General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Gentlemans agreement....... Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 20-04-2009, 07:42 PM
bigpower
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gentlemans agreement....... Your thoughts?

Hi Guys,
Just thought i'd post a prediciment and see your thought!

I aint naming names, but im sure those involved will know who they are.......

A good mate recently bought a very nice specc'd car and was then offered an even better one.

He agree'd terms with the guy selling the better specc'd one ( lets call that car B and his own car A )

The owner selling car ''B'' agreed to sell him the car as long as my mate didnt sell it on and kept it for him self or broke it. he agree'd to this and a deal was struck!!!! Happy days all round....

My mate then sold Car ''A'' to create room for the new purchase & ordered himself some new wheels for the new arrival.

Today he found out that the car has been sold to a higher bidder and wasnt really informed? . I THOUGHT A GENTLEMANS AGREEMENT WAS HONOURABLE? or is it just we all shaft each other and gazump each other like the property game???

Car ''A'' is ready to go to a new home tomorrow and my mate is still allowing this to happen as he is a man of his word!!

I'd just like your thoughts on this, as although im not involved, i just think it stinks!
Old 20-04-2009, 07:44 PM
GAZ W
PassionFord Post Troll

money talks mate
Old 20-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A gentlemans agreement lost me a special car last year

I'd even sent a 5% deposit over by paypal, rang up to confirm what time i was going over to collect so i could finalise insurance etc. to be told "sorry, someone came round with a grand more than we'd agreed so i sold it to them." and i had to chase the refund of my deposit!

Sadly gentlemans agreements are only as good as the people involved - plenty of people on here have been fantastic to deal with, others haven't.

Some you win, some you lose
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If that's the whole story, then it's out of order.

Kinda depends on how much B knew about what A was up to and how much more the bid was really!
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I secured my first house on a gentlemans agreement. I personally would always honour it, but not everybody would - as you know.
Old 20-04-2009, 07:47 PM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 178 Likes on 168 Posts

Seems strange that someone would sell a car on the basis that you wouldn't sell it on?
Old 20-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Captain500rs
Advanced PassionFord User

Its only words at the end of the day really. If the new owner wanted to sell the car on then thats up to them in my eyes its their car not the previous owners. Add to the fact its only a car. a material possesion

Last edited by Captain500rs; 20-04-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 20-04-2009, 07:48 PM
bigpower
PassionFord Post Troll

i'd always honour it too , thats why im annoyed and gutted for my mate!
Old 20-04-2009, 07:49 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

lifes a bitch but if your selling something, until the cash has been handed over,as far as im concerned its still for sale.
and if your selling something what would you do....sell it for the most you can get or lose possibly a fair bit of money because someone that could possible be a waster anyway had promised to buy it or sell it to the guy standing in front of you now with even more cash in his hand?
my loyalty belongs to my kids and keeping them fed and clothed is number 1.
Old 20-04-2009, 07:52 PM
bigpower
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by fuzzy
lifes a bitch but if your selling something, until the cash has been handed over,as far as im concerned its still for sale.
and if your selling something what would you do....sell it for the most you can get or lose possibly a fair bit of money because someone that could possible be a waster anyway had promised to buy it or sell it to the guy standing in front of you now with even more cash in his hand?
my loyalty belongs to my kids and keeping them fed and clothed is number 1.
Monies could have been sent, but they both trusted each other!!! Obviously ones a honourable guy and the other is out for what he can??

Im saying no more on this, as you know my thoughts!............
Old 20-04-2009, 07:52 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bit harsh like that happening but thats how it is nowadays,every1 for emselves and like said cash in the hand talks.
Old 20-04-2009, 07:53 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm guessing he knew the lad had sold his car to make way for the new purchase? If so then thats really harsh
Old 20-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Mark 3D

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it happened to me personally I'd be gutted!!
Old 20-04-2009, 07:54 PM
bigpower
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by xr_craig
I'm guessing he knew the lad had sold his car to make way for the new purchase? If so then thats really harsh

they did as far as im aware
Old 20-04-2009, 07:55 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

if the seller wasnt wanting cash up front i reckon he was hedging his bets and waiting for the other possible buyer to come up with an increased offer as his real first choice.
if your talking hundreds of quids more who here would honestly refuse that because of a 'gentlemans agreement'?

