General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mobiles & driving very bad idea i know trust me

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Default mobiles & driving very bad idea i know trust me

right have been toying whether to post this or not for some time now but the conclusion i came to is if it helps to stop someone else get hurt or killed then i shall continue,

some weeks ago my wife came home from a night shift on her theatre ward and told me about a single car rta involving a guy that was on his phone when he went off the road,that occured on a stretch of road between ripon and harrogate,(it is a bit of an accident black spot),which came in as she went on shift,now normally she wouldnt say anything about her work but in this case as the injuries were so unusual she told me about them.

now two weeks ago i got a call from a plumber mate of mine asking me to call in on a job to fix a heating systems electrical fault,saying the customer wouldnt be in that afternoon cos her son was in a coma cos of a car accident & she was going to go see him that afternoon,he described his injuries (fully dislocated leg,dislocated head!!!!,and many maore internal ones),as she was in a situation i said i would go straight away only to then be told it was my aunt who i dont see that much of and her son who i knocked about with quite a bit with when we were younger & i havent seen for 10 years or so.
if there is a god he wants to reavaluate his methods as she has had far too much heartbreak in the past few years.

to say i was shocked is an understatement,admittedly i did used to use my phone when i drove but have not for a good year or so and deffinately do not now.

as it does not look good for him i just hope someone out there reads this and thinks twice about using a moblie on the move.

good luck David.

D.

Last edited by Cragrat; 03-05-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Was he hit by a phone using driver or was he using a phone himself?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Originally Posted by focusv8
Was he hit by a phone using driver or was he using a phone himself?

sorry he was using his phone at the time no-one else involved

so you could say its his own fault but he still has two kids waiting for him at home!!!

D.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Made sense until i got to the third paragraph, maybe im not awake properly yet
Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Originally Posted by BM08
Made sense until i got to the third paragraph, maybe im not awake properly yet

which part?

was making reference to it being a coincidence & the fact that that he was my cousin & i got to hear about it indirectly from a friend,not that i am sayin she should have rung me herself as she has enuf on her plate

just how things are with family i spose!

D.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The story doesn't make sense if you re-read it. There is no reference to anyone driving whilst using their phone and we don't really therefore understand it. Appreciate it sounds like a very bad situation but if you quickly re-read it and edit it to make it clear what actually happened then perhaps people can learn frm it. I currently don't know if a guy was driving and using his phone and hit someone and they are the 1 hurt? Or if the driver was hurt or what.

RW
Old 03-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

right have edited it slightly,does it now make more sense ?

D.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so he came off the road and put himself in a coma ?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
so he came off the road and put himself in a coma ?

due to the fact his car went sideways off the road his airbag went off but didnt help as his head hit the side of the car dislocating it ie all that held it on was the skin and and muscle

D.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

blimey
Old 03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

That's not good Daz, I hope everything works out for the best.

I think everyone's guilty of being distracted by something when driving, sadly it's human nature. There but for the grace of God, go I.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Cragrat
right have edited it slightly,does it now make more sense ?

D.
Yes it does thanks. That is a pretty nasty story.

RW
Old 03-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Originally Posted by -MAL-
That's not good Daz, I hope everything works out for the best.

I think everyone's guilty of being distracted by something when driving, sadly it's human nature. There but for the grace of God, go I.

thats true mal we all are in one way or another be it phone,2-way radio (taxis & police included i might add),or smoking etc!!

i have made a big effort to completely ignore my phone while driving,a lot easier if apprentice answers phone for me tho

again apologies if my post was missing certain details but i`m not used to posting such things just sarcastic comments on a whole,wasnt gonna post it to start with but like i say if one person reads it and thinks twice then my ramblings will be worth it.

D.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:37 PM
dakar
Advanced PassionFord User

Jesus thats horrific.Hope your cousin makes a full recovery mate
Old 03-05-2009, 03:38 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

a dislocated head? ive never heard of that before.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

How do they know it was the phone? Hope he gets better soon.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

unfortunately full recovery is doubtfull but you never know,dont want my aunt to go to another funeral

dislocated head - i`m sure there is a medical term for it but that is basically what happens

benni - he was on the phone arguing with his kids mum when he crashed,i fear she heard it all............
Old 06-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

just a little update if anyone would like to know.

been to see him & took his mum (she`s a bit of a rock dont know how shes holding it together,has been to see him every day!),he`s now out of his coma but was starved of oxygen after the crash so is not responding to anyone,i fear he not gonna get any better at all....

it was a bit surreal not nice at all but he is made of strong stuff,can only hope for the best.

