General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Parking ticket off private company??

Search this Thread

Old 20-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Parking ticket off private company??

Parked on a car park today and didn't realise it was pay and display, return to the car to fine a parking ticket. It looks similar to a proper ticket but its actually off a private company, anyone had one of these and do they chase you for the dosh?
Old 20-09-2009, 06:37 PM
ronf42
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have recently sold a car, but the new owner parked in one of those types of car park around 6 days after.
I got sent the fine, as I was still the registered keeper on the DVLa database.
I contacted the car park mob about the fine and explained to them. They asked me to contact the DVLA for a letter of confirmation to say I was no longer the registered keeper.
I forgot to do this, but the DVLA sent a letter through to say I was not the keeper of the vehicle.
In the meantime I was sent the red letter with the £70 fine and ordered to pay in 7 days or else.
The 7 days have lapsed. but I sent the letter off to them about a week after the deadline but have not heard anything back as yet.
Old 20-09-2009, 06:39 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Happened to me in McDonalds car park where I was parked for over the alloted 1 hr. Have a look about on the net, look for their company name etc. The company trying to rob from me was MET parking services.

They sent me a few threatening letters saying they're going to do this, that and what not, but then they just gave up and went chasing some other bugger. Its what they do, prey on the innocent to make a quick buck!

File any paperwork you get from them straight in the bin and forget it.
Old 20-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by Rich170
buck!

File any paperwork you get from them straight in the bin and forget it.
That was my plan
Old 20-09-2009, 06:43 PM
ronf42

I considered sending them a letter charging them for my services due to making phone calls and going to the post office. I aint got the time to be fannying about with phone calls and letters cause they wont ask the DVLA for the updated details
bigpower
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got done by a private company and Yes they do chase you!

Cost me £75 to buy some dog food!!!

It was snowing last year and i parked in a disabled bay not realising and the bastards got me!

Just pay it as they do double it if not on time!
RONNIE AMIS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i got clamped by a private firm a couple of weeks ago, ended up talking to the police after and they told me that if it's a private firm and not council, they have to fine the driver and not the car, so either say you cant remember who was driving it or just ignore it,

have some pic's for you mate of that parcel shelf, their on my mobile

cheers
Old 20-09-2009, 07:06 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

either bin it and deny all knowledge of any letters coming through the door

or make a fuss

the first way tends to be the best in the vast majority of cases, although i my case i ended up telling them that they were demanding money that they were extorting out of me and that any further communicatio that i recived from them would be sent to the police, the council and the press
Old 20-09-2009, 07:13 PM
KregRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Just ignore it and have a look on www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk there's a forum on there all about these private tickets
Old 20-09-2009, 07:17 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

just tell them to fuck off. and this advice is a must . if you ever get clamped, ask to see the clampers sia license , if he does not have one (most dont especially smaller firms) tell him to fuck off and call the police.
Old 20-09-2009, 07:20 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Or you can just pay it and stop being such a tight arse

Luciano
Old 20-09-2009, 07:20 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

It's all to do with the words on the ticket;

If it's a;

Penalty Charge Notice,,,,You must do something about it.

If it's a;

Parking Charge Notice,,,,,, Bin it.

Can you see how they can fool you?

Old 20-09-2009, 07:26 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Tell em it was loaned to a customer whilst you were working on their car and they are from Holland or similar...
Old 20-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by focusv8
It's all to do with the words on the ticket;

If it's a;

Penalty Charge Notice,,,,You must do something about it.

If it's a;

Parking Charge Notice,,,,,, Bin it.

Can you see how they can fool you?

Its the first one
Old 20-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Stevie RS Boy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

theres been things in the news and press about these private companies, and 9 times out of ten they cant charge you, but i cant remember what made it void
Old 20-09-2009, 08:11 PM
the benno

check out martin lewis's website moneysavingexpert.com i think ,
he's always going on about these on the radio
edit http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/rec...ticket-appeals

Last edited by the benno; 20-09-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 20-09-2009, 08:41 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by the benno
check out martin lewis's website moneysavingexpert.com i think ,
he's always going on about these on the radio
edit http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/rec...ticket-appeals

yeh funny enough talking about it last week , and theres no law on the planet that can make you pay if its a privately owned car park , his advice is just ignore it and they will make final demands etc but he said its not viable for the car parking company to take you to court for a fine of £50 as they cant claim legal fees back or something .