Last edited by fuzzy; 20-04-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 20-04-2009, 07:56 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Id honour a gentlemans agreement, others wouldnt.
Old 20-04-2009, 07:56 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if someone has said they will buy the car then you should honour that agreement

if it then turns sour then you can either blame one or the other and the 3rd party doesn't feel like they've nicked it from under someone else ose

unfortunatly, being a man of your word used to mean something back in the day, now it's virtually not worth the breath used to say "deal"

and i know someone who got a car for free on the basis that it wasn't broken, ok, so he sold it on and it's still not broken a few years later, but he kept his word and it's worth knowing to yourself that you aren't a cunt and, by assosiation, other people don't think you're a cunt either

a win win situation
Old 20-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Mark 3D

was your "mate" given the opportunity to match the new high bidders amount?
Old 20-04-2009, 07:58 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by B16 Will
Id honour a gentlemans agreement, others wouldnt.

me too

im quite a sucker for principles
Old 20-04-2009, 08:01 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Principles are a lost thing in todays world, very few of us have them any more

Mike
Old 20-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Right then

This deal was one i was involved with

As most of you know i bought Rainbirds old saff for a track car, I was very happy with the car and was going to keep it , BUT THEN i get a call from another fella asking me about his big spec escoos and would i be intrested in buying it to break
I decided to buy this car and keep it for myself and agrre to buy the car AT THE FULL ASKING PRICE , no chipping at all

I put the saff up for sale telling the owner of the escoss that i would only sell the saff to buy the escoss and asked him if he was 100% as i didnt want to sell the saff and get let down ( hence why i agreed the full asking price ) I was assured the deal was 100% and the car would be brought over as the seller was collecting his new car and i would meet him at his new cars location and pay him there so he could pay for his new car .

I then advertise the saff as 100% for sale and it sold and i agreed to deliver the car tommorrow ( i took a Ł500 deposit via c/card ) bare in mind the advert clearly stated the saff would only be for sale if i got the new escoss

Anyway i have been in contact with the escoss owner every day since agreeing the deal with no probs , yesterday he called me and asked if del at the weekend was ok and i said fine money ready

I get a call tonight simply saying he has sold the car to somone else ,
Why didnt he ring me and at least tell me he had been offered more money and see if i would match it , NO , nothing , just basicly i have shit out

Now i have the saff on my trailor ready for delivery 2moro and im fucking gutted as i now have no escoss coming
I rang the new owner of the saff and told hm the story and asked if he was desperate for the saff as i would like to keep it , HE wants it so i have to homour our agrrement ( please bare in mind i was offered more money for the saff by somone else but didnt take it as my word was it was sold ) i even rang the new owner asking him if he wanted to sell it for more money before he had even paid for it

Anyway , I am now having to sell the saff ( as i gave my word ) and yet the bloke selling me the escoss has shafted me

Im fucking gutted and wonder if im stupid for sticking to my word as people are happy to go back on theres regarding the deal to me .
Old 20-04-2009, 08:05 PM
woolford
Advanced PassionFord User

a mans word should be final..

I keep mine
Old 20-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Dan1281
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i put my capri on ebay about 18 months ago and really regretted it about half way through, the bloke who won it took about 3 weeks to collect and pay me but as much as i changed my mind and wanted to keep it i waited and he came and took it

i hate it when people bitch out on stuff, its happened to me a few times
Old 20-04-2009, 08:07 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well of course he should honour the deal if money has been agreed and both parties were happy at the time, but i certainly wouldnt trust that someone would hold a car for me based on a 'gentlemans agreement', unless its a good mate of course. A good mate would hold it regardless of what other offer came along afterwards. If its not a good mate, then you cant trust them to honour it of course so its still for sale until the cash changes hands really.

Im still wary of doing deals on cars even after ive left a deposit. It alwasy goes through my mind that the owner could get a better offer and give me my deposit back. So as far as im concerned, its not mine until im driving it home.

Its bad that things like this happen, but thats life, and greed/money is the more important to some, over trust/pride, and dont give a shit if their name is dirt afterwards, as long as they have a pocket full of extra cash.

Last edited by S1rst; 20-04-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 20-04-2009, 08:08 PM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

Gutted for you mate , very wrong that
Old 20-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by markyd3
was your "mate" given the opportunity to match the new high bidders amount?

No I wasnt , and to be honest i shouldnt have to anyway as the asking price was offered

and i was offered more money for the saff to gazump the new owner but wouldnt
Old 20-04-2009, 08:09 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats fucking naughty Paul, l understand why Phil wants it but i think if this is the full story then Justin is a little naughty on this

Mike
Old 20-04-2009, 08:10 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
Right then

This deal was one i was involved with

As most of you know i bought Rainbirds old saff for a track car, I was very happy with the car and was going to keep it , BUT THEN i get a call from another fella asking me about his big spec escoos and would i be intrested in buying it to break
I decided to buy this car and keep it for myself and agrre to buy the car AT THE FULL ASKING PRICE , no chipping at all

I put the saff up for sale telling the owner of the escoss that i would only sell the saff to buy the escoss and asked him if he was 100% as i didnt want to sell the saff and get let down ( hence why i agreed the full asking price ) I was assured the deal was 100% and the car would be brought over as the seller was collecting his new car and i would meet him at his new cars location and pay him there so he could pay for his new car .

