General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

External wastegate plumbing

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Shonky
V6 Ka of Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External wastegate plumbing

How do I plumb in the boost controller to the wastegate? There are two nipples on the one I have, do I blank the side one and put the controller in the top one?!

Usually you get a vacuum from the plenum but due to where the turbo is located I'd rather not, can I simply take a feed from the air pipe between the filter and the turbo?

I haven't got the nipples with the external wastegate, they're 10mm with a really fine thread, can I get them anywhere or shall I try a hydraulic/hose place?

Cheers
Old 13-07-2009, 01:46 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

the connection on the side is where your line from your inlet manifold would go!
no you cant take a conection off from the air filter to turbo, as this piping doesnt change with boost!

you are wrong to call it a vacuum line, really its a manifold reference pressure line, as it changes from a vacuum to a positive pressure!

what you can do with the nipple ontop is plumb a air pressure regulator into this line, and by varying the air pressure, you effectively vary preload of the wastegate! so it can control boost! quite accurately aswell

im sure you'll be able to find you a suppler of nipples
Old 13-07-2009, 04:01 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask Paul Hills
Old 13-07-2009, 05:00 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the one on the side needs your boost control plumed to it, we use air injectors, it takes a feed from the compressor housing to the air injector then air is "injected" to the bottom of the waste gate, the spring holds it shut so you dont have to have any pressure on top of the wastegate,

you can use twin air injectors for example and put on set underneath the wastegate and one set on top for perfect boost control

as per this

this probalbly isnt the cheapest route, and you do need a ecu compatable but i would say its one of the most accurate