General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

brakes pleeeease help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:14 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes pleeeease help

been bleeding the brakes today to try and make them a bit better cos i thought there was a bit air in the system still.. i bled each corner till there was no air coming out but the pedal was still soft...so i did each corner again to double check, and im still getting air each time i go back to that corner..is there anywhere i could be drawing in air? there is no fluid leaks anywhere..im using an easybleed kit..when i connect it i can hear a hissing noise from the bottle of the kit..and its making the tyre go flat quite quickly when connected..does this sound right or is does it sound knackered? please someone help as ive had crap brakes for ages and is the only thing stopping me from using the car...car is s1 rst if that helps any..thanks

Last edited by dangerousbrian; 12-09-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If air is still coming out, it must be getting in there to start with, maybe the master cylinder seals are a bit shot, but odd it should only be one wheel.
I would try clamping the brake hoses in turn to see if that has any effect, it might tell you something.
tabetha
Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
dangerousbrian

i cant clamp the hoses as they are braided and have been told they will kink them??? do you know if the seals are available to buy seperate? thanks for the reply
Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 PM
turboRS
C16OSY

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sort your eazybleed kit out first. make sure there are no leaks. if not get some one to pump the pedal and do it manually.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:30 PM
dangerousbrian

Originally Posted by turboRS
sort your eazybleed kit out first. make sure there are no leaks. if not get some one to pump the pedal and do it manually.
does the hissing noise i mentioned sound like the kit is fooked? should it be pretty much silent?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I use a jam jar, some brake fluid and two short plastic pipes. Have you tried that method? Any hissing would say that you have air moving somewhere and this is obviously bad.

Like this, but with two pipes connected to the two nipples on the front calipers:

Charlie

Last edited by Char1ie; 12-09-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 PM
turboRS
C16OSY

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dangerousbrian
does the hissing noise i mentioned sound like the kit is fooked? should it be pretty much silent?
sounds like the seal in the bottle top is fooked. you shouldnt be able to hear any hissing. the system should hold the pressure untill you open the nipple. also the tyre pressure must not be over 30psi.
try bleeding it manually like in the picture above.
also check for leaks by standing on the pedal and see if it creeps. check all unions and pipes for leaks and tightness.
Old 13-09-2009, 12:31 AM
paz_S2
Part of the Furniture

check the bottle top of the e-z bleed, it may be cracked from over-tightening? had this happen to two of mine, both after lendinig it out!
if you had any laeks in the brake system, it would be more likely to leak OUT brake fluid than IN air.

Last edited by paz_S2; 13-09-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 13-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Dan1281
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Char1ie
I use a jam jar, some brake fluid and two short plastic pipes. Have you tried that method? Any hissing would say that you have air moving somewhere and this is obviously bad.

Like this, but with two pipes connected to the two nipples on the front calipers:

Charlie
this is the way to do it, because the pipe is submerged in the fluid it means that no air can be sucked back into the caliper while bleeding
Old 13-09-2009, 09:17 AM
S1

check the rubber seal around the inside of the cap, sometimes they dont seat properly. Also check the tightness of the seal around where the pipe is attached to the cap and nip them up. As already said drop the pressure in the tyre down, I use a half inflated tyre.

Even when using the eazi-bleed I still put a clear tube on the bleed nipples as it prevents fluid spurting everywhere plus you can see even the smallest amount of air coming out.
Old 13-09-2009, 09:39 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

the biggest problem i have with bleeding brakes are the nipples themselves if there slightly worm the can drag air in through the thread on the nipple in you have some PTFE tape like plumbers use wrap it round the thread of the bleed nipple and try it again you might find no more air showing .

i'v had this problem alot, another way to see if it's the nipple thats leaking the air is to open it very slightly so there is just a slight amount of fluid release and you should notice a considerable reduction in the air coming out.

:edit: scratch all of the above i'v just noticed you said the pedal is still soft, but this is a useful tip for some people that think they can't get all the air out when it's the nipple giving false signals.

P.s if you can fill half a jar with the one brake line with bleeding it you should have got fresh fluid through the hole lot so can't see it being just air in the lines by this point and i'd be looking into the master cylinder or such like.
Old 13-09-2009, 10:00 AM
dangerousbrian

im positive there is no leaks in the system as they have been double checked then checked again for good measure..every single thing regarding the brakes is brand new(calipers have new seals) bar the servo which i know works fine..from what has been said it looks/sounds like the easybleed is fubar judging by the hissing noise...i tried the original mc i had which worked fine before and still didnt feel right..im just puzzled as to why im constantly getting air when i go back to each corner..the same setup worked before i stripped it down so its def something i have/havent done or not doing correctly
Old 13-09-2009, 10:07 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

like said mate trust me it can be coming from the nipple and the squishy brakes could just be the way they are or the fluid, is the pedal going to the floor or just still a little spongy, i have noticed alot of older cars won't get a solid pedal but admitted thats without braided lines, sure someone will no, i'v never owed a s2 so couldn't tell you on that.
Old 13-09-2009, 10:12 AM
dangerousbrian

the pedal was going nearly all the way to the floor originally until i attempted to bleed them again..now its about 2/3rds travel before the brakes bite at all..def not enuff to stop quick enuff if needed..i will try some plumbers tape i think although the bleed nipples are brand new also..thanks for the replies
Old 14-09-2009, 11:02 PM
paz_S2
Part of the Furniture

Are the rear brakes adjusted properly?
If the handbrake cable is just 'wound up' and the shoes are not correctly adjusted then the brake cyl in the rear brakes will be displacing(?) a great amount giving you long brake pedal travel. This may sometimes give you a spongey pedal too.