General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone Ride A 125cc Bike??

Search this Thread

Old 22-07-2009, 11:28 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Ride A 125cc Bike??

Im tempted to get a bike for commuting, been tempted for a long time now. Ive seen a Honda CBF125 which I quite like, but Ive never ridden a 125.

Im worried that I will buy the bike and never use it due to bad weather or easier to just jump in the car.

Im tempted as Im hoping it will get me out more (I can't travel in peak traffic times and parking is terrible most places I visit, so don't bother going, but a bike should eliminate most of this). It will help reduce the cost of petrol each week and will get me confidence if I want to upgrade to a bigger bike in the future.

Does anyone else ride a 125?
Are they good for commuting?
Are they good for long journeys?
I know you can get wet proofs, but how much hassle is riding in the rain (i.e. hard to see, get wet, car drivers get worse, etc)?

Anything else anyone can give, good or bad to make me decide?
Old 23-07-2009, 12:09 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

ok 125 are good little starter bike, great for commuting if you went for a cbf would probs see 50mpg , long journeys depends on what you mean as long to about 30-40 miles is ok you can go on the motorway as long as you have your full license, but i'd bet you'd struggle to see 65-70 on a 4 stoke 125 (has been a while since i'v been on one though), a 2 stroke would see you about 100mph and 0-60 in 5.5-6.5 de-restricted that is, will then come into reliability issues, aprillia rs125's are the bollocks of 125's but need proper looking after to keep them running and the best 2stroke oil you can buy, honda NSR's are alot better but quite small, but more reliable in turn.

weather well rain obviously isn't nice, i find the best cheapest set up is to get some anti fog stuff for your visor, ride with it open just slightly so it doesn't fog cos it will no matter what you put on there, just what you put on will stop it from fogging as bad, and a set of them plastic waterproofs, the mack type ones, when i was riding nearly all the waterproofs would soak through eventually, these plastic ones would keep the wind and rain totally out, can get a bit sweaty at times but better than having a stream of water running up your leg to your nob also spray can be a problem when it rains but just slow down to suit your visibility.

"good" set of gloves and some decent boots imo, you can get away with a pair of COTTON traki bottoms and a pair of jeans if you don't want the weight of leathers they have to be cotton though cos if you do fall off and go through your jeans nylon will burn to your skin, i'd advise leathers but i have worn this and fallen off at 60 un hurt, but depends on the situ obviously. winter can be a bitch too your hands will get soo cold on long journeys and ice can be a real problem, but riding through it will bring you alot of expirience

some of my funnest days riding have been on a 125 bigger bikes are more fun don't get me wrong, but when your learning you can't go wrong
Old 23-07-2009, 12:11 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

there is alot i'v missed but there is soo much to say like a leather jacket atleast is a must
Old 23-07-2009, 05:40 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

you can see well over 100mpg on a cbf125

i'd recommend some proper bike jeans with kevlar lining. i have 3 pairs of hood jeans and really rate them, although i have not, and do not wish to, test their crash worthiness.

if you're thinking of it, just do it. you won't regret it. you can't really lose money on a cbf either.
Old 23-07-2009, 05:43 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have to agree with burnzy, appart from 1 thing, aprillia rs 125's are wank, cagiva mito's are where its at, seriously. But neither for commuting.
Old 23-07-2009, 05:47 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i'd recommend some proper bike jeans with kevlar lining. i have 3 pairs of hood jeans and really rate them, although i have not, and do not wish to, test their crash worthiness.
Bang on mate, i've got a couple of pairs of scratchers and there ace and a couple of dainese TEXTILE jackets cant go wrong. Fuck leather.
Old 23-07-2009, 08:14 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't do it for cost reasons, adding in all the cost of bike insurance running costs servicing etc will add up.
Any decent 4 stroke single of this size ridden gently can easily see 120-140 mpg, I never ever got less than 80mpg despite ragging the arse of it 100% of the time.
Chain/sprocket wear will be much heavier on a 4 stroke single due to the firing stroke it stretches chains with constant snatch, not that you'll notice any imediate difference riding it.
Make sure you get some decent steel kickplate boots for foot protection, the misting is easily cured for FREE, cut a potato in half and rub on the inside of the visor, then leave to dry(10 minutes) and buff off, or use washing up liquid neat and rubbed in small circles then buff off when dry.
This will last a few weeks at a time, I was out in all weathers, inc going on grass verges to get up some hills in Norfolk due to road being too icy, just sat there spinning otherwise.
I've no doubt the CBF is a good bike, but you may prefer the riding position of a different bike, always prefered trailys ,myself, used to regular do thetford - coventry runs and thetford dover runs.
On mine every 4000 miles a front tyre, every 2500 miles rear tyre, every 2500 miles new chain/sprockets, but used no oil, ate brake shoes like they were going out of fashion, but did have XR200 engine in it!!
tabetha