General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo Tddi On bio Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 AM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mondeo Tddi On bio Diesel?

Is the mondeo mk 3 2001 tddi alright to run on proper bio diesel bought from a pump?

Not talking about mixing own with veg oil or anything like that.

85.9p a litre, would save around £13 per tank as long as bio diesel would do the same miles per tank.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Mark RS

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by daviddunlop83
Is the mondeo mk 3 2001 tddi alright to run on proper bio diesel bought from a pump?

Not talking about mixing own with veg oil or anything like that.

85.9p a litre, would save around £13 per tank as long as bio diesel would do the same miles per tank.

your turning into a right scruge
Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 AM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by Mark RS
your turning into a right scruge
Its called saving money when you can, why wouldnt you if it works perfectly as good as diesel for cheaper.

You went from im never buying a diesel to owning one

Did the scrapper pass mot?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

im running bio diesel on my x reg Astra. Mind you I dont get it from the pump as a guy around here makes it from veg oil and I fill up for 32 quid a tank - you just gotta change the fuel filter every so often.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Mark RS

Originally Posted by daviddunlop83
Its called saving money when you can, why wouldnt you if it works perfectly as good as diesel for cheaper.

You went from im never buying a diesel to owning one

Did the scrapper pass mot?
yea wanker was going to fail it for slight play in the rear wheel bearing ,his mate told his to have a bit of sence and he passed it.
the other guy said he was a dick and only in temp.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:51 AM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by R4N S S
im running bio diesel on my x reg Astra. Mind you I dont get it from the pump as a guy around here makes it from veg oil and I fill up for 32 quid a tank - you just gotta change the fuel filter every so often.

Does it do the same per tank as normal diesel? The garage that i pass on the way to work is selling it for 85p per litre which isnt too bad
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

pretty much the same - if I was being picky I would say maybe a little less than normal but you wouldnt notice it. I get approx 450 miles to a tank in mine which is about average and that is caining it everywhere

if you do use bio - i would keep a spare fuel filter in the car as it can clog them up quite easily - especially if you have a lot of crap in your tank like i do only take less than 5 mins to change and are about 6 quid each

I havent bought bio from the pump as the guy i get it from makes his own and its about 65p a litre.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Mark RS

pretty much the same - if I was being picky I would say maybe a little less than normal but you wouldnt notice it. I get approx 450 miles to a tank in mine which is about average and that is caining it everywhere

if you do use bio - i would keep a spare fuel filter in the car as it can clog them up quite easily - especially if you have a lot of crap in your tank like i do only take less than 5 mins to change and are about 6 quid each

I havent bought bio from the pump as the guy i get it from makes his own and its about 65p a litre.
is there any loss of power or is it the same
Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

i always thought there was an ever so slight loss but this is largel due to the filter getting clogged up - my filter was changed only the other week and the car pulls so much better.

To be honest compared to the trade off - its worth it.

If I wanted a high performance diesel I deffo would not br driving a 1.7DTI Ashtray

(Altho I am thinking of getting chipped but cant decide as I just want to run and not worry about any bills, etc)
Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 AM
daviddunlop83

i always thought there was an ever so slight loss but this is largel due to the filter getting clogged up - my filter was changed only the other week and the car pulls so much better.

To be honest compared to the trade off - its worth it.

If I wanted a high performance diesel I deffo would not br driving a 1.7DTI Ashtray

(Altho I am thinking of getting chipped but cant decide as I just want to run and not worry about any bills, etc)

Yeah i know what you mean, you dont buy a diesel for performance

Stick with the cosworth for that, even tho i just sold mine to buy my first house.

I just dont want the diesel pump shitting itself and costing £600 for a new one lol. Would take alot of bio diesel to make up for that

How often would you change your diesel filter using bio diesel? Like rough milage? They are dead handy changed on the mondeo also

I normally change mine every 20k but that using BP diesel all the time.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:24 AM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a van this astra? How do you find it? Nippy?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Ashtray is an ex police car not quick but gets you to where you wanna without any drama.

Filter only gets changes when the cars starts to lose performance or when it starts to cut out due to no fuel being sent through the filter usually after I have ran the tank dry and the filter gets clogged up from the crap in the tank. Approx every 5k it should be changed on bio if doesnt get clogged up before then.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Rs1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ashtray is an ex police car not quick but gets you to where you wanna without any drama.

Filter only gets changes when the cars starts to lose performance or when it starts to cut out due to no fuel being sent through the filter usually after I have ran the tank dry and the filter gets clogged up from the crap in the tank. Approx every 5k it should be changed on bio if doesnt get clogged up before then.
Yep thats what ive found aswell, regular filter changes are a must. On the shitroens/pug's etc it actaully flags up a fault.....similar to a when a forced re-gen needs doings but it actually will make the engine cut out if you try and rev it past 3k or so. Wait a few seconds and it'll fire straight up again and be fine to drive (with loss of power) until you can get the filter(s) done.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

You dont need to alter anything on the car either.

just fill up and go.

Mine cuts out proper and doesnt rev or idle at all if the filter is clogged. Not fun breaking down on a massive roundabout in rush hour

But other than that if you keep a spare filter like I do you will not get into that trouble.

Its a nice cheap way of motoring and the only reason I have kept that car till know. I have been thinking of getting a mk3 mondy but dont want to lose anything on the ashtray so will just have to drive that into the ground
Old 10-09-2009, 03:34 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BIO at the pumps is a different mix than home brew stuff, for a start it's only 5% bio, as if it was 100% the car would stop within miles, this was found when using 100% bio on older vehicles with any more than about 2,000 miles on them, it's because it is such an effective cleaner.
Some cars been run on 100% from new though, without problems.
Heating oil is even cheaper, and vastly better quality, just add 2% Klotz techniplate to mix every 4th tankfull.
Me mates rangey has 350,000 miles on it, drives like new, always gets comments about how clean it is emissions wise.
tabetha
Old 10-09-2009, 04:29 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

tabetha - can you pm some info on this heating oil stuff and what you need to mix it with.

I may persuade my friend to look into this altho he has been doing this for years and has perfected his technique.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:05 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

will heating oil get a fine from customs and excise if the plod tug you and the tank gets dipped.

i have been dipped before and all they were arsed about was the colour of the liquid,the copper watching the customs was saying is it legal,is it legal which fucking made me almost blow a gasket so i replied eh! if it isn't red theres nowt wrong is there. then the customs woman starts shaking it like the marracas,as if thats going to make it turn into tizer ffs.