D.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

I hope he makes a full recovery, sounds like hes in a pretty bad way, i know im guilty of texting, takeing calls and anything else i can do while im driving, i suppose people just think 'wont happen to me, just other people'. as said, hope he comes out of it all 110%.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

just a little update that i thought i might share with pf

well its been 3 months since his accident,& hes made improvements
it was evident a month ago he knew who was in the ward with him & could talk with the aid of a valve in his trechea tube (though hard to understand,the ones beginning with `F` were easy )

latest is that he can move his index finger & thumb,& just as a surprise he moved his arm (slowly) up to his chest from his side 1/2 way thru visit(staff said no improvement with him on arrival)

the staff say he will go probably to chapel allerton as orriginally sheffielf was his destination but he seems to be making good progress so he wont be going there

still dont know how my aunty does it she is very ill herself & needs an operation on her leg but still goes to see him every day so keeps cancelling appointments

anyway thanks for taking time to read this,looks like human nature & the desire to survive & recover is very evident in my cousin

oh & it turns out now there was another car involved so things are probly gonna get complicated legally!!

Last edited by Cragrat; 04-07-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

Never ceases to amaze me to see so many people still on their mobiles when driving - the worst are the texters as you can see them looking into their laps and not just for a split second, even 'touch' texting takes your mind off

Z
Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 AM
neil andeRSon
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

glad to hear you cousin is getting better..

i'm alway's amazed at how many folk i see driving around with the phone glued to there ear! maybe they should all read this thread.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Originally Posted by cossie690
glad to hear you cousin is getting better..

i'm alway's amazed at how many folk i see driving around with the phone glued to there ear! maybe they should all read this thread.

yup a handsfree kit is a lot cheaper than a wheel chair.....
Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I used to use my phone when i drove but i dont bother now cause its just not worth it.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

cragrat did you find out how it happened or is it still a grey area with how your cousin is.

any way all the best and hope he carry's on his road to recovery.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i put the bluetooth on, leave the phone in my pocket and press the button to answer the calls on the dash

if not, i tend not to answer the phone if it's ringing

although if i'm stuck in traffic or the like, i do have a look to see who's calling me, but it's not really worth the risk now, if you crash you get fucked in some way or another plus you get points

hope your cousin gets better
Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Ive got a wire which goes in the back of my radio which i plug into my phone so that i can play my music off my phone through the car speakers,i can also use it as a hands free kit cause when people ring me i can here them through the car radio.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:12 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
Ive got a wire which goes in the back of my radio which i plug into my phone so that i can play my music off my phone through the car speakers,i can also use it as a hands free kit cause when people ring me i can here them through the car radio.
+1 i'v the n95 and it has a 3.5mm jack, but my courtesy car doesn't have it and i'v been a bit lost i'm using CD's again and thats a pain too, i do alot of driving and usually get enough tunes on my phone to keep me going but now i just have to listen to the CD repeat itself
Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His recovery will depend on the extent if any of his brain damage, ie how long without oxygen, plus any other damage.
When you come out of a coma you "revert" to age 0, then progress to the present day, some don't progress and stop at a much lower age, this can take days or years, but his movements are encouraging.
I only have a moby for emergency, not even £5 a year does it cost, I make the odd call whilst parked etc(about twice a year!!) just so it doesn't get disconnected.
I'm amazed at the peeps I see with phones glued to their ear, but don't thin anything less than a complete ban of all communication on phone whilst travelling will stop them.
tabetha
Old 06-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
+1 i'v the n95 and it has a 3.5mm jack, but my courtesy car doesn't have it and i'v been a bit lost i'm using CD's again and thats a pain too, i do alot of driving and usually get enough tunes on my phone to keep me going but now i just have to listen to the CD repeat itself
Yeh my phone is the Nokia N95(the old silver one)
Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Nasty

I had a head on about 18 months ago due to the other driver being on the phone!!

No need is there.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good progress considering the injuries, hope that continues for him and his familys sake... also could be worth talking to your aunt, cause if she ends up in hospital (or worse) because she's not taken care of herself then he's gonna feel pretty shitty about it, so she needs to keep up appointments to sort herself out as well as visiting your cousin.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 06-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Originally Posted by tabetha
His recovery will depend on the extent if any of his brain damage, ie how long without oxygen, plus any other damage.
When you come out of a coma you "revert" to age 0, then progress to the present day, some don't progress and stop at a much lower age, this can take days or years, but his movements are encouraging.
I only have a moby for emergency, not even £5 a year does it cost, I make the odd call whilst parked etc(about twice a year!!) just so it doesn't get disconnected.
I'm amazed at the peeps I see with phones glued to their ear, but don't thin anything less than a complete ban of all communication on phone whilst travelling will stop them.
tabetha
very true i see it all the time,mostlt i might add people i luxury motors that obviousley could quite easily afford a handsfree kit

Originally Posted by AlexF
Nasty

I had a head on about 18 months ago due to the other driver being on the phone!!

No need is there.
nope!

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Good progress considering the injuries, hope that continues for him and his familys sake... also could be worth talking to your aunt, cause if she ends up in hospital (or worse) because she's not taken care of herself then he's gonna feel pretty shitty about it, so she needs to keep up appointments to sort herself out as well as visiting your cousin.

Cheers,
Grant
have tried mate all cares about is making sure he is ok