General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

remote control cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
smerth54
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote control cars?

my mate brought his petrol remote control car out at the weekend and and i was thinking of getting one not sure i fancy a petrol one tho but i have a electric one already but its some cheap thing i got throught a magazine where's the best place to look and how much am i looking at for a decent petrol/ electric one?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

I went straight to Nitro when i started years back, Today tho, you can get kits like a HPI RS4 RTR (ready to run) for around £240 with everything you need to get going. With it being HPI, It's gonna be a good strong reliable car that isn't too expenive & the same time its gonna be pretty dam quick too lol
Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM
smerth54

hmmmm sounds good will have to have a look.
know any decent website that sell em?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Ash170990
Focus RS 0268

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just brought one this weekend......... paid £260 for it...... they are good fun, but they brake easy and are high maintainence! lol

but battery ones are just too slow..........

try finding youreself a decent kyosho inferno GT off ebay..... you wont be disapointed.... fast as fook!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We only have battery cars and they just don't last long enough - with Nitro you can top them up and go again, but unless you have loads of spare batteries the fun doesn't last long on electric.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.demonpowerproducts.co.uk is the best website on the internet for any rc stuff, it's the only shop I will use.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM
j6kyt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I had a hpi savage loads of fun but as ash170990 says there high maintanance. Get a nitro.

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Nitro is far higher maintanance than an electric as a 'beginner' car

Electric is the far superior choice for someone just starting out.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:01 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Have a look on 'modelsport.co.uk', one of the biggest websites in the uk. Are you looking for a buggy or touring car?? If a buggy's what you're after i'd go for a hobao hyper 7 black, as they're a cheapish good quality car that have been around for time and easy to get spares for. As said though if used properly at tracks etc they can be high maintenance and do tend to break fairly regularly. Think the hyper 7 kit is around the £240 mark but you'll need fuel/glow starter etc on top of this. Quite addictive though and you can quite easily start spending proper money on them lol.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:04 PM
pauldonachyrs
Advanced PassionFord User

one off my work mates has one for sale a petrol one tho cheap aswell
Old 12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
steve252
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Ash170990
i just brought one this weekend......... paid £260 for it...... they are good fun, but they brake easy and are high maintainence! lol

but battery ones are just too slow..........

try finding youreself a decent kyosho inferno GT off ebay..... you wont be disapointed.... fast as fook!
im sorry but LOL the battery ones are much faster than the nitro ones, just depends on what class you want to run. the brushless motors/fast modified 12turn brushed motors will kill any nitro car.

depend on what you want todo mate? if u want to get rcing at an organised club, a proper racing chassis and all the equipement to be fast its gunna set you back a grand for the equipment. then come the spares LOL

if your just messing about in a park then a £200 kyosho or hpi one will do you fine.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by steve252
im sorry but LOL the battery ones are much faster than the nitro ones, just depends on what class you want to run. the brushless motors/fast modified 12turn brushed motors will kill any nitro car.

depend on what you want todo mate? if u want to get rcing at an organised club, a proper racing chassis and all the equipement to be fast its gunna set you back a grand for the equipment. then come the spares LOL

if your just messing about in a park then a £200 kyosho or hpi one will do you fine.
Actually i'd say a 12 turn would struggle to keep up with quite a lot of nitro cars now, brushed tech is outdated and 1/8th scale onroad nitro's are faster than just about anything.

Last edited by Nick.; 12-10-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:15 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Think he meant the 'brushless' stuff.....as some of those with the right speed controllers/lipo batteries etc are fuckin ballistic!!! Imo though the 1/10th electric buggies just always seem a bit flimsy and not as rugged as the nitro stuff, and bloody expensive too!! Nitro is a bit more beginner proof imo, a properly quick electric car is big bucks.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM
steve252

Originally Posted by Nick.
Actually i'd say a 12 turn would struggle to keep up with quite a lot of nitro cars now, brushed tech is outdated and 1/8th scale nitro's are faster than just about anything on track....
if your talking about the touring cars then i would say that you have a look at the electric ones, a 12 turn brushless motor will quite easily out run a nitro set up on track.

