General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Couriers

Search this Thread

Old 31-07-2009, 02:37 PM
KregRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couriers

Does anyone on here work as a courier? Whats the best way to get into it? I've been out of work for a few months now, most of my background is in multidrop, and this is something I've thought about doing before. Is a van necesary, or could I get started using my car, Mondeo estate.
Old 31-07-2009, 05:08 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st off you will need a van mate unless you work DHL home which is poo imo, then just go around every courier depot in your area and ask be blunt say you can do holiday cover or bulk delivering. Target the van owner drivers as they will prob need to arrange there own holiday cover etc, your back round sounds ok but how many drops were you doing in multi-drop? alot of people think couriers drive into the depot in the morning throw 20-30 parcels into there van and go which is not the case its more like 120-180 parcels and maybe 100 odd drops a day. I love it to be honest im contracted to UK mail (business post) as a van owner driver with my own route and holiday cover is a nightmare!!!! you say could you use your car yes you could but you wont be insured with your current policy for courier work and you would not get many parcels in a mondeo estate. We have to have a 4metre van (no older than 4 years old) and belive me when its busy some parcels get left off, that`s top to bottom front to back jammed packed full.

Im up at 04.45 every day and into the depot for 05.15 scan all me parcels load my van in drop order and leave about 05.50 for a 2hr drive to Stranraer to start delivering, average miles a day is around 340-380 and £50-65 diesel, like i say it takes a bit to get use to and is not as easy as some people think BUT its well paid on my run.

hope this helps mate and good luck
Old 31-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I am. my advice is dont bother . They want your blood everyday !!!!!