General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

calling you suspension type know it alls out there

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default calling you suspension type know it alls out there

my mk3 mondeo has arb drop links and they are a certain length at the front

the alloy ones i've purchased don't seem to be as long

what, generally speaking, would be the disadvantages of running 15mm shorter drop links other than the fact that the arb would be sitting at a different angle? but remembering that if i lower the car by 15mm the arb might also be sitting at the same angle in the bushes?

i tell you why, because ever since they've been fitted, and i know that the arb bushes are shot to shit, there is a clonking from the suspension every time i go round a corner and hit a bump

could this just be bushes playing up after having the new drop links fitted (the one pones were worn out, totally shot to bits)?

and i've also felt that the steering doesn't feel as good at higher motorway type speeds as it used to do, could be all in the mind but i've had the car for nearly 3 years now so i know how it drives and handles

again, is this a bush problem or is it the fact that the arb links are shorter?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

it in theory shouldn't make a difference cos it will just hold the bar higher if they where different lengths between them then maybe, they might be shorter to cure any bottoming out issues on the lower arm if you was to lower it alot.

tbh it does sound like it's your ARB bushes cashing the knock, but the high speed stability could be the tracking, top mounts (if ARB bushes have gone your top mounts could also be shot), or lower arms, even a bad shock will cause this.

i no cos i had to replace all of the above to stop my esco being twitchy and unstable, only to have some cunt rear end me a week later and write my car off
Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 PM
dojj

everything on the car is new, struts, springs, top mounts, wishbones and now the drop links so the only thing left is the arb bushes

what concerns me is the knock, the drop links don't know on anything as far as i can see so i'm concerend that there would be such a knock coming from jus the bushes being shot, on both sides
Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Hhmmm! well your instability could quite possibly be your tracking after all your new parts where fitted it's more than likely knocked it out.

and the knock well ARB bushes are known to make a knock when worn out, if they have actually disintegrated to nothing then yes they could quite possible make a loud bang as you turn, as the bar hits either the subframe or the bush cap, otherwise it could be your exhaust maybe?, or are you sure it's from the front cos sometimes the sound can carry from the rear, just making sure thats all, it wouldn't hurt to change your ARB bushes esp if you no they are shot hopefully it'll cure the prob for you.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:42 PM
dojj

the arb drop links are just bolted in to connect teh arb to the strut, so nothing changes in the geometry tracking wise

the only problem is that i'm not sure how big the bushes i need to fit are as no one does poly versions of them, ok, flo-flex do but i'm not really into a cheap thing if i need to do it year after year as the subframe looks like it needs to be droped to get the arb bush bolts out, that's not soemthign i really want to do

blody cars, i wonder if i'll get £2k of a new mondeo
Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 PM
burnzy
burnzy

well if they where like mine i managed to get the front bolts out and then loosen the rear bolts as much as i could the bent the cap about to get the new bushes in, wouldn't advise it but i managed it, plus it was a pain in the arse with the crowbar trying to push the bush cap into the right position

and yes i no the ARB links won't knock the geometry out but new shock and springs usually will cos the car will sit at a different hight, so will pot holes and so on if it hasn't been done in a while i'd go to have it done it'll feel so much better ,

i used to do all the geoms at work and any suspension work used to have to be followed by a geom and you would be surprised even if the car felt ok to drive, the tracking could be way out, i always found bad stability to be tracking if suspension was in good condition ,

plus your car will feel like new after a 4 wheel alignment you'll be suprised how much they can wander out of track after a time, esp if you let the wife curb crawl in it

and i just don't get this scrappage sceme i mean you loose so much money when you drive that new car off the forourt whats the point, and was it true they bumped the prices up with the scheme
Old 06-07-2009, 12:14 AM
dojj

4 wheel alignment tends to be a service item on the mondeo, every 6 months or so it costs me £55 or so to get it done as it's slowly going out of line so it's not the geometry
Old 06-07-2009, 12:21 AM
burnzy
burnzy

ok you win just your ARB bushes then

hey you can't say i didn't try atleast
Old 06-07-2009, 12:41 PM
dojj

but it's a lot of knocking for JUST bushes though

it's like i've got a family of elves under the wheels tappity tapping away on little anvils and forges making shoes and shit
Old 06-07-2009, 12:49 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Do they make size 12's they could come in useful, do they need feeding much too

serious note if you have changed nearly all your suspension parts and your ARB bushes are left then it would be the most suspect part esp if you no they are really shot, could also be an exhaust rattle maybe, but the ARB is always in play and will hardly sit still whilst moving so possible your elves left because the noise got too much for them
Old 06-07-2009, 12:51 PM
dojj

time for a new post me thinks.............to the dojjcave to think up some new plans
Old 06-07-2009, 12:58 PM
burnzy
burnzy

make sure you cape is clean and ironed you don't want the papers saying your a scruffy batman