I then advertise the saff as 100% for sale and it sold and i agreed to deliver the car tommorrow ( i took a Ł500 deposit via c/card ) bare in mind the advert clearly stated the saff would only be for sale if i got the new escoss

Anyway i have been in contact with the escoss owner every day since agreeing the deal with no probs , yesterday he called me and asked if del at the weekend was ok and i said fine money ready

I get a call tonight simply saying he has sold the car to somone else ,
Why didnt he ring me and at least tell me he had been offered more money and see if i would match it , NO , nothing , just basicly i have shit out

Now i have the saff on my trailor ready for delivery 2moro and im fucking gutted as i now have no escoss coming
I rang the new owner of the saff and told hm the story and asked if he was desperate for the saff as i would like to keep it , HE wants it so i have to homour our agrrement ( please bare in mind i was offered more money for the saff by somone else but didnt take it as my word was it was sold ) i even rang the new owner asking him if he wanted to sell it for more money before he had even paid for it

Anyway , I am now having to sell the saff ( as i gave my word ) and yet the bloke selling me the escoss has shafted me

Im fucking gutted and wonder if im stupid for sticking to my word as people are happy to go back on theres regarding the deal to me .
you might be gutted but at least your not a cunt
Old 20-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by S1rst
Well of course he should honour the deal, but i certainly wouldnt trust that someone would hold a car for me based on a 'gentlemans agreement', unless its a good mate of course. A good mate would hold it regardless of what other offer came along afterwards. If its not a good mate, then you cant trust them to honour it of course so its still for sale until the cash changes hands really.

Im still wary of doing deals on cars even after ive left a deposit. It alwasy goes through my mind that the owner could get a better offer and give me my deposit back. So as far as im concerned, its not mine until im driving it home.

Its bad that things like this happen, but thats life, and greed/money is the more important to some, over trust/pride, and dont give a shit if their name is dirt afterwards, as long as they have a pocket full of extra cash.
My word was good enough for the escoss seller tho as i bought the saff from his best mate so he knew i was good as my word
Old 20-04-2009, 08:12 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is their any bitterness left over from the rs500 deal you guys were on about... just a thought

Mike
Old 20-04-2009, 08:12 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i always stick to a deal.

i sold a 3 door a couple of year back to someone who left a small deposit on it.my mate wanted to buy it and offered me Ł500 more.i said i couldnt,even though he was a very good mate,then he offered me Ł700 more-i still said no.

the guy came to collect it and my mate turned up and offered him Ł700 more..................and he sold it to him before it even left my unit!
Old 20-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by MikeR
Thats fucking naughty Paul, l understand why Phil wants it but i think if this is the full story then Justin is a little naughty on this

Mike

RThis is the true story mate

1, I agreed to buy at the full asking price

2, I agreed where and when to pay

3, I was not given the chance to match the higher offer ( not that i should have to as the deal was done )

4, The higher bidder knew i was buying the car and knew i had sold the saff to get it

Old 20-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Mark 3D

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
No I wasnt , and to be honest i shouldnt have to anyway as the asking price was offered

and i was offered more money for the saff to gazump the new owner but wouldnt
Sorry Paul, didnt realise we were talking about you.... but that makes it even more out of order that you werent even given the opportunity to match the higher offer.. Im not condoning that as you had an agreement but you should have at least been given the chance!!

As for your Saff... I have to say that you have stated all along that its only for sale if the "new" car arrived, it didnt, so i would say you are perfectly entitled to now keep the saff if you wish... its not as if you are selling the saff on to a higher bidder!!

Its still your car m8 and up to you what you do with it
Old 20-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Umi

i say you go to the mans house who was selling the escos and vandalise it show him how much your car meant to you and how he made you suffer.
Old 20-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It just makes you and your company look better, Paul (and Jay!). Although you might not see it like that just now.

Last edited by Stoo; 20-04-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Never saw Jays reply.
Old 20-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by MikeR
is their any bitterness left over from the rs500 deal you guys were on about... just a thought

Mike

I think this is exactly why this has been done , even tho i was 100% on that deal also and the prospective buyer knows that but i feel i have been shafted because of this anyway
Old 20-04-2009, 08:17 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

But the new car was coming along the deal agreed so Paul sold the Saph to Phil, then the Justin backed out of their agreement,

Sorry to hear this Paul

Mike
Old 20-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Mark 3D

I see the name Phil mentioned....Please tell me we're not talking about Phil Boschman!!????
Old 20-04-2009, 08:18 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

gutted for you Paul mate,

the owner of the escos is clearly a man of few morals or principles, fair play to you for sticking with the agreement to sell the saff, i know alot of people wouldnt but al least you have pride & principles

Matt
Old 20-04-2009, 08:18 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes he has the Saph,

Mike

Quick Reply: Gentlemans agreement....... Your thoughts?