just fucking chuck it in the bin and forget it
Old 20-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Parking fines
“If you think you’ve been given a ticket unfairly, you have a legal right to appeal,” says Martin.
“There are two distinct parking fine systems, public and private. So that’s the first thing you need to establish when you get a parking ticket– who’s fining you.
“If it’s public it’s coming from your local authority and if it’s private it’s an independent company.”
* Private
Martin say private tickets are often deliberately dressed up to look like public fines.
“Local council tickets will have the letters PCN on them, which stands for Penalty Charge Notice, and they are legally enforceable,” he explains.
“But very often private tickets are disguised to look like that – they might have the same letters, PCN, which stand for something like Parking Charge Notification.
“If it doesn’t have the council or police force name on it, it does not come under the same law, so do not cough up straight away.
“The responsibility lies with the people issuing the ticket – they will have to take you to court
to make you pay, so let them chase you.”
* Public
With public parking tickets, you must pay the fine of up to £60 within 14 days or it will double to £120.
The only way to delay it is to make an appeal within 14 days if you think the fine was unfair.
“The first step is to write to your local authority to explain why it was unfair,” says Martin. “Until you get a reply either way, your fine will not be doubled. But the chances are they’ll reject the appeal.
“As soon as you hear that, your £60 fine will be active again and you will have another 14 days to pay up or it will be doubled.”
Then comes the next stage in the appeal process, when you lose the protection of having your fine frozen at £60.

“This is the most unfair part,” says Martin. “To lose that protection is bad because it means only people who can afford to risk losing £120 will fight back in many cases.
“But the good news is that in 70% of cases in the final appeal stage, the driver is in the right and their fine is dropped. So the risk is often worth taking to get the right result.”
And to add some weight to your appeal, always take a photograph which shows why you think the ticket was given unfairly. Go to www.moneysavingexpert.com/parking
Old 20-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
yeh funny enough talking about it last week , and theres no law on the planet that can make you pay if its a privately owned car park , his advice is just ignore it and they will make final demands etc but he said its not viable for the car parking company to take you to court for a fine of £50 as they cant claim legal fees back or something .

just fucking chuck it in the bin and forget it
I'm going to ignore everything they send me and see how it goes, I will keep you posted. I would just pay but I hate these pikey clampers and plastic traffic wardens.

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 20-09-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 20-09-2009, 09:14 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin-Reyland
I'm going to ignore everything they send me and see how it goes, I will keep you posted. I would just pay but I hate these pikey clampers and plastic traffic wardens.

good lad martin lol
Old 20-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

My M8 split up with his mrs and the car they had was in my m8's name but the loan was in his ex's name, so after a row, he gave her the car and forgot about it.

Months later, he had a bailiff calling round his house asking him for £400 for parking charges on the car from since he gave his ex the car back.

They never sent off the paper work, so it was still in my m8's name.

I had to park my transit van behind my m8's new car blocking it in because the bailiff was calling for a tow truck to take his car away as payment!!!

He had to pay the fine, and his ex never gave him any money towards it.
Old 20-09-2009, 09:33 PM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

One thing was a clause of proper parking tickets two date date of issue and date of offence two sep ones or not proper
Old 20-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by Rich_bloor
Months later, he had a bailiff calling round his house asking him for £400 for parking charges on the car from since he gave his ex the car back.

They never sent off the paper work, so it was still in my m8's name.

But was that a private company?
Old 20-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by KregRS
Just ignore it and have a look on www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk there's a forum on there all about these private tickets
good stuff on that forum.

If its a private owned car park then the only way they can ever get the money off you is through the small claims court and its usually just not worth the hassle for them over £70

These tickets rely on people being afraid and paying up. They will make all sorts of claims like "effect your credit rating" "baliffs seize your goods" "clamping your car" and all other kinds of bullshit. Too many people will believe thier shit rather than look up the facts.
Originally Posted by Martin-Reyland
Its the first one
You NEED to check the car park to see if its a council owned one. Some councils have thier parking divisions contracted out. The car park should say that the car park is managed by XXX car park company on behalf of YYYYY.

Your local council website will give details of who manages thier car parks division if its not run direct by them.

If its a proper private car park and NOT council run, then they can get in a lot of shit for issueing tickets with "penalty charge notice" as private companys on private land cannot issue a penalty. Its covered by all sorts of legal statutes etc.
Old 20-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Rich_bloor
I had to park my transit van behind my m8's new car blocking it in because the bailiff was calling for a tow truck to take his car away as payment!!!

So basically he got ripped off by a baliff making illegal false claims.....

He would have had lots of letters to the address if it had got to the stage of baliffs turning up,

Also without a warrant of execution he wont have legal power to tow his car anyway.

Last edited by Psycho Warren; 20-09-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 20-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
You NEED to check the car park to see if its a council owned one. Some councils have thier parking divisions contracted out. The car park should say that the car park is managed by XXX car park company on behalf of YYYYY.

Your local council website will give details of who manages thier car parks division if its not run direct by them.

