General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car Scrappage Scheme - query?

Search this Thread

Old 27-07-2009, 09:44 AM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Scrappage Scheme - query?

Hi,

regarding the government's car scrappage scheme and the circa £2000 grant towards a new car; is there anything to stop people immediately selling the new car to someone else? Or does the first owner have to own the car for a set period before they are able to sell it on?

My father is in the market for a new car, and my uncle has a spare old car (with MOT etc) in his name, we're hoping my uncle can make the new car pruchase and then sell the car to my father the day after.

Cheers,

Agar
Old 27-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

scammers!
Old 27-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope - nothing in the rules to say you must keep if for a period of time mate.
Old 27-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But is the scrappage scheme really that good anyway? Can you still get the same deals (i.e. Discounts) that you would have previously got had you just walked into the dealership with no car to scrap and pinned them down to a deal.

How would that balance out against buying a car and instantly putting 2 owners on the log-book?

Genuine question BTW.
Old 27-07-2009, 09:49 AM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Excellent!

I wonder how many people are doing a similar thing, but selling the car on to the general public for a tidy profit?!
Old 27-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
But is the scrappage scheme really that good anyway? Can you still get the same deals (i.e. Discounts) that you would have previously got had you just walked into the dealership with no car to scrap and pinned them down to a deal.

How would that balance out against buying a car and instantly putting 2 owners on the log-book?

Genuine question BTW.
Yes and No, most dealers intially took the stance that the 2k scrappage allowance was in lieu of any previous discount. A lot are now giving additional discounts on top of the scrap allowance.

Dont forget most of the reason behind scrap alowance was to generate more showroom traffic, which it seems to have done - as for the deals being done being better for the customer??? who knows?

I still reckon with no scrap/px etc etc you can get just as keen a deal as before.
Old 27-07-2009, 09:55 AM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy

Genuine question BTW.
Thats something we are to look into. We're pretty sure if you use the scrappage scheme you will not get the same discount off the list price, than if you we not using the scheme. I'd imagine the scrappage scheme deal will still undercut any other discount a dealer may offer, however, it will all depend on how generous this discount is.

The above plan is only one idea - my father still has his own car that he may PX with a deal (obviously without the scrappage scheme).

As for the log-book, I can't imagine there would be too much of a problem. After all many dealers register cars (with them being the first owner) and then sell them on very shortly after. If there is a problem with this, the car can sit in our garage until the paper work is sorted.