General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

WTF?!?! I need a visa to travel to the US?! Is that right!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF?!?! I need a visa to travel to the US?! Is that right!!!

Off the London US Embasy website as the Mrs was thinking of us traveling to florida in september for our summer holiday.

Some travelers may not be eligible to enter the United States visa free under the VWP. These include people who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, those with criminal records, (the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law), certain serious communicable illnesses, those who have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed on the VWP. Such travelers must apply for special restricted visas. If they attempt to travel without a visa, they may be refused entry into the United States.
A couple of years back I was arrested because of a bitch lying ex who tried to get me into trouble with the law... long story and a couple of you may know it.

Needless to say, I was held in custody and released once they had worked out she was lying.

But this means, at one point, I was actually arrested, while no charges resulted from that arrest....

But this means I now have to get a visa?

Surely this can't be right.

Has anyone traveled to the US in the same situation? What was the score?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:45 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I travellled with no visa and have been arrested before
Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 PM
yes that is my head

we had to fill in one on the plain, ws just a small card, been arrested many a time but just said i hadnt
Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I thought maybe could get away with the VWP which is the thing you fill out. But what if a customs official pulls us over and runs some checks, Id be told to get back on the next flight home wouldn't I?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 666
we had to fill in one on the plain, ws just a small card, been arrested many a time but just said i hadnt
The green visa waiver thing on the plane has been done away with - you now need to inform the US authorities that you plan to visit at least three days in advance.

Never done it, so don't know how detailed it is but the link is on the US Embassy website.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
The green visa waiver thing on the plane has been done away with - you now need to inform the US authorities that you plan to visit at least three days in advance.

Never done it, so don't know how detailed it is but the link is on the US Embassy website.
According to the embasy site they still do that for British Citizens. That's the VWP, but only certain carriers authorized can do it.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

These include people who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction
That's plain bonkers! Proper totalitarian shit going on there!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:11 AM
chettle
Regular Contributor

you dont need a visa as such, its this...

http://www.esta.us/esta.html?gclid=C...Fd0B4wod6zhdEg

aslong as you fill it out before you get to the airport, i believe you are ok (maybe able to do it on the plane, but not sure)