General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Piranha fish

Search this Thread

Old 13-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Piranha fish

Hi all,

I'm shortly going to make a start on redecorating my house so after seeing my mates red bellied piranhas, I thought I would get some for my living room once it's done.

My question is what are they like to keep and look after? I've heard mixed opinions on this, some say they are easy, some say they they're a pain in the arse.

Anybody got some or had experience with them?
Old 13-06-2009, 07:47 AM
G420 DEL
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a search on here there has been a few topics about them, but to sum up most of what ive read they dont do very much and make a mess at tea time.
Old 13-06-2009, 10:22 AM
turbo_3dr_tommy
Advanced PassionFord User

PM Fiddy_UK he has got some
Old 13-06-2009, 10:24 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fookin boring fish to keep in all honesty
Old 13-06-2009, 10:34 AM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

They're only a pain in the arse if you dip your bum in the tank.

Seriously though, I've seen some and they usually just stay stationery in the tank so not very exciting.
Old 13-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There easy to look after mate, no more trouble than normal tropical fish. ive had mine a few month now, and have had no problems. they eat pretty much anything, i feed them frozen fish which i get from my local aquatics shop, also mince, tuna, prawns etc, and once a month i buy a couple of goldfish to put in to keep there predatorial instinct intact. people say they are boring, but so are most fish tbh, but in fairness, they dont do much, they are a good topic of conversation when people come round though as most people take an interest when they see them. ive got five, i started with two smaller ones about four inch, then bought another three that are about seven inches. as long as you keep your water temperature around 25, keep your water clean, and keep them well fed, you shouldnt have many problems.

Mine

Old 13-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Ive just got a red devil for my smaller tank aswel, there also an aggressive fish. the thing with red devils is they, they really need to be on there own as they have been known to knack other red devils in with them, its not always the case, but it does happen. thats why mine is on his own, he had knacked a few red devils he was in with, and also three oscars that were almost twice his size, very cool fish though, mine is very active, as soon as i go near the tank he comes over to see me, follows me when i move, and will also come to the top of the tank at feeding time with his mouth open lol

Mine

Old 13-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Cheers for the replys people!

I just love the look of them! LOL!

Just think they look mean!
Old 13-06-2009, 02:33 PM
jamieRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

so are they like proper piranhas then?if you stuck your finger in the tank,could they have it off??
how much are these badboys then?
Old 13-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by jamieRST
so are they like proper piranhas then?if you stuck your finger in the tank,could they have it off??
how much are these badboys then?
Yes mate, proper ones lol, and if they wanted to, they could have my fingers down to the bone. ive had my hand in the tank a good few times when they have knocked the heater off, or moved the filter swimming into it, and they dont bother, i feed them plenty though, wouldnt be so keen to put my hand in if they hadnt been fed for a while after seeing what they do to a goldfish. price depends on size mate, babys are about Ł6 each from an aquatics shop. i got my three big ones quite cheap, got all three for Ł50, paid Ł40 for the two smaller ones, but that was from my local aquatics shop. so on average for four inch, about Ł20 each in the shop, i would have paid about Ł25+ per fish for my seven inch ones, but i didnt buy them in the shop, i bought them private, and as i said, i got all three for Ł50.
Old 13-06-2009, 03:51 PM
jamieRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

mite have to look into getting me some of them lol,cheers for the info m8