If its a proper private car park and NOT council run, then they can get in a lot of shit for issueing tickets with "penalty charge notice" as private companys on private land cannot issue a penalty. Its covered by all sorts of legal statutes etc.
It reads 'Penalty charge notice' BUT its not a council run thing, its a private company called City Cente Services based in London.. I reckon they have been a bit naughty with their wording..
Old 20-09-2009, 10:12 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I got clamped once by a private comapny......it was very dodgy, the sign saying it was private etc was practically obscured etc etc

I went home to fetch my saw and 6 ft boltcutters and cut the clamp off, I kept the clamp and drove home. Never heard a thing. In fact I think i still have it in the shed

Cowboy cunts!
Old 20-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Wheres the car park Martin? Is it a supermarket one??? As long as the carpark is private land then ignore it as others have said
Old 20-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Wheres the car park Martin? Is it a supermarket one??? As long as the carpark is private land then ignore it as others have said
Kings Heath high street in front of a row of large shops
Old 20-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Is it this one??

Do a drive by tomorrow to see if its privately owned on the sign by the pay meter.
Old 20-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course, in civilised countries, private clamping has already been made illegal, but if someone parks in a private car park I do think the LANDOWNER should have a right to compensation from anyone parking there provided he makes it clear that it is a private place and there is a charge for parking.

Not one of the shyster private parking enforcement companies though!
Old 21-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Chris Honeywell

As that Martin Lewis was saying on radio 2 week or so back
its not even a real fine so to speak its a invoice, and its not a fine on the car owner it is whoever parked it there.

It is a invoice to the driver of the car who parked it there on that day. That does not necessarily have to of been you, after hearing what the were all talking about on radio i would not be paying one of those tickets in a hurry,,
Old 21-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is very interesting!

Is the law regarding this the same in england and scotland?

Theres a group of shops here in Aberdeen that have an Asda, pets at home, JJB etc and the car park is patrolled daily by this fat old cunt who tickets everything. People parked touching white lines, over hanging spaces etc. Anyway the wife stupidly got a ticket and we never paid it.

So from the above they have no right to charge a fine because it's on private ground?

I'd love to know for sure and i'd park like a cunt everyday

I've even considered getting false plates and parking over 4 spaces just to see the fat cunt have kittens and think he's "won" by taking pics of my car etc.

Really fucks me off!
Old 21-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I got one, I ignored it, nothing happened.

That was from a private company.
Old 21-09-2009, 07:54 AM
KregRS

Originally Posted by Lambchop
This is very interesting!

Is the law regarding this the same in england and scotland?

Dont know, but do know clamping is illegal in Scotland. Shame our cowboy government dont do the same and make it law in England.
As for being clamped by balliff for unpaid parking fines, had that happen in August. They claimed they'd sent letters, but turns out they'd sent them to wrong address. Had to file a out of time statutory notification to tec in northhampton, balliff was proper fucked off when he had to unclamp the car and piss off. He's probably even more pissed off cos made a complaint about him not having correct certificate as well.
Old 28-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Lamb Souvla

I got a parking ticket from these people http://www.townandcityparking.co.uk/.
Was for £20 if paid within 14 days or £40 there after.
Was quite some time ago now, 3 months if not longer, not heard anything but just wondering if I am to be expecting a letter? What do you reckon.

Mike
Old 28-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldnt pay the cunt if it was me
Old 28-09-2009, 10:41 PM
RickyLee53

I had 1 from a company near Xmas, 2 of us got a ticket at the same time the carpark was a joke and the sign was about 100meters away (which you didn't pass).

The warden watched me remove the clamp with a smug grin. He thought he was a clever tw4t by putting it between the driveshaft and wishbone, and stood there watchin with his arms folded. Till I used the wheel wrench to unfasten the bottom balljoint and took his chain off. His face was a picture and he was straight on the phone to the police. They responded instantly and the cvnt had blocked me in with his van so i ended up having to pay. The coppers wouldn't make him remove his van so i was going to be stuck there for 6 hours till his shift finished and he was allowed to "reclamp" my car he was holding against my will! The coppers had already sided with him and said i had commited criminal damages by removing the clamp. Even though I hadn't damaged it.

Wish the other bloke didn't just ring the company on the ticket and pay it, thats the only reason the bloke caught me taking it off.
Old 29-09-2009, 05:14 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
I got clamped once by a private comapny......it was very dodgy, the sign saying it was private etc was practically obscured etc etc

I went home to fetch my saw and 6 ft boltcutters and cut the clamp off, I kept the clamp and drove home. Never heard a thing. In fact I think i still have it in the shed

Cowboy cunts!
those are some boltcutters @ 6ft
Old 29-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You not got a £100 shitter you could dump there, just for pure inconveniance to them of ticketing, picking up and chasing for a fine they wont get paid for and a shitter you dont want.

Quick Reply: Parking ticket off private company??