General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The Diffuser Three are innocent!

Search this Thread

Old 15-04-2009 | 11:07 AM
It's Czech Mate

Default The Diffuser Three are innocent!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7996698.stm

Old 15-04-2009 | 11:18 AM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Fucking goodnews!!
Go button go^^
Old 15-04-2009 | 11:21 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Yes but in Formula 1 can't you appeal against an appeal and then appeal against that appeal failing those appeals can't you appeal again against that appeal?

International law is more lenient than Formula 1 regulations, it's a joke!
Old 15-04-2009 | 11:31 AM
RUBY123
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

either out come was going to be bad news for button if they lost the appeal they would of had to take the part off which would of made his car slow. and now they have won and allowed to keep it in the next few races all the other teams will have them. and the bad news for button is that the ferraris were quite quick with out one so will be some real competition with one.
Old 15-04-2009 | 11:31 AM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

I just hope Brawn whip everyone^^ They can appeal as much as they want. If it wasn't allowed they've had the chance to say! Hoping for a great season!
Old 15-04-2009 | 11:34 AM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by RUBY123
either out come was going to be bad news for button if they lost the appeal they would of had to take the part off which would of made his car slow. and now they have won and allowed to keep it in the next few races all the other teams will have them. and the bad news for button is that the ferraris were quite quick with out one so will be some real competition with one.
you can't just slap it on and BOOM, quicker laps! read the news report^^ the teams think it'll take a while to get right and god knows how much cash!
Old 15-04-2009 | 11:39 AM
It's Czech Mate

I wouldnt worry about Ferarri too much, they are still not relaible yet and only fast with lighter fuel loads.

and LOL at Kimi's tyre choice at Sepang......Shuey is now banned from the pitwall coincidentally!

Wouldnt rule them out later on though.

Red Bull, Toyota and Williams are all looking good with Renault sure to have a new diffuser on the cards........maybe even Mclaren will salvage something and unlock the potential of this years barge
Old 15-04-2009 | 11:39 AM
RUBY123

it is quite obvious that the big teams have been developing this part as soon as they saw the effect this part had on the cars that it is fitted to because they new the appeal wouldn't stand up but i agree the smaller teams it will take some time but the big teams 2 races max
Old 15-04-2009 | 11:44 AM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

Good. Im glad, as that means the slower cars will get faster, instead of the faster cars having to get slower.......
Old 15-04-2009 | 11:51 AM
RUBY123

totally agree it will be a good season i think the top cars will all be very equally matched in the next few races
Old 15-04-2009 | 11:55 AM
It's Czech Mate

totally agree it will be a good season i think the top cars will all be very equally matched in the next few races
I reckon at leat 4-6 races before we see the final spec new diffusers integrating fully with an aero package to suit for the big teams let alone the small ones.......dont forget a lot of tha cars will have to change the underfloor to make the most of the diffuser........

I predict a good few interim pieces before the final b spec cars come out
Old 15-04-2009 | 12:08 PM
RUBY123

for the big teams it has to be sooner than later or the seasons over before it has begun. because this season looks so conpetive there will be no dominant driver/car when all the cars have all the bits and bobs. on so will be hard to catch people like button up
Old 15-04-2009 | 12:43 PM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

Can anyone else, other than me, smell another controversial development like the Brabham-Alfa 'Fan car' coming along in the lines of the other teams development of these diffusers?

Last edited by doctor stavros; 15-04-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:56 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

most terams will get through this season on the car they have and will be developing next years car from now
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:10 PM
RickDraper

Ferrari, mclaren, bmw, renault, redbull etc will all have b spec cars soon. Ferrari is thought to be spending 20m upwards redesigning the car to utilize a different diffuser.
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:10 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Best outcome for the sport really. It will be interesting if the FIA tighten up the regs for next year though.
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:16 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Originally Posted by dojj
most terams will get through this season on the car they have and will be developing next years car from now
There are no major rule changes for next year though (as far as I know), so next years car will purely be a development of this years car...
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:17 PM
It's Czech Mate

Cobblers, talk is rife of nearly all the teams having rear diffuser upgrades in the next few races, it's far to early to concede, nobody knows how far away from the benchmark they are until they have updated their aero packages.
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:19 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

All the teams will of course now move to adopt the new setup.