buggies id agree with you, as the torque of the nitro is more suited to the tracks but saying that i well driven electric one will give it a run for its money.

the brushless motors are unbelievably fast. especially with the lipo technology

Last edited by steve252; 12-10-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

They are quick, I race 5.5 brushless myself at some outdoor events but it still wouldn't keep with every nitro car on track
Old 12-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Ash170990
Focus RS 0268

just buy a HPI savage XL and take it off-roading haha there mad..... some guy i know used to jump his like 8ft in the air of ledges and stuff and it would just carry on running what ever happened...... was mad! wasnt to quick but was indestructable!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM
steve252

They are quick, I race 5.5 brushless myself at some outdoor events but it still wouldn't keep with every nitro car on track
cars or buggies mate? if its a car what chassis you running?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

if your talking about the touring cars then i would say that you have a look at the electric ones, a 12 turn brushless motor will quite easily out run a nitro set up on track.

buggies id agree with you, as the torque of the nitro is more suited to the tracks but saying that i well driven electric one will give it a run for its money.

the brushless motors are unbelievably fast. especially with the lipo technology
I race 1/10th touring cars, with some of the countries top drivers and I can tell you with confidence that a 12 turn would no longer cut it with nitro on track, assuming of course we are both talking about a full race setup for both cars and not just some piddlly boring rtr car...
Old 12-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

cars or buggies mate? if its a car what chassis you running?
I race 1/10th touring cars, electric.

The chassis I use is a Team Associated tc5r which is about the cheapest 1/10th chassis you will find made to a good quality using carbon fibre, alloy and titanium, most rtr chassis are plastic and although cheap will fall apart rather fast.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM
trevorcossie
saffy cossie yes

ive got a pink supra drift one cost 300 large by the end of it though
Old 12-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bought myself one of these a few weeks back. Not cos its fast - cos it isnt, its just retro cool! im just reliving my youth lol

Old 12-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Daveyboy
bought myself one of these a few weeks back. Not cos its fast - cos it isnt, its just retro cool! im just reliving my youth lol

Love it

Used to have a Tamiya Porsche 959 myself
Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Tamiya rereleased a load of their 80's kits - grasshopper, lunchbox, frog, wild willy etc - just couldnt help myself!

http://www.goldstarstockists.com/playtime/tamiya.htm
Old 12-10-2009, 04:47 PM
steve252

I race 1/10th touring cars, electric.

The chassis I use is a Team Associated tc5r which is about the cheapest 1/10th chassis you will find made to a good quality using carbon fibre, alloy and titanium, most rtr chassis are plastic and although cheap will fall apart rather fast.
im aware of what the cheeper rtr ones are like lol.

tc5r ay?? been tempted by one of these as the look really well made for the price, how do u rate it, are they as easy to break as the tc3/4's?? not many of em down this way most run xrays

personally im an xray fan, really like the quality of there products just not the prices lol. and i used to do the welsh nationals so am aware of the set up, tho in the last couple of years i havent been attendedin all that much due to work commitments.

i did have a t2 '008 but for some reason i really didnt get on with it. i can set up my old t2 evo up (3X3 batt configuration) and can drive it alot better than i got on with the new car. maybe coz i have had it since they originally came out which is what 5/6years ago now? and i dont seem to be off the pace compared to the newer cars, so ive reverted back as it was too much money to have it sitting round not being used.

Last edited by steve252; 12-10-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are Mardave still making RC cars?

