General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Advice required, Diesel or LPG van ???

Search this Thread

Old 29-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice required, Diesel or LPG van ???

Im doing alot of deliveries at the mo, im after a new van and i was wondering wether to go LPG.

What are pro's and con's of lpg? does anyone own one ???

im usually leaving the engine running outside peoples houses if that helps with the advice.

Thanks.
Old 30-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Barry_GTi
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my Rangey converted to LPG, it is better than petrol but not amazing. You use more LPG for same distance than petrol, but obviously it costs less.

I don't think I would do it again, although if a car was already converted I would consider it.

For me diesel is better because unless you can get a BIG LPG tank you will be filling up quite a lot.

Edit to say, I would rather have a V8 LPG engine in my Rangey than a diesel but for a work car diesel FTW!!
Old 30-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Madbradz

Diesel.....

I Had an LPG van.... Was cheaper to run... ish.....

But got really pissed off with having to fill it up so often! and find garages that sold it, And also when lpg goes wrong it goes very wrong! Mine needed new injectors and a service £600.....

Adam
Old 30-04-2009, 11:18 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

LPG is massive down here in Oz and looks to be readilly available in NZ with Barry above.

I work for the largest distributors of LPG in Australia and we are visiting some service stations up to 3 times a day. The Government also does rebates on LPG installs here which helps. Having been out of the UK for 5 years now, I am not sure on availability but LPG is rated very highly here. Diesel prices here are more stagnant than Petrol so while petrol fluctuates, Diesel always stays a bit higher.

In Oz, LPG would be a no brainer with rebates and price per litre but not sure if that helps with the UK.
Old 30-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

i saw the gas for sale locally at 49p per litre, petrol is 93p per litre, diesel is 102p per litre.

So an lpg van drives just the same as a petrol van but when lpg goes wrong, it really goes wrong!

im not an eco mentalist, but what sort of co2 does an lpg/petrol engine produce when running on lpg ??? is it much lower, or the same ???
Old 30-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Barry_GTi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saff - You are right, with the rebates you guys get it is a no brainer. It's plenty available here too yes.

Rich - Don't listen to anyone who tells you it runs the same mileage as petrol, there is less energy in the same quantity of LPG to Petrol so simply doesn't make the same power. Really to get the best out of LPG you would run hi compression but that's not possible on a dual fuel car. My Rangey runs fine on LPG under normal driving, but if you try and screw the balls off it(like rev it past 5000rpm) it dies off slightly, where as on petrol it revs round to 6000rpm easy. It's not an issue to me, I tend to overtake using the torque rather than revs anyway. Whenever I have to run petrol I notice the difference right away though.

LPG is much better than petrol in an environmental stand point though, but have a look on Google I think diesel is better I seem to remember.