Mclaren will then get banned when they do it if they win because they will go 1mm too far or whatever reason the FIA can come up with this time.
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:19 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by RickDraper
Ferrari, mclaren, bmw, renault, redbull etc will all have b spec cars soon. Ferrari is thought to be spending 20m upwards redesigning the car to utilize a different diffuser.
They may have 'interim' cars soon but deffo not full, final B spec cars for a while.

Redbull for instance have to change their whole rear suspension as the pushrods interfere with the planned diffuser.

Mclaren will have to repackage the gearbox

Expect it to be a while before the final solutions appear but 'interim parts' will appear from now!
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:21 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
They may have 'interim' cars soon but deffo not full, final B spec cars for a while.

Redbull for instance have to change their whole rear suspension as the pushrods interfere with the planned diffuser.

Mclaren will have to repackage the gearbox

Expect it to be a while before the final solutions appear but 'interim parts' will appear from now!

Agreed, its not exactly a bolt on change.
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:23 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Chip
All the teams will of course now move to adopt the new setup.

Mclaren will then get banned when they do it if they win because they will go 1mm too far or whatever reason the FIA can come up with this time.
Oooh Persecution Complex.......its not like they havent got themselves into this particular hole themselves is it? Lying to the stewards is pretty clear-cut and in this case they get what they deserve. Pity for the poor guys working theirt balls off back at the factory when a few supid individuals put them all in jeapoardy. Dennis/Whitmarsh/Ryan/Hamilton have a lot to answer for!
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:23 PM
RickDraper

They all have to get the new cars done and on track this season due to the budget cap proposed for next season.
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:24 PM
It's Czech Mate

Agreed, its not exactly a bolt on change.
Exactly, most will have to re engineer their floor too
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:25 PM
It's Czech Mate

They all have to get the new cars done and on track this season due to the budget cap proposed for next season.

Cap isnt set, and we dont know what level if and when it is. There are rule changes for next year too. I'll dig them out in a bit

One thing for sure is it will be closer to 100m than the figure of 30 being bandied around. It's just hard bargaining from Max at the moment.
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:31 PM
RickDraper

Cap isnt set, and we dont know what level if and when it is. There are rule changes for next year too. I'll dig them out in a bit

One thing for sure is it will be closer to 100m than the figure of 30 being bandied around. It's just hard bargaining from Max at the moment.
I agree but they are all better having a car thats pretty sorted to develop from than one that needs Łxxxxx throwing at it ti make it fast next season.
Old 15-04-2009 | 03:28 PM
dojj

so they will be pouring money into designing next years cars to be the best for the limited budgets rather than spending time working out how to make the current cars quicker with lots of money being thrown at them

a full scale change that may be required to give you the edge may run into huge figures, and i didn't realise you could change the basic design of the car during the season, i though they weer suposed to say "here is the car we will be running this season" and be done with it?

correct me if this is not the case though
Old 15-04-2009 | 03:32 PM
It's Czech Mate

so they will be pouring money into designing next years cars to be the best for the limited budgets rather than spending time working out how to make the current cars quicker with lots of money being thrown at them

a full scale change that may be required to give you the edge may run into huge figures, and i didn't realise you could change the basic design of the car during the season, i though they weer suposed to say "here is the car we will be running this season" and be done with it?

correct me if this is not the case though
Consider yourself Corrected. They can bring as many new cars as they like as long as they are compliant with the regulations
Old 15-04-2009 | 03:39 PM
dojj

righty ho then
Old 15-04-2009 | 03:59 PM
Bodge22
Wanna be whore...