Originally Posted by Daveyboy
Tamiya rereleased a load of their 80's kits - grasshopper, lunchbox, frog, wild willy etc - just couldnt help myself!

http://www.goldstarstockists.com/playtime/tamiya.htm
A blast from the past I used to have a Tamiya Stadium Blitzer but always wanted a Top Force Evolution when i was a kid.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:57 PM
smerth54

nah ill b after a touring car 4 tarmac not a buggy and ill just b doin it 4 fun with my m8's
Old 12-10-2009, 04:58 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

PM sent!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

im aware of what the cheeper rtr ones are like lol.

tc5r ay?? been tempted by one of these as the look really well made for the price, how do u rate it, are they as easy to break as the tc3/4's?? not many of em down this way most run xrays

personally im an xray fan, really like the quality of there products just not the prices lol. and i used to do the welsh nationals so am aware of the set up, tho in the last couple of years i havent been attendedin all that much due to work commitments.

i did have a t2 '008 but for some reason i really didnt get on with it. i can set up my old t2 evo up (3X3 batt configuration) and can drive it alot better than i got on with the new car. maybe coz i have had it since they originally came out which is what 5/6years ago now? and i dont seem to be off the pace compared to the newer cars, so ive reverted back as it was too much money to have it sitting round not being used.
They are quite strong, only things i've ever broken i've broken on my tc5r are hubs and c hubs, only criticism is they do develop play quite quickly compared to other models.

I'm not a fan of the xray prices either, used to have a 007 but sold it because it was too much to keep running when something broke plus they release a new car every 4 days
Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 PM
jason_nike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Modelzone stock plenty, you can actually look at them to see what you getting.
Ive had a TS4-N for several years now, still goes great.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
steve252

They are quite strong, only things i've ever broken i've broken on my tc5r are hubs and c hubs, only criticism is they do develop play quite quickly compared to other models.
ah thats what most of the guys found at our local track with the older models, they were very easy to break the c hubs and arms, and being an indoor track, one slightest moments and its game over, as its not a very forgiving track. hense most running xrays as there alot stronger in those areas. u mean play in the ball joints yeah?

I'm not a fan of the xray prices either, used to have a 007 but sold it because it was too much to keep running when something broke plus they release a new car every 4 days
your not joking as soon as i bought both models they were out of date before the were delievered but i find theres nuthing wrong with my t2 evo ATM and until i find that the cars lacking pace something will replace it.

i find it hard to believe that the newer cars are going back to having the battery down one side, dont think its the right way to go but supose its the only way with the new lipo batterys
Old 12-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

ah thats what most of the guys found at our local track with the older models, they were very easy to break the c hubs and arms, and being an indoor track, one slightest moments and its game over, as its not a very forgiving track. hense most running xrays as there alot stronger in those areas. u mean play in the ball joints yeah?

your not joking as soon as i bought both models they were out of date before the were delievered but i find theres nuthing wrong with my t2 evo ATM and until i find that the cars lacking pace something will replace it.

i find it hard to believe that the newer cars are going back to having the battery down one side, dont think its the right way to go but supose its the only way with the new lipo batterys
Yeah they develop quite a lot of play in the ball joints, could easily be removed by buying RPM ball cups though, xray have now announced the new T3 coming soon as well, they only released the 009 in late 08
Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
steve252

Yeah they develop quite a lot of play in the ball joints, could easily be removed by buying RPM ball cups though, xray have now announced the new T3 coming soon as well, they only released the 009 in late 08
what??? the only way to keep up with them is to be a factory driver even then how do u know the new bits are better than the old bits and what bits to use
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
smerth54

i think im just gunner upgrade mine 4 now get a brushless motor and a new shell mayb till i cant afford a decent one
Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM
my-first-rst
tokey smurbo

i have a schumacher menace, its got 2.5bhp and a 3speed auto gearbox and does over 80mph on standard gearing, too quick for its own good though lol !
Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Don't believe what it says on the box fastest timed standard menace i've seen was 64mph.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nitro is far higher maintanance than an electric as a 'beginner' car

Electric is the far superior choice for someone just starting out.

You would say that
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Well as someone who has owned and raced both over a period of years i can tell you that it's purely the truth, electric IS the better choice for a beginner
Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

But it dont make the right noise's broom broom
Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by my-first-rst
i have a schumacher menace, its got 2.5bhp and a 3speed auto gearbox and does over 80mph on standard gearing, too quick for its own good though lol !

here is mine, but iv modded it a bit lol

Its for sale too
Old 13-10-2009, 03:25 PM
smerth54

yea think im gunner stick with electric atm cos dont wana b spending loads of money and then not use it that often

Quick Reply: remote control cars?