General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Outlook express... how to configure for email?

Search this Thread

Old 23-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Outlook express... how to configure for email?

I use hotmail for email, but my old dear uses Outlook express as her email - and has a freeserve type addy... WOrked fine on old PC but I dunno how to set it up on this new one, so that when she opens Outlook express it brings up all the mail etc... I know the email address, but get a bunch of warnings about;

The host 'email_addy' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'email_addy', Server: 'email_addy', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

and;

The host 'email_addy' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'email_addy', Server: 'email.addy', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

WTF is that all about?

What is really weird is that there are two mails recieved that would have been sent to my old dear (one from my old man and one from my sister, but they date back to 2000 and 2003, yet none of the other mails are there
Old 23-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Update - sent an email from my hotmail to her email and it was recieved in Outlook, but can't send anything out...
Old 23-12-2004, 08:26 PM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any reason she uses Outlook Express over normal Outlook i.e she doesnt have MS Office?

Outlook is relatively easy to configure so I shouldnt imagine Express is much different. Do you know your POP server and SMTP server? They will usually be really obvious like pop.ISP.co.uk or SMTP.ISP.co.uk (Insert your ISP where ISP is written).

You will need to set the password like the old one.

Those instructions are for outlook but you may be able to make use of some or all of the info. Just got a hectic rush on at work otherwise I would sus it out for you. If you still get probs, let me know and I will see what I can find out.

HTH
Old 23-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

RIght, on old PC I wnet into outlook express, looked up the defualt mail account, copied the email address, pop3 thing for sending and the other one for recieving. Typed them into a new account on the new PC and seems to be recieving and sending mail.

What is odd tho is that when you log into the email in OE on the new machine you don't get any of the old mails that are in OE on the od machine, tho I did get two REALLY onld ones (as mentioned in above post) and a couple of ones that were meant to be sent from old machine before new one was all set up. very confusing
Old 23-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats because the old emails are stores on the machine and not the mail server they are sent through.
Old 23-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Thought so....

So am I right in thinking that if I sent say three test mails from hotmail to her email (which she opens using outlook express) then open them in OE downstairs (new PC) they will appear there, then open the upstairs OE (old PC) they won't show? and vice versa?

If so, how come two really old mails arrived on the downstairs (new PC) but never showed before?
Old 23-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........