General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wood Burner......

Search this Thread

Old 26-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wood Burner......

I didn't want to hijack the other thread currently on here about another wood burner topic.

We are looking at getting a wood burner, but what I am wondering is whether the heat from the room with the wood burner travels around to any useful level? Or is it likely that the room with the burner in it would be too hot to bear before any useful heat made its way to other rooms?

We are hoping to not only enjoy the extra warmth in the room that we install it in, but also take some of the demand of our heating system, which costs us over £100 per month in fucking gas (although that does include a gas hob).

What size burners have you got in what size room? Ours is quite a small room and we are struggling to find a burner small enough!!
Old 26-10-2009, 01:15 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It depends on the layout of your house to some degree (i.e how open plan it is). In our first house it heated the whole house, but it was a little cottage and was open plan downstairs. (It was also the only heating the house had!!!)

In our current house we put it on for time to time as it's nice having a 'proper fire' on but it does tend to turn the front room into a sauna. It does heat the rest of the house up, but it takes quite a long time to do so, and it's a LOT hotter in the room with the fire in, than in the rest of the house.
Old 26-10-2009, 01:25 PM
FestaRST
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my parents front room (its about 30ft) and the wood burner is fairly small. The room gets absolutely roasting. I hated it when living at home, our house was freezing with one boiling room.

They now have one the same size in the hallway, back room and in the kitchen and the house seems to be at a nice consistent heat throughout.

Old 26-10-2009, 01:33 PM
pacificzetecturbo
PassionFord Regular

You do know you can plumb your central heating into the burner? ie the heat goes through an exchange and will heat your radiators. My mate has made some prototypes for a company that sells them, and he has just finished a small version. He may sell one or put you in touch with the company that sells them if you want?
Old 26-10-2009, 10:49 PM
trooper1991

not really what you could put in your front room but any way..... my mate is a tree surgeon so there heating bill is £0, his shed has the best wood burner, a big gas bottle with a chimney coming out of the top and a door cut into it, -5 in the winter last project n was roasting
Old 26-10-2009, 10:55 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

We have one and it's fab, gets hot water so its too hot to touch and heats the central heating in the whole house no problem and it's not a small house, We don't have gas at all so save fortunes on our bills.

Debs
Old 26-10-2009, 11:28 PM
derekd
Regular Contributor

as we dont use gas in norway just abut every house has one top class at heating the house and cosy too a lot of houses here have warm pumps too easy to install and cheap too run another thing to consider mate
Old 27-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its ok if you have a ready source of cut timber but it will drive you nuts collecting fuel for it....i had one 9 years ago and promptly took it back out, messy as fook, messy where you store and cut the wood, messy when you open it, messy when bringing wood in, messy cleaning it out, messy fullstop.......its messy! and time consuming!
Old 27-10-2009, 12:44 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Sharp
its ok if you have a ready source of cut timber but it will drive you nuts collecting fuel for it....i had one 9 years ago and promptly took it back out, messy as fook, messy where you store and cut the wood, messy when you open it, messy when bringing wood in, messy cleaning it out, messy fullstop.......its messy! and time consuming!

so just what is it you trying to say Kev ?
Old 27-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markk
so just what is it you trying to say Kev ?

u,mm im not sure what was the question again?
Old 27-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Gordon1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

it will keep the bottom hoter what size burner you thinking , we have a 16kw villager . as they are the 1 to go for
not the cheap 1s of the bay

what size is your room?
Old 28-10-2009, 12:54 PM
rocky_robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

No idea the heat output of ours, but the living room is the heart of the house, with all rooms leading from it (i.e. we have no hallways)
If it's lite around 3pm (16 degs), the whole house is warm by the back of 4 (19 degs) and I'm sleeping beside it by 6. (22 degs)

Stoves are much better in regards to controlling the burn/heat rate. If I get it ready properly in the morning, my wife can lite it and not have to refuel it for about 5 hours. If we are getting the house heat up quickily, then you can't sit beside it, but if keeping the heat constant, I'm often seen lying beside it.

Certainly, the room is a lot hotter than the others, but the likes of the bedrooms are best kept around 18degs. We just open/close the doors to suit before bedtime.

I was looking at adding the back boiler in to heat up the water and also power the rad in the kitchen & bathroom, to save having the door open all the time, esp when cooking/showering.

We're in a old 19th cent croft house (1 -3/4 storey). Friends who come round on a cold night always complain about going home as they don't want to leave sitting by the fire.
Old 28-10-2009, 01:14 PM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

I have a small burner and it does heat up the room its in before heating the rest of the house - very much so.
However, I run two radiators off it in other rooms.
For heating radiators the burner is excellent - they're red hot in no time.
For heating the house itself the burner is very good BUT it takes a good hour or so to take effect.
It basically has to heat itself up (a big lump of cast iron) before it heats up the room, then subsequently, the house.

If you come home late its often not worth lighting it for the time it takes to warm the place up. They're certainly not 'convenience' items but you can't beat the warmth. Much better than standard central heating.
Worth mentioning though, my house is a very old and draughty stone built place so it takes a long time to warm 'itself' up.