General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

pf builders/decorators, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 29-07-2009, 09:41 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default pf builders/decorators, advice needed

we've just had the chimeny's removed from the house and now have a virgin fresh wall of plaster to paint in 2 rooms as well as the hallway/landing

do i need to brush on a few coats of sealer first before applying any paint to the walls? they are deffo going to be painted as we can't be arse'd to do the wall papering stuff (2 small kids and pencil lines are apparently "fashionably" for young kids )

or can i just go to b&q and buy some stuff in a tin that does the painting and sealing side of things?

also, how long does plaster take to dry fully? it's been on for about 24 hours so far and some bits are dry to look at and there are some bits that still "look" damp so obviously i'm going to have to wait for these damp bits to dry out first, but does the wall have to be fully "dry" or is it just a case of waiting 48 hours and then slapping a coat on stuff on?
Old 29-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get paint that is designed for freshly plastered walls from B&Q etc.

Otherwise you will end up doing far too many coats and if you damage the wall the paint will peel off.
Old 29-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd wait for it to dry fully mate, until it ALL goes the lighter colour.

We've had our entire house plastered over the last 10 months and all I did to seal the plaster is mix in a bit of water with white emulsion and do a "wash coat". That should soak it in and seal it.

Depends where you look but the average seems to be 20% water but I've never properly measured it and it looks pretty good so far imo!
Old 29-07-2009, 09:52 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

exactly as per Paddy and i'd say 5 days to a week to dry fully.

If you dont let it dry properly it will end up with mould and the paint peeling off

Last edited by It's Czech Mate; 29-07-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 29-07-2009, 09:56 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

looks like i'll be leaving it to dry then

didn't want to go off anf get things finished without finding out the in's and outs though, and i'm sure the old man did a wash coat using some sort of pva and water mix at the other house, did 2 coats when the extension was done and nothing after that and it's still looking "not quite finished yet" so i didn't want to have the same look, expesially as it's cost £1500 to get done by some proffesionals rathe than £500 by my dad's mate