General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

how many blokes actually know about or buy wine ????

Search this Thread

Old 29-12-2004, 11:43 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hate wine, but if you think £10+ is expensive, you need to check out our broker / client lunches!
Old 29-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
i hate wine, but if you think £10+ is expensive, you need to check out our broker / client lunches!

no the case of crystal i bught was fooking pricey

but its one of the few wines ( yes to me sparkling shampoo is wine too )

but belive it or not the only few i like is lauren perrier (sp, drink it not read it ) bollenger or moet, there the easiest to drink and lauren perrier is prob the nicest, i used to drink loads of that when i was youger

must have looked well gay
Old 29-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That'll be me then

LOVE wine... buy alot and sadly I know alot as well.

As I remember 4 guys from Barclays were fired last year for spending £45k on wine at lunch last year. It was at Petrus I think. Terrible publicity for the bank, went down very badly.... I think one of the guys is still taking the bank to court for getting fired as although he was at the lunch he is a strict non-drinker!
Old 29-12-2004, 08:01 PM
CarlRsT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I'm the only one at the xmas table with a bottle of bud
Wine makes me sick
Old 29-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

I think one of the guys is still taking the bank to court for getting fired as although he was at the lunch he is a strict non-drinker!

thats a fooking good argument

fook me though what you guys earn , 45k on wine

what wine is that much
Old 30-12-2004, 08:58 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Porkie
That'll be me then

LOVE wine... buy alot and sadly I know alot as well.

As I remember 4 guys from Barclays were fired last year for spending £45k on wine at lunch last year. It was at Petrus I think. Terrible publicity for the bank, went down very badly.... I think one of the guys is still taking the bank to court for getting fired as although he was at the lunch he is a strict non-drinker!

I can imagine. Ive never been a wine drinker and felt really uneasy at our last meet with barclays advisory. £350 bottles of wine being passed around like jugs of water. The ICAP MA sits on our floor (Fred) quality chap, really down to earth who refuses to have his own office etc... he owns about 60k in wine in his cellar.
Old 30-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I prefer Chilean Reds to aussie ones. We made a stash of our own Reisling before xmas and it wasn't half bad
Old 30-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I got the story slightly wrong. There were actually 6 of them.

"5 Bankers Fired After Asking Barclays to Pay Huge Wine Bill" New York Times 2/26/02

They came, they saw...they drank. And drank, and drank, and drank.

These were not frat boys on a weekend binge in New Orleans, but six investment bankers with the very prim and proper Barclay's of London. They went out to dinner at Pétrus, one of the city's poshest restaurants, with a feeling of quiet luxury and such gourmet entrees as roast breast of Anjou pigeon on a parsnip galette.

The Barclay's Six ate, and ate well, but they had come to celebrate a deal, so they treated themselves first to six glasses of champagne, then to a fine wine. The bottle of 1984 Montachet was a bit pricey at $2,000--but, hey, these were hot shot bankers from Barclay's equity derivatives division, so they're not going to let money stand in the way of good ego massage on the day of a deal.

Then, something snapped, and the egos escalated. They got into the exquisite Bordeaux from Château Pétrus, starting with a 1945 vintage for $13,400. Ooooo, they declared as they sipped it, very fine. So they moved on to a bottle of the the 1946 vintage, costing them $16,500. Then they went for the trifecta, ordering the 1947 Château Pétrus for $17,500. Finally, they kicked back with a bottle of 100-year old Château d'Yguem dessert wine, for only $13,100. Total wine tab: $62,580.

The restaurant owner was so thrilled that he comped the food bill for the wine swilling sextet. Less thrilled was Barclay's top brass, which noted that the banking business is in a slump, thousands of employees have been fired, and new austerity measures had only recently been imposed. All six were reprimanded, and five were fired when they later tried to sneak their tab onto the bank's expense accounts.

This is Jim Hightower saying...I guess the lesson here is that you can take a banker out of a boom, but you just can't take the boom out of a banker.