General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Why are there so many unroadworthy cars out there?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Angry Why are there so many unroadworthy cars out there?!!!

As a few people may know, I work as an AA patrol so come across a lot of cars on the road.

The one thing that really shocks me is how so many cars I come across are totally unroadworthy. I'm not talking about things like number plate lights not working and things like that but cars that are quite literally falling to bits, bald tyres, little or no brakes and bad body damage with sharp edges that could cause injury etc.....

I went out to a Nissan Primera last week for a wheel change, removed the offside front wheel and noticed there was absolutely no material left on the pads and were metal to metal on the discs and had been for some time!

I asked the guy why he hadn't had the brakes sorted as they must have sounded horrendous! 'Why? They still work.' came the reply!

After trying to explain he needs to get them sorted, he said he will sort them when they stop working!! By which time it will probably be to late and would have killed someone! I even offered to recover the car or fit pads and discs for him and still he said no!!! Cunt!

I put the same wheel back on with the fucked, split (and just barely legal) tyre back on and said that I am not helping to put an accident waiting to happen back on the road. What makes this even more chilling is this vehicle was a private hire taxi so is using this to carry innocent people! Wanker!

The majority of us spend money keeping our cars safe and legal so why are there these arseholes who think they don't need to?!!!

Anyone got any similar experiences?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 PM
bristol_fez
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People i suppose just been tighter with their money so they might think when they are told "you need to replace xxx" they just think i will wait until it fails.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Its shocking and a taxi too
Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I have a friend who got an MOT advisory for the same set of worn out brake pads 2 years in a row!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

There are things that just shouldn't be skimped on.

If you can't afford to mantain the car to a roadworthy standard, IMO you shouldn't use or own it. Just my viewpoint.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Transit van drove past me last week with the full centre exhaust system to backbox dragging on the ground on duel, i was doing 70 when it past me with sparks flying about and exhaust bouncing all over the shot

Some right wankers on the roads
Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you mate, I'd report them to the old bill after they've got back in the car and they're ready to set off. Job done.

Trending Topics

Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Slaney21
Roflmaowtfbbqhax!

Thats pretty shocking mate. Is there no system in place where you can make notes of the cars condition so if you are called out to it again and find it in similar condition you could pass details on to the old bill?

The only time i had an AA guy have a light hearted grumble at me was when he couldnt put the tools resting on the engine bay when repairing a split pipe as its all chromed
Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitchen Devil
If you can't afford to mantain the car to a roadworthy standard, IMO you shouldn't use or own it. Just my viewpoint.
Problem is quite a few poor people would use that mentality as just another excuse to flame the "your picking on poor people" debate like with all the tax dodgers and no insurance drivers who have similar excuses.

The funny thing is these poor people often moan about us taking thier freedom etc if their car is seized for being illegal yet they live within walking distance of a supermarket and dont work so why sould they need a car???? Plenty of poor single mums pushing twin prams all over the city and they seem to accept they cant afford a car and accept they are stuck on the bus
Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

people just can't see the justification of spending ŁŁŁŁ on their car when it still drives.

If it has mot they think it must be fine, till they have an accident.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Its a bit comical isnt it.I think alot of people just keep buying old bangers instead of keeping there cars when it comes to mot time.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

but thats just plain retarded thats like saying you wouldnt do anything about arterial bleeding after a knife wound until your heart stops beating
Old 07-09-2009, 01:41 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by matts1
people just can't see the justification of spending ŁŁŁŁ on their car when it still drives.

If it has mot they think it must be fine, till they have an accident.
so very true, i had a crash last year, my own fault i may add too.
i had great brakes and everything, although the tyres were legal, the grip was attrocious, old part worns on at the time, i put off buying new ones, then i crashed when i hit some damp road and locked wheels up.
first thing I've done is check and replace all worn tyres on all cars, i could have ended up much worse and really hurt someone.

sadly it does take an accident to realise the danger of a vehicle for some people.
for me it was tyre quality, as the rest of the car was spot on and i always maintain them to be 'safe'
Old 07-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

My mate also works for the AA and the worst cars he ever goes to is Private Hire Taxi around Birmingham.
One he went to the N/S/F wheel bearing had completely colapasted the wheels was just dancing around in the arch and the owner asked if he could just bodge it!!!
He obvioulsy say no and told hom it would have to be recovered to a garage the owner declined and carried on driving it!!
Rich
Old 07-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Originally Posted by Slaney21
Thats pretty shocking mate. Is there no system in place where you can make notes of the cars condition so if you are called out to it again and find it in similar condition you could pass details on to the old bill?

The only time i had an AA guy have a light hearted grumble at me was when he couldnt put the tools resting on the engine bay when repairing a split pipe as its all chromed
All I can do is refuse service on the grounds that the vehicle is unfit for use on the road and phone the operations centre to let them know why. They should then refuse service if the member calls back for the same issue.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Originally Posted by cozmeister
If I were you mate, I'd report them to the old bill after they've got back in the car and they're ready to set off. Job done.
Nothing would please me more but the guy would know who tipped them off and then it would get complicated with work etc......

All I'm told to do is report it to my office and refuse service.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

do you still get loads of pakistani's giving the membership number to thier super extended family and expecting the same service??
Old 07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
steve252
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

dunno about these "private hire taxi" claims of being truely unroadworthy. we test them in my place and a under five year old taxi needs an mot check every 6 months for its taxi plates. over five years and its 3 times a year, so either its bollox there private taxis or its the garage providing them the taxi licence/mot that needs to be prosacuted.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:42 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just have left the wheel off, as they may well try to implicate you in the even of an accident.
Good for you for refusing service to dickheads like this tough, too much shit on the roads these days, especially with our really slack mot test.
tabetha
Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

How many private hire cars in big citys like brum actually have a valid plate anyway??

And in any major city theres plenty of places to get a dodgy MoT if your "in the know" like im sure most of these drivers are.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Originally Posted by tabetha
I would just have left the wheel off, as they may well try to implicate you in the even of an accident.
Good for you for refusing service to dickheads like this tough, too much shit on the roads these days, especially with our really slack mot test.
tabetha
The only reason I put the wheel back on is because I wanted my jack back! LOL!

Beleive me, there was nothing that could be done to fix that tyre! Had a dirty great split in it where he twatted a kerb!!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
do you still get loads of pakistani's giving the membership number to thier super extended family and expecting the same service??
It seems it doesn't matter where they're from, loads try it! One guy tried using his dads. His dad was born in 1948 and the guy could have been no older than 20 and he still tried to say that it was him! He must have thought I was blind!

Joined him up on his own membership in the end!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Pete frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id say people who are short of cash dont want to line the pockets of some poxy garage who is short that week so they're 'find' something extra to do..........