in those tests - all necessary to meet fit-for-purpose criteria. Biofuel components are natural materials and their compositions can vary. They too have specifications which are subject to evolution as both the motor and fuels sectors come to terms with biofuel blends. The intention in Europe is that the proportions of biofuels components will increase from the present 5 % to 10 %. With some vehicle handbooks limiting biodiesel blends to 5 %, for example, for sound technical reasons, the quality of motor fuels has never been so uncertain at a time when engines are becoming more sophisticated to meet increasingly stringent exhaust emission legislation.

Three road tankers drive into a refinery distribution terminal and load up with fuel. One has a small amount of quality-boosting additive added. The next has a larger amount of additive added, while the third has a higher performance base fuel again with additive incorporated. Additives and high performance base fuels cost more and give greater protection or performance. That is why some oil companies have produced higher quality fuels which they sell at a premium. Basically the old rules apply. Generally, you get what you pay for, and if fuel is being sold very much cheaper in a particular area then the motorist has to ask himself or the petrol retailer why. Caveat vendor!
Old 29-10-2009, 07:41 PM
mountain1989

ive always thought that supermarket fuel's just make your engine "pink"? so i always stick to shell fuel or bp
Old 29-10-2009, 07:53 PM
flashturbo
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

This is what taken out of my girlfriends 09 VW Scirocco this morning after it broke down a mile away from the garage after just filling up with Ł48's worth of fuel last night.

The BP by Mcdonalds in Kingswinford.
Old 29-10-2009, 08:01 PM
flashturbo

I aint got a clue either mate, it looks like water with rust particles in real life, gotta go meet the manager tomorrow to see whats gonna be done about it!
Old 29-10-2009, 08:10 PM
TANGO_FSI
fiesta whore

oh my gosh, not good. that looks like shite!!
Old 29-10-2009, 08:11 PM
jammy86

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know Supermarket fuels are of significantly lower quality that proper Oil company fuel. Tesco are known to mix 10% ethanol in to their fuel, which is imported from Brazil. This is why they can sell it cheaper than oil companys, becuase they are selling you less energy. Its also why the oil companys can claim up to XX more miles than standard fuel, becuase their expensive fuels have more energy per unit volume and the engines can compensate for this.

I also am sure that the oil companys get their fuel from a different refinery in the UK than where the super market fuel comes from.

As far as fucking up your car, if its a recent car you've got no problem really appart from clogging you fuel filter more often, as the engines detect knock and adjust the timing accordingly. If you've got an older engine which is turbo'd and mapped on Optimax, your quite likely to have a problem at full boost with supermarket fuels.

Saying that I've been sticking tesco 99 in my RST because its much cheaper than the local BP and Shell is miles away, other wise it would only be V-power. I also know I'm running plenty rich to prevent knock.

My 2c

JAmes.
Old 29-10-2009, 08:12 PM
flashturbo

Originally Posted by S1 JOHN S1
Jeez mate ,

All the best for to moz mate,

Cheers matey

Quick Reply: Supermarket fuel - Is this true?