General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Active diffs and fiddle brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 24-04-2009, 03:22 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active diffs and fiddle brakes???

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how the cosworth family of active diffs work? I know the theory behind the active diff principle....I'm interested to know weither the diff can simply be set to open or locked with different electrical signals.

I am looking into the feasability of putting an active diff in my escos with a fiddle brake setup (brake each rear wheel independantly for superb tight coourse handling) but obviously this could only be done with an open diff or one that I could make open using some kind of control circuitry whils the fiddle brakes were being applied.

Cheers
Dan
Old 24-04-2009, 03:46 PM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The active diffs work on a PWM signal from the ecu, they are direct acting hydraulic valves with the capability of opening very quickly....the front active diff works by being free with no pressure applied, with slip limited as pressure is applied, the centre, simply speaking gives RWD with no pressure varying to full split with pressure applied....we run 15 bar max to the centre and 20 max to the front.....
Old 24-04-2009, 03:54 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

So you need some kind of hydraulic pump assembly engine side I take it.

Might not work for what I am thinking....sure i've seen basically an electronic locking diff in the past somewhere....going to bug me now till I find it.

Thanks for the info

Dan
Old 24-04-2009, 04:03 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

I found it! what I was looking for and what started me thinking about fiddle brakes....

http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/...-LOCKER/Detail

Easily controlled by something like SM4 management using the traction control to detect slippage of the wheels...or simple electronic circuitry to control it....doesnt have to be as fancy as the hydraulic setups sound.

Cheers
Dan
Old 24-04-2009, 05:34 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

are you thinking of active rear ?
the way the ford family of 4wd cars turns makes a massive differance as to wether the center diff is locked or open, rather than semi open.
Old 24-04-2009, 05:56 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

yeah only rear, kind of shying off the idea now though as it's be a lot of work for little gain looking at the bigger picture. Not got the money for the controllers though....I am set on using the 8.8 ford diff so if at a later date I decide to use a electric locker I can experiment with the fiddle brakes then.

Cheers
Dan