General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: What to do with the fireplace
Boxed in hole for AV equipment, vase, display etc
44.23%
Traditional fireplace
23.08%
Modern fireplace
32.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - buying a house: fire or not?

Search this Thread

Old 18-11-2009, 05:46 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
Nick, I just saw the advert for you house mate. Want a p/ex??
which way is the part? it's all about the location, location, location.

doors are alright now that i've glossed them, but they were minging in pine finish when we moved in. doors with glass panels are the future - except for the kazi and the boom boom room
Old 18-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look forward to seeing the pics Mike! The reason I put the TV thing in mine [other than being a geek] was that we had no focal point either.

You'll have to ignore the state of the rest of the room, lol. It's a work-in-progress. Was hoping to get it all finished by Christmas, but had too much going on lately, so will probably get done just after now.

Should look ok once the walls are painted. The area round where to old fire was is a bit grubby and there's a storage heater in the room too, and over a couple of years the walls always get grubby above them, so have now got proper central heating installed with normal radiators, so will hopefully sort out that issue.

In that picture you can see where the skirting board was cut away to locate the previous fireplace which was way, way OTT and old-fashioned for the room. I've got some neat-looking plastic skirting boards which have a removable faceplate to allow wiring to run through them, and so it's easily accessible and you can fit plenty in them, so should be good when they're fitted as I've got TV, DVD, Amp, plenty of speakers, PS3, XBOX, Wii, Sky HD which has to have two cable running from outside, phone lines for the Sky, the phone, the PC, XBOX Live, PSN etc etc etc, lol, so there's wires everywhere which I hate, but hopefully this will help tidy that up a treat. Will also obviously mean I can run the fire lead through it, as at the moment it's just been bought and plonked into place, and then plug it in the socket tucked away behind the sofa, which will need replacing next as it clashes with all the new decor, lol. It's never ending!
Old 18-11-2009, 07:28 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

that type of skirting board sounds interesting mike. any link? stuff that i've seen looks far too commercial and not suitable for the home
Old 18-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Mike C
The Special One

This is the stuff

http://www.kentsdirect.com/selfbuild...ard-white.html
Old 18-11-2009, 08:01 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

would like to see it in the flesh before i make my mind up
Old 18-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_bloor
Theres nothing better than keeping a real fire going to warm up the house. Its fantastic!

Having been born into a lovely old cottage with open fires even in the bedrooms I think you must be on drugs - they are horrible, sooty fire hazards & any house ive owned since with an open fire ive ripped out & put a modern far more efficient heating device in.
Old 18-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I would have neither as they both dictate the layout of the room and means nothing else can go along that wall. So rip it out and of course take the breast out as well.

Have to say I can never understand why anyone would want to fix a large flat screen into the wall at such height (as in your example pic). And mounting it into a breast is just tacky IMO - it's a TV not a fire!lol

My 46" LCD sits around 1.5ft up off the floor and I am sat around 6.5ft away from it. When sat in the middle of the sofa my eye line is pretty much in the centre of the TV screen - which I think is perfect. Plus I can swivel the screen should I be sat in the dining room to get a better view.

All I can think is people who have TV's mounted so high must get neck ache!lol
Old 19-11-2009, 05:17 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

are you a midget that sits on the floor?
Old 19-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Love the look of that Mike! Very smart indeed.

I disagree with Dan, I know you're supposed to have your eye line level with an imaginary line at the bottom of the top third of the screen [it makes sens if you read it slowly] BUT it's not practical in most modern living rooms. I wanted the TV out of the way of sticky little fingers!
Old 19-11-2009, 09:54 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Love the look of that Mike! Very smart indeed.

I disagree with Dan, I know you're supposed to have your eye line level with an imaginary line at the bottom of the top third of the screen [it makes sens if you read it slowly] BUT it's not practical in most modern living rooms. I wanted the TV out of the way of sticky little fingers!
that was fine when i had it up in the air, but then the little owners of the sticky fingers grew taller

and then the second pair of sticky fingers discovered the joys of standing on other things to make her taller, so a fail there too
Old 19-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

We've all heard of Bonsai kittens.

Bonsai kids are the way to go.