General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Aeroquip help required

Search this Thread

Old 20-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeroquip help required

Im planning on making my fuel hoses this weekend so had a quick practice today! frayed metal everywhere

I wrapped electrical tape around before cutting but made a right mess, whats the best method to use? (its -6 hose)

Also do i need some aluminium spanners for fitting connectors? and any tips for stress free fitting?
Old 20-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Its Dave
Advanced PassionFord User

Used a long metal saw with masking tape, also did use a air saw as well

As for the fitting you can use special spanners but the kit about £200 so what i did is wrap the connectors with electrical tape

Also when but then ends on use some oil or wd that will help, when they are done make sure you clean out the hose, run under a tap that will make sure there is nothing in the hose

Cheers
Old 20-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a thin cutting disc in a grinder and its straight through.

Just remember to put that threaded collar on before you fit the olive

Or its re-cut time
Old 20-05-2009, 09:41 PM
S1

when i did mine i wrapped the ends with masking tape. I then cut through using a cutting disk in an angle grinder. This gives you a nice finish to the end plus you can remove any stragglers easy.

As for the spanners I used normal spanners but wrapped the spanners in masking tape as well as the fittings.

when pushing the fittings on you should push the fitting onto the pipe with a clockwise motion, keep turning the same way. Get the pipe so it butts right up to the inside of the fitting. To screw the final bit in, put the pipe and push on fitting in a vice, push the final bit in whilst turning to engage the thread. it should screw ikn easily, if it feels tight stop as you're probably cross-threading it.
Old 20-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

cheers guys
ive got all the bits coming from think auto! am i right in thinking these are goodridge and as these are not teflon lined i wont have olives to worry about?
Old 20-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i wrapped the hose in masking tape, and used a chisel on some alloy to cut the hose, just make sure you get it right first time lol
Old 21-05-2009, 12:00 AM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by massive
cheers guys
ive got all the bits coming from think auto! am i right in thinking these are goodridge and as these are not teflon lined i wont have olives to worry about?
You are, there's no seperate olive with the standard goodrich hose mate, just a two part fitting
Old 21-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

that makes i bit easier then, do i screw the union nut onto the hose or does it just push on?
Old 21-05-2009, 12:19 AM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

The union nut just pushes on first, they're normally tight as a twat but they do go on with a bit of persuasion lol. If you struggle with it you can clamp it in a vice so it's easier to push against it, just go careful not to mark the quip as it's pretty soft!
Old 21-05-2009, 06:52 AM
S1

I use a couple of bits of aluminium in the jaws of the vice, also covered in masking tape. The unions i used were from pace products and the bit that grips on the hose is actually kind of threaded. Stick the union in the vice, push the hose in and twist it clockwise at the same time. Keep pushing and turning and it should go in with no problems.

When you've cut the pipe square, hold the pipe at 45 degress to the face of the grinder and just lightly tidy it up, as if you were de-burring the corner. it helsp to tidy up any stragglers. When i did my firdt batch i used a hacksaw to cut the hose and it was a nightmare to get into the union. Using a grinder I found it much easier and the finished articles were spot-on.
Old 21-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Bomber
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Wrap the hose in masking tape - mark where you need to cut it on the tape. Use a new junior hacksaw blade and cut. I find it best to only apply light force when cutting through, but keep the action of cutting fast.

When it's cut, put a single piece of electrical tape over the end and try to make it 'overlap' the newly cut edge, this then minimises any stray wires not going into the fitting.

Oh and if you are doing a lot of aeroquip - buy the plastic vice jaws from speedflow.co.uk to stick in your vice! (they are only 10 pound).
Old 21-05-2009, 11:06 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

http://www.classicperform.com/Instru...F/Aeroquip.pdf

Old 23-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

Default update with pics

right ive managed to cut the hose with a disc cutter which worked really well, now im having trouble with the fittings.

This is my attempt eith a staight -6, i pussed the union right on till it butted up against the hose then screwed the fitting down! is this the right way to do it? and should i screw it right down till it touches sleave/union because it was quite tight?

or is this ok?

also ive been sent a speedflow 90degree fitting which is different to the others, i tried fitting this the same way but after pushing the union right on like before i had no chance of starting the fitting

any help would be great as i dont want to do this wrong or have to replace them

Last edited by Nath2wd; 23-05-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 23-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

anyone??
Old 23-05-2009, 09:19 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

1st pic looks fine mate, if it's getting tight you shouldn't have to do it up till they're touching....personally i've only ever fitted goodrich fittings so not too sure about the 2nd one, don't see why it would be any different to fit though?
Old 23-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by rstdave
1st pic looks fine mate, if it's getting tight you shouldn't have to do it up till they're touching....personally i've only ever fitted goodrich fittings so not too sure about the 2nd one, don't see why it would be any different to fit though?
thanks, all the fitting guides ive found say do it up till it bottoms out but i think i'll strip the threads if i do it any more

and the 90 degree one i cant see how it will work, if i push the hose right in to the union nut the fitting gets no where near the catching the threads
Old 23-05-2009, 09:36 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Mmm sounds a bit odd...might be worth a call to where you got them?? Only rason i said about not bottominh out the threads is that it's what i was told at the place i buy all my aeroquip from....and when i've done mine i've never needed to bottom them out....they don't generally leak although in all honesty i had a couple of mine leak when i first plumbed my fuel system in (which may have been down to me not doing the mup as tight as i could)?!! but now on the fuel lines i use ptfe tape round the threads and never had one leak since!
Old 23-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

im confusssed now, wish i hadn't started this and its not like its cheap!
thanks for your help any way
Old 23-05-2009, 09:48 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

There's not too much to be confused about....you've done them right by the look of it mate so don't worry!! I just wrapped some ptfe tape round the threads on mine, but i'm sure it's not really necessary, i was probably being overly cautious!
Old 23-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

just been looking on aeroquip page and the 90 degree one ive been supplied is the the type that needs an olive??
Old 23-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

Old 23-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Dan@Rapid-Ford
PassionFord Post Troll

You don't need an olive for that fitting. The second fitting is actually better than the first one your pictured as its a cutter thread.

You fit it exactly the same as the first one but you will have to push it on harder to start the thread as the tube has to start downt he rubber hose. Then screw it down till one turn from the bottom.

IIRC its anti clockwise for the hose until its at the bottom of the thread then clockwise the fitting into it.

I put a little copperslip on thread just in case for removal, and finally mark the hose after you have screwed it into the first fittting just in case it backs out of the collar.

HTH
Dan
Old 23-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

thanks mate thats cleared it up for me, the first one i fitted is that ok or should the fitting do right up (it was very tight)
Old 23-05-2009, 11:54 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Lol don't know why i bothered repylying!
Old 24-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by rstdave
Lol don't know why i bothered repylying!

sorry mate i did see what u said but you also said they leaked and after spending a year painting the underneath of my car if i had fuel spraying around id be gutted
thanks for the help though just wanted to make sure
Old 24-05-2009, 08:30 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

You obviously didn't read the link I put up for you either!
Old 24-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Nath2wd
Part of the Furniture

yes i did read the link you put up but the instructions are for teflon hose!