Roll on China, and lets hope it's a propper race (the whole distance!!) and one which i can turn the TV on an hr after the race has finished and it still be the same result

Let see what Ferrari come up with next to take to the court of appeal and appeal and appeal
Old 15-04-2009 | 04:12 PM
dojj

i still think that there is some prooving to be done due to both race wins coming in under the safety car, hardly stressing engines and transmissions to the ultimate level if you don't keep pushing for the whole race distance is it, just look at the people who have had accidents because they aren't used to the cars
Old 15-04-2009 | 04:24 PM
It's Czech Mate

Dojj, had there not been safety cars Jenson would still have won both races

Look at the laptimes at the end of each race

Jenson was cruising in Oz, the net gain against him over tha last 6 racing laps was less than half a second, he was doing a Prost and keeping safe

As for Malaysia, you could see he was clearly in the lead and on fresh wets and was happily keeping ahead of everyone.
Old 15-04-2009 | 04:28 PM
Chip

Mondeo Man, you missed Dojj's point.

He was saying that without the safety car, with jenson pushing on for longer, he might have had an engine failure or similar.
Old 15-04-2009 | 04:30 PM
It's Czech Mate

He was saying that without the safety car, with jenson pushing on for longer, he might have had an engine failure or similar.

Well life is full of if's and buts, both the Brawns have finished both the races unlike a lot of the others.

Not sure why people just cant recognise their sucess for what it is rather than try to belittle it with ifs and buts :s
Old 15-04-2009 | 05:10 PM
dojj

Dojj, had there not been safety cars Jenson would still have won both races

Look at the laptimes at the end of each race

Jenson was cruising in Oz, the net gain against him over tha last 6 racing laps was less than half a second, he was doing a Prost and keeping safe

As for Malaysia, you could see he was clearly in the lead and on fresh wets and was happily keeping ahead of everyone.

Well life is full of if's and buts, both the Brawns have finished both the races unlike a lot of the others.

Not sure why people just cant recognise their sucess for what it is rather than try to belittle it with ifs and buts :s
i see both points, but if this weekends race see's a mechanical failure to one of the brawn cars then we may have answered our own questions

not that i'm in any way discounting the fact that it's a fabulous achivement for all the smaller teams who have pulled one out on the big boys
Old 15-04-2009 | 06:46 PM
puddy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Oooh Persecution Complex.......its not like they havent got themselves into this particular hole themselves is it? Lying to the stewards is pretty clear-cut and in this case they get what they deserve. Pity for the poor guys working theirt balls off back at the factory when a few supid individuals put them all in jeapoardy. Dennis/Whitmarsh/Ryan/Hamilton have a lot to answer for!
Thing is , this is how f1 has always been with other teams trying to gain

any sort of advantage, let alone schuies antics in 94 and 97 and

whatever year he parked his ferrari on the last corner in qualifying

at monaco !

Just seems mclaren recieve more penalties than others for some reason ?

puddy
Old 15-04-2009 | 06:50 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Originally Posted by doesntbelong
Yes but in Formula 1 can't you appeal against an appeal and then appeal against that appeal failing those appeals can't you appeal again against that appeal?

International law is more lenient than Formula 1 regulations, it's a joke!
I am sure, failing all that, the other teams can appeal.....
Old 15-04-2009 | 07:00 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by puddy
Thing is , this is how f1 has always been with other teams trying to gain

any sort of advantage, let alone schuies antics in 94 and 97 and

whatever year he parked his ferrari on the last corner in qualifying

at monaco !

Just seems mclaren recieve more penalties than others for some reason ?

puddy

Dont start me on the big chinned cheating german bastard
Old 15-04-2009 | 07:02 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Really surprised we havn't had a meeting at work yet as we normally do when theres problems etc so we have the low down on whats going on etc, probably will soon thou now the appeal has finished!!

Didnt they say that one of the new rules is they cant test the car thou once the seasons started other than before the practice races?!

Wish i had some breaking news but alas, watch this space
Old 15-04-2009 | 07:14 PM
It's Czech Mate

yup, only 100km of straightline testing is allowed in season

Friday practise will sure be busier